Exil

Forum Update Feedback, version 4.2

Apparently the quote is much safer now. I so far avoided to add a quote after I started typing the message, because quote used to delete all of that, and also another quote replaced the first quote(s), but now it seems that all gets added to the bottom of the post, without having to use MultiQuote  - "quote this" can't be used with MultiQuote, but now it (hopefully) is safe for multiple use.

Edited by Akinomaki

The navigational parts at the top of the forum look very squished together now...maybe some whitespace can be added between "Forums/Calendar/Guidelines/Staff/Online Users" and the hierarchical location of the thread (e.g. the "Home > NON-SUMO RELATED SUBJECTS > Public Feedback > Forum Update Feedback, version 4.2" line of this thread)?

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

:'-(Not more whitespace please! There's far too much whitespace already.

I think there's some confusion here. I'm talking about the difference between this:

Forum1.png

and this:

Forum2.png

The main problem is that the catchment area of Forums/Calendar/etc. extends all the way down to the horizontal line and there's no unresponsive space at all, which makes this area prone to misclicking if you want to click on something in the Home/etc. section. A single linefeed would help a lot. Modern UIs shouldn't try to emulate badly designed 1990s adventure games and force users to pixel-hunt. (The lack of space between Home and the Nihon Sumo Kyokai etc. buttons is also an issue, but those only exist on the front page, so it's less of a problem, although it looks pretty ugly as well.)

And while I'm wishing back design details from the old version - can we please get back to the navy blue background for the forum section headers instead of the off-white IPS default colour?

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

I would rather like to have the "Home" line completely vanish. Home is the same link as Browse and there is plenty of space above or better next to the new "Start new topic" for the "Mark site read" button and the custom activity button(s).

Edited by Akinomaki

22 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

I would rather like to have the "Home" line completely vanish. Home is the same link as Browse and there is plenty of space above or better next to the new "Start new topic" for the "Mark site read" button and the custom activity button(s).

No, don't disappear this line altogether! While clicking on the "Home" portion of the line is the same as clicking the "Home" tab, the line contains the hierarchy of the thread, any portion of which can be clicked. Very useful.

My gripe is just the amount of useless whitespace that you have to scroll through to get to any real content. All the bells and whistles have their own whitespace. The ratio of real content to window space is very poor.

Positioning to the first unread post in threads with slow loading pics is acting up again.

I got a new PM in an existing PM thread, I received the browser notification and the notification list showed a 1,  but the whole thread is gone from the notification list and the inbox (still at 88%).

Edited by Akinomaki

On 31.7.2017 at 14:53, Asashosakari said:

And while I'm wishing back design details from the old version - can we please get back to the navy blue background for the forum section headers instead of the off-white IPS default colour?

i second that

maybe we can get an option to change  the look

It's getting tedious to delete all those double posts that the forum editor produces because of a 2nd click to the save button after no save seems to occur - but actually already has hideously happened.

Oh, and now I see that "liking" is so 2016. In these brave days of the present, I'm notified about people "reacting". And reaction comes in exactly five flavors, it seems. That simplyfies life, I'm sure.

I think I have now a new occupation goal. I'd like to become a "Senior Semantic Field Advisor" for some moronic New Age of Technology Rubber Room start-up, that will be happy to throw money at me for inventing terms like "fee-L-ink" (works all ways, always) or "Sub-Mission".

I had a weird error during edit of a large post: selecting text caused the "Quote this" button to appear and made editing extremely difficult - I had to cancel and try again - again the button: it really did the quote. I somehow managed to edit the text, quoted it and went to another thread to paste it. There this problem didn't appear, after I went back it also didn't appear again.

Ah, I now get the "Update in progress - site unavailable" message - likely the reason for this.

Edited by Akinomaki

The "Update in progress" the other day brought back the PM thread in my inbox I though to have been slaughtered by the update - with 3 new messages for which I got notifications but without a thread to open and read them.

On 7/31/2017 at 12:47, Akinomaki said:

I have added another bookmark for the forum to my sumo folder, in the form http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/profile/xxxx-***member***/#elProfileTabs_content for my profile contents - scrolls to down to the part I want to see: add the #elProfileTabs_content part to your profile address to use it for your information. I also disabled the usual notifications, because they are useless in the present form.

This content list also is a relatively quick way for me to access my recent posts, which still may have parts to correct.

In this list the detailed information about the notifications disappears after a while, and you can't see which post exactly got the notification, only the thread and a link to that post is provided. But there is another more detailed notification list:

At last I found out what the "See reputation activity" link is for, I so far hadn't looked further after the empty list that appears at first - the list for posts should be the default to show, not the status updates. You get to the notifications directly by adding: reputation/?type=forums_topic_post#elUserReputation

to a profile URL. There you have the text of the post for which reputation is given, but unfortunately no link to the post. The full text of the post (text-only, no html and no quotes) may be shown for an instant when the page loads - it is in the code of the page, but gets truncated immediately. This page would be a bit more useful with a link to the post and a possibility to display the hidden text, e.g. on mouseover.

This list is a bit mixed up, e.g. sometimes double entries, not all chronological etc. Another difference to the list on the main profile page is that likes given during anonymous login are not listed, but are on the main page - this 2nd list doesn't count as profile view BTW.

Edited by Akinomaki

Do we still have the ability to limit or possibly sort the forums that will be included in the Unread Content display?

On 7/31/2017 at 08:53, Asashosakari said:

can we please get back to the navy blue background for the forum section headers instead of the off-white IPS default colour?

Do other color settings still exist? IIRC there were at least 2 before, now I can't find a place to change them at all.

You can follow members whose content you are interested in, but immediate notification does not work for some reason. Also, deleted topics are not able to be restored as they used to be in earlier versions.

Not new for me was that new topics get posted multiple times when apparently nothing happens after clicking the "submit topic" button  and thus I click on it again - but I never noticed that the first new topic is even a new unread post for me who posted it - the own posts else are never shown as unread.

I think I now can pinpoint when the unread indicator of new posts gets lost, though I hadn't read them: if a new post arrives while I read a thread and I read that - also if I go to the next page and have them there unnoticed. Then the other older unread posts are marked read - and I have to tediously find out which they had been. Sometimes by chance days later, when one gets quoted, I wonder why I had overlooked the original post.

I can no longer find in the quotes the link to the original post - this is very annoying and makes it impossible to spot an original post from another thread.

21 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

I can no longer find in the quotes the link to the original post - this is very annoying and makes it impossible to spot an original post from another thread.

Do you mean the arrow in the upper right corner of the quoted box?

5 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Do you mean the arrow in the upper right corner of the quoted box?

Yes - I only know there was a link somewhere in the header, I don't remember where exactly and how it looked - but recently I have none anymore.

Edited by Akinomaki

16 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Yes - I only know there was a link somewhere in the header, I don't remember where exactly and how it looked - but recently I have none anymore.

That's strange, because the arrow is still there for me (although nearly invisibly grey when not moused-over).

11 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

That's strange, because the arrow is still there for me (although nearly invisibly grey when not moused-over).

There is nothing for me now - even the invisible "like"-button reveals itself by a change of mouse cursor, but in the quote header now at every location, on click the quote itself folds up.

Edited by Akinomaki

3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

There is nothing for me now - even the invisible "like"-button reveals itself by a change of mouse cursor, but in the quote header now at every location, on click the quote itself folds up.

Try the upper right corner where the cursor changes shape.