Sign in to follow this  
Bumpkin

San-sho Speculation:

On 23.7.2017 at 16:49, Akinomaki said:

-  or is he leaking inside information as revenge for being ousted from that post?  - which would mean that actually the shimpan-bu creates the list of who may get a sansho and the media people only vote on what is presented to them.

I think the occasional news and social media coverage we've got of past sansho meetings has demonstrated that the media members can and will make proposals of their own. I suppose it's also possible that they're getting a lead from the shimpan-bu, but that's clearly not all that's happening.

7 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

So, for anyone who knows how to mine the database better than I, was there ever a playoff bout between a Maegashira wrestler and a Yokozuna, let alone a Maegashira defeating a Yokozuna in a playoff bout?

Maegashira are 0-17 against sanyaku opponents in playoffs.

13 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Maegashira are 0-17 against sanyaku opponents in playoffs.

Thanks for checking. ;-)  But how many of those "sanyaku opponents" were actually Yokozunas?  The answer should help determine if I am right about Maegashiras who win playoffs against Yokozunas automatically winning Shukunshos...

4 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Thanks for checking. ;-)  But how many of those "sanyaku opponents" were actually Yokozunas?  The answer should help determine if I am right about Maegashiras who win playoffs against Yokozunas automatically winning Shukunshos...

Click on Asashosakari's link and see for yourself.

Of the 2 sekiwake (the others were all ozeki or yokozuna at the time), 1 maxed out there, the other became Yokozuna later in his career

Edited by Fukurou

I see from Asashosakari's link that there have been 8 occasions where a Maegashira has faced a Yokozuna in a playoff.  

I had completely forgotten about the November 2010 playoff between Toyonoshima and Hakuho.  So, I checked who the Sansho candidates were in that tournament, and learned that despite being awarded both the Fighting Spirit and Technique Prizes, Toyonoshima was not being considered for the Outstanding Performance Prize, even if he were to have defeated Hakuho in the playoff!  

So my theory about Maegashira wrestlers who defeat Yokozunas in playoff bouts automatically qualifying for the Shukunsho/Outstanding Performance Prize is faulty.  That is not to say that it shouldn't be made a rule, however.  And even if it were a rule, history seems to suggest that it would never actually come into effect.