Sign in to follow this  
Bumpkin

San-sho Speculation:

Day 10:

Shukun-sho: K1e Yoshikaze (6-4)

Kanto-sho: M4e Ura (6-4)

Gino-sho: S1w Mitakeumi (7-3)

Day 11:

Shukun-sho: S1w Mitakeumi (8-3) and K1e Yoshikaze (7-4)

Kanto-sho: M4e Ura (6-5) and M6w Onosho (9-2)

Gino-sho: S1w Mitakeumi (8-3)

Day 12:

Shukun-sho: S1w Mitakeumi (8-4) and K1e Yoshikaze (8-4)

Kanto-sho: M8e Aoiyama (10-2)

Gino-sho: S1w Mitakeumi (8-4)

Note: M4e Ura (6-6) not on pace for kachi-koshi.

Day 13:

Shukun-sho: S1w Mitakeumi (8-5)

Kanto-sho: M8e Aoiyama (11-2)

Gino-sho: K1e Yoshikaze (9-4)

Ya, I'd say those are the standouts so far, though I don't know enough to differentiate between the G and S criteria. Tochinoshin can also still achieve a 10 win, kinboshi joi-jin tournament, so he'd be the next guy for me.

In my mind, Yoshikaze is more deserving of a Kantosho than a Ginosho.  Almost all of his wins this tournament are by yorikiri, plus one sukinage and a fuzen.  That doesn't scream technique to me.  What I love about Yoshikaze is that he is fearless and willing to get get beat up and slapped around, but never gives up.

How many times does it need to be said that the gino-sho isn't even nominally about variety or rarity of kimarite?  The facts that the English name has "technique" and that "kimarite" is translated as "winning technique" have nothing to do with each other.  "Kimarite" is better translated simply as "deciding move", and "gino(u)" as "(technical) skill".  The gino-sho is (nominally) about rikishi who show great technical skill regardless of strength, size, luck, etc. 

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Katooshu said:

Ya, I'd say those are the standouts so far, though I don't know enough to differentiate between the G and S criteria. Tochinoshin can also still achieve a 10 win, kinboshi joi-jin tournament, so he'd be the next guy for me.

Speculation based on: If the basho ended today, who would. 

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

In my mind, Yoshikaze is more deserving of a Kantosho than a Ginosho.  Almost all of his wins this tournament are by yorikiri, plus one sukinage and a fuzen.  That doesn't scream technique to me.  What I love about Yoshikaze is that he is fearless and willing to get get beat up and slapped around, but never gives up.

I agree. Yoshikaze does have great fighting spirit. 

My speculation going into Day 15:

Mitakeumi for shukun-sho

Aoiyama for kanto-sho

Onosho for kanto-sho

Hokutofuji for gino-sho

Yoshikazu, Tochinoshin and Tochiozan's names will come up in the committee meeting as well

Day 14:

Shukun-sho: S1w Mitakeumi (8-6)

Kanto-sho: M5w Tochiozan (11-3) and K1e Yoshikaze (9-5) Contingent on winning.

Gino-sho: M8e Aoiyama (12-2)

Edited by Bumpkin
K1e Yoshikaze (9-5) Contingent on winning.

The senshuraku matchup between Aoiyama and Yoshikaze smacks of a "whoever wins gets the Kantosho" situation.

3 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

The senshuraku matchup between Aoiyama and Yoshikaze smacks of a "whoever wins gets the Kantosho" situation.

I agree and have edited my post above.

List is out:

Mitakeumi gets the shukun-sho

Aoiyama gets the kanto-sho

The following three have to win to get their prizes:

Hokutofuji for kanto-sho

Onosho for kanto-sho

Yoshikaze for gino-sho

Edited by WAKATAKE
  • Like 1

Hmmm, Yoshikaze had a good tournament, but nothing special, gee I wonder who he is fighting today? Oh yeah, Aoiyama.

The sumo association were too slow to pull Aoiyama up to prove his record, and so now they are offering Yoshikaze a substantial incentive in both money and prestige to take him out.

Edited by Rigel

Official link: http://sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoMain/champions/

You missed Aoiyama getting Shukun-sho if he wins, so there's a prize for the winner of that match either way.

Onosho and Hokutofuji do not face each other though, so we might see 3 Kanto-sho.

Edited by Gurowake

1 minute ago, Gurowake said:

You missed Aoiyama getting Shukun-sho if he wins.

That was just now added. I had the page open and it wasn't mentioned, but I figured I should refresh before saying you were wrong, and hey, there it is.

21 minutes ago, Rigel said:

Hmmm, Yoshikaze had a good tournament, but nothing special, gee I wonder who he is fighting today? Oh yeah, Aoiyama.

The sumo association were too slow to pull Aoiyama up to prove his record, and so now they are offering Yoshikaze a substantial incentive in both money and prestige to take him out.

Not the same people who make both decisions.

1 minute ago, Asashosakari said:

You might not be sufficiently paranoid :tinfoil:

3 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Hokutoumi for kanto-sho

Not only will this be the first time a yokozuna has won a sansho, but it will also be the first time a retired rikishi and a rijicho has won a sansho.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Gurowake said:

You missed Aoiyama getting Shukun-sho if he wins, so there's a prize for the winner of that match either way.

Onosho and Hokutofuji do not face each other though, so we might see 3 Kanto-sho.

Yeah that wasn't there when I first posted. Although the NSK website says he'll get the shukun-sho if he wins, both Nikkan and NHK are saying he has to win the yusho to get the shukun-sho.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1860410.html

4 minutes ago, McBugger said:

Not only will this be the first time a yokozuna has won a sansho, but it will also be the first time a retired rikishi and a rijicho has won a sansho.

Unfortunately it didn't happen today! 

No balls, it would have been a bold decision to give a sansho to someone who is not even active.

I guess Kyoukai still retain a certain amount of sanity.

Also Aoiyama goes 13-2. Who would have thought?

The kyokai site has been all over the place today, but it looks now like no Shukunsho for Aoiyama.  Just two prizes...Shukun for Mitakeumi and Kanto for Aoiyama

Yes looks like Nikkan and NHK were right - no yusho means Aoiyama has to be content with just the kantosho. 

10 hours ago, Asashosakari said:
10 hours ago, Rigel said:

Unless we believe ex-shimpan-bucho Isegahama, who on NHK said the other day after being asked about a sansho for Hokutofuji, that the shimpan department members all would decide on that. He obviously mixed it up with sanyaku promotion, about which he was asked a bit earlier.

-  or is he leaking inside information as revenge for being ousted from that post?  - which would mean that actually the shimpan-bu creates the list of who may get a sansho and the media people only vote on what is presented to them.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

So the "if he wins" for Aoiyama was simply a different "win" than usual.

The NHK broadcast definitely suggested that an Aoiyama senshuraku win would secure him a Shukunsho.  Misleading, to say the least.  

However, it does make sense.  First, you should realize that Aoiyama had not faced any Yokozunas in Nagoya, and thus was technically not eligible.  However, if Hakuho had lost to Harumafuji, a playoff bout would have been held.  Then, IF Aoiyama had defeated Hakuho, he would have qualified for Shukunsho consideration.  This had to be included in the final day's Sansho announcements, because it was a (very outside) possibility.  

If ever a rank-and-file wrestler defeats a Yokozuna in a playoff bout, that would automatically qualify him for a Shukunsho.  That makes perfect sense to me (now that I've let this percolate).  So, for anyone who knows how to mine the database better than I, was there ever a playoff bout between a Maegashira wrestler and a Yokozuna, let alone a Maegashira defeating a Yokozuna in a playoff bout?