Kintamayama

Quote of the Day-Nagoya 2017

15 posts in this topic

Day 1- Juryo Aminishiki the veteran won his first match and his wife gave birth to their third child: " I was present in the delivery room (to be present in Japanese : tachi-atta). My (sumo) tachiai was good as well.. I want to be a father that my kids will be proud of, so I plan to return to the joi ranks!!"

Day 2- Yoshikaze, asked about his good record against Goueidou: "There isn't a single opponent that is easy to face so I get nervous regardless. I love that tension. It's great being an osumo-san!! (rikishi)!!"

15 people like this

Day 3-Tochinoshin, beating Kisenosato and getting a kinboshi: "It feels great, really.. When my Oyakata is commentating on TV, I don't lose.."

Day 4- Yoshikaze, getting the freebie today: "I don't feel anything special. Of course it's not the same as usual., but it's not a feeling of wonder.."

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

Day 5:

Ikioi, on beating Yokozuna Kisenosato for the first time in 16 attempts: "I'm truly happy. I told myself that whatever happens, I'll give it all I have.."

Tochinoshin, losing to Ura by getting his leg held: "What an embarrassing way to lose. My opponent has a face like a little kid's and is sooo cute.. Damn it.."

Harumafuji, beating Hokutofuji in their first-ever bout: "One after the other, these kids of the "new age" are coming at us.. When I was coming up I had guys like Asashouryuu to face, and more than looking forward to that, I was terrified.."

Edited by Kintamayama
11 people like this

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Day 5:

Tochinoshin, losing to Ura by getting his leg held: "What an embarrassing way to lose. My opponent has a face like a little kid's and is sooo cute.. Damn it.."

Harumafuji, beating Hokutofuji in their first-ever bout: "One after the other, these kids of the "new age" are coming at us.. When I was coming up I had guys like Asashouryuu to face, and more than looking forward to that, I was terrified.."

(Whateverabove,itisfunny...)

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Oh come on, you made this up. I expected something more like an annoyed grunt from the annoyed grunt. 

14 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Oh come on, you made this up. I expected something more like an annoyed grunt from the annoyed grunt. 

I couldn't if I tried. Tochinoshin, together with Yoshikaze, Aminishiki and Kaisei, usually provide good stuff for this thread.Ditto for their upset TV interviews-always something out of the ordinary to say.

1 person likes this

Just now, Kintamayama said:

I couldn't if I tried. Tochinoshin, together with Yoshikaze, Aminishiki and Kaisei, usually provide good stuff for this thread.Ditto for their upset TV interviews-always something out of the ordinary to say.

I think Tochinoshin and i could be friends, Ura really is kawaii :-D

Day 6:

Tochinoshin, losing to Takayasu after a great bout: "It's frustrating. I attacked but my opponent was skillful. My arm is killing me..It would have been great if I had won today.."

Ura, beating his nemesis Takakeishou who he has never beaten before: "I went in without thinking anything. I can't believe I faced Takakeishou as Makuuchi high rankers..."(They used to face each other once a week when Takakeishou used to come for degeiko to Osaka University as a Junior high student once a week (5 years younger than Ura..) and beat his ass. "It's not something you forget," said Ura..)

Hokutofuji, losing to Hakuhou: "I've been following Hakuhou since i was a kid and I can't believe I banged bodies with him.."

5 people like this

Day 7:

Tamawashi, losing to Tochinoshin, not being able to slap him out: "I know he was also going all out but I'd like him to wipe his sweat a bit more. He was all slippery.." 

Ooooh... that sounds like a lot of whining..

7 people like this

Day 8: Yoshikaze , losing to Kotoshougiku and losing 4 straight after winning four straight: "When my opponent gets his left hand grip, he is really strong. As I was walking up the hanamichi after the loss I heard a fan shouting to me that I should study sumo more..I agree.."

Tamawashi, surprisingly going for a right overhand grip instead of his usual pushing /slapping, and subsequently losing: "I have a good record against him so it's too bad.. My own sumo, where did you go?"

Edited by Kintamayama
4 people like this

On 7/15/2017 at 19:45, Kintamayama said:

Day 7:

Tamawashi, losing to Tochinoshin, not being able to slap him out: "I know he was also going all out but I'd like him to wipe his sweat a bit more. He was all slippery.." 

Ooooh... that sounds like a lot of whining..

I always wondered if rikishi left their body sweaty as a kind of strategy. In such a massively contact sport it would certainly make a difference…

Day 9-interview with Ura, after he beat Harumafuji today:

Q:"It's your first  kinboshi.."

A: "I'm able to do my own sumo and go at it with all my might and to my limit.  I'm happy..'

Q: "You grabbed your opponent's arm.."

A: "It became the kind of sumo where my body moved on its own.."

Q: "What did you feel the minute you won?"

A: "I really don't know.."

Q:"When you came off the dohyo you looked totally amazed."

A: "I can't believe this."

Q:"Did you dream of facing a Yokozuna?"

A::"I'm having difficulty speaking.."

Q: "Are you crying?"

A: "Well, a bit..I'm happy I was able to go all out.."

【取組後一問一答】宇良、日馬富士から涙の初金星 「もうちょっと(言葉が)出て来ない」/名古屋場所(1)

Edited by Kintamayama
11 people like this

I wonder if there is some tension between Tamawashi and Tochinoshin. They had stare down last basho, and after that match Tamawashi seemed to give Tochinoshin (who won with a henka) a dirty look.

Incidentally, aside from Tamawashi's complaints about the sweat, I believe that Kisenosato has complained about Tochinoshin's mawashi being too loose to effectively grip.

Edited by Katooshu

Day 10-Hakkaku Rijicho on Ura, watching his moves: "For decades, nay, for centuries, there has never been such daring sumo..,"

2 people like this

Just noticed what looks to be a nasty scar on Ura's left wrist.  Given that it is always heavily taped during his bouts, I suppose Ura has had surgery on his wrist...?  Bit of a hack job by the looks of the scar, though.

sum17071718050006-p1.jpg

Edited by Amamaniac
1 person likes this