Kintamayama

Sumo in the World Games

World games next weekend in Poland. Sumo. I need help regarding who is participating, what countries, in short- any info will be greatly appreciated., Can't find anything on the internet.

I've been meaning to start a thread for this - but decided against it because I also wasn't able to find all that much decent concrete information so far. (Laughing...) Next-next weekend though, right? (Parallel to Nagoya Days 14-15.)

But now that I'm looking again, I've literally just now come across this participants list - linked from here, i.e. annoyingly hidden in the press section rather than front and center where the average site visitor might actually find it, and not even on the actual event site. Anyway, that's a lot more than I had before today, which was just two countries' sumo nominations (GER and JPN) and a partly incorrect quota list.

So, the nominated sumotori:

Men Lightweight (16 15):
AUS (2) - Joel KINDRED (29), Thomas TRAILL (18)
BRA (1) - Cristiano SILVA MORI (31)
EGY (3 2) - Fathy ABOUELROKB (20), Elsaed Ahmed GABR ELDERS (33), Mohamed Gamal Sedek Elsefy ABDELRAHMAN EHAB (18)
JPN (1) - Isao SHIBAOKA (24)
MGL (1) - Badral BAASANDORJ (24)
POL (2) - Patryk SWORA (24), Pawel WOJDA (24)
RUS (1) - Batyr ALTYEV (25)
THA (1) - Jakkrapong CHAORUNGMETEE (40)
UKR (1) - Kostiantyn BULATOV (25)
USA (2) - Trent SABO (35), Andrew FREUND (46)
VEN (1) - Oscar HERNANDEZ (32)

Men Middleweight (17 16 17 15):
AUS (2) - Eoghn Jorge TIVOLI (37), Daniel BAZZANA (28)
BRA (2 1) - Takahiro HIGUCHI (34), Flavio Tooru KOSAIHIRA
EGY (2 1) - Misbah HOSSAM (27), Yousaf ABDELWAHAB (18)
GEO (1) - Giorgi MESHVILDISHVILI (25)
IND (1 0) - Jaskanwar SINGH (24)
JPN (2) - Kiyoyuki NOGUCHI (26), Hayato MIWA (22)
MGL (0 1) - Usukhbayar OCHIRKHUU (26)
POL (2) - Michal LUTO (27), Aron ROZUM (27)
RUS (1) - Atsamaz KAZIEV (31)
UKR (1) - Mykola KOZHUKHOV (23)
USA (2) - Colton RUNYAN (27), Kena HEFFERNAN (43)
VEN (1) - Wlater RIVAS (34)

Men Heavyweight (18 16):
BRA (3 1) - Takahiro HIGUCHI, Flavio Tooru KOSAIHIRA (41), Hector MONTI
EGY (2) - Ramy BELAL (33), Ibrahim ABDELLATIF (20)
GEO (1) - Avtandil TSERTSVADZE (36)
HKG (1) - Tsz Shing Brandon NG (26)
JPN (2) - Kojiro KUROKAWA (22), Soichiro KUROKAWA (25)
MGL (2) - Byambajav ULAMBAYAR (32), Natsagdorj DUGERSUREN (27)
POL (1) - Jacek PIERSIAK (29)
RUS (2) - Vasilii MARGIEV (32), Eduard KUDZOEV (25)
UKR (2) - Oleksandr VERESIUK (28), Serhii SOKOLOVSKYI (20)
USA (2) - Michael WIETECHA (34), Mark LAWRENCE (29)

Women Lightweight (17 15 16 15):
BRA (1) - Luciana MONTGOMERY W. HIGUCHI (32)
GER (1) - Julia DORNY (27)
HUN (1) - Fruzsina FORGO (25)
JPN (1) - Yuka OKUTOMI (19)
MGL (2 1) - Battugs TUMEN-OD, Undrakhzaya NYAMSUREN (22)
NOR (1) - Rikke Juell BUGGE (23)
POL (2 3) - Monika SKIBA (29), Magdalena MACIOS (27), Aleksandra ROZUM (19)
RUS (2 1) - Vera KOVAL (33), Daria IBRAGIMOVA
TPE (1) - Hui-Shan HSIAO (29)
UKR (2 1) - Alina BOYKOVA (32), Svitlana TROSIUK (29)
USA (2) - Janna VAN WITBECK (44), Jenelle HAMILTON (36)
VEN (1) - Euscaris PEREIRA (27)

Women Middleweight (17 16):
BRA (3) - Fernanda ROJAS PELEGRINI (38), Daniela Fatima VAQUEIRO (35), Juliana DE PAULA MEDEIROS (34)
GER (1) - Kerstin SCHMIDTSDORF (39)
JPN (2) - Asano OTA (31), Hikaru MIZUNUMA (17)
MGL (1) - Munkhtsetseg OTGON (29)
POL (2) - Olimpia ROBAKOWSKA (24), Marina ROZUM (29)
RUS (2) - Anna ALEKSANDROVA (30), Ekaterina ALEKSEEVA (30)
THA (1) - Kamonchanok AMNUAYPOL (25)
UKR (1) - Maryna MAKSYMENKO (29)
USA (2 1) - Cody STOUT, Sonya DEL GALLEGO (34)
VEN (2) - Ofelia BARRIOS (32), Yaseny CASTILLO (35)

Women Heavyweight (17 16):
BRA (1) - Sarah GOMES (17)
GER (2) - Anika SCHULZE (33), Johanna Doris SCHUMANN (33)
HUN (2) - Erika MAKAI (40), Vivien SARKANY (21)
JPN (1) - Yuka UETA (25)
MGL (2 1) - Batchimeg BAAST (35), Zoljargal DAGVADORJ
POL (1) - Jagoda MAZUREK (21)
RUS (3) - Olga DAVYDKO (31), Ekaterina GORDEEVA (23), Anna POLIAKOVA (35)
THA (1) - Viparat VITUTEERASAN (23)
UKR (2) - Mariia DRBOIAN (22), Ivanna BEREZOVSKA (26)
USA (1) - Natalie BURNS (35)
VEN (1) - Maria CEDENO (30)

I'm a bit confused by those numbers because I was under the impression that each division is limited to 16 quota places, but maybe I was just mistaken about that.

There's supposed to be World Games livestreaming on the World Games Channel and the IOC's Olympic Channel, as well as actual TV coverage in selected countries. (I know the TV rights have been sold for the German-speaking countries and I presume also in Poland, no idea about anywhere else.) Remains to be seen how much of the live coverage is actually of sumo rather than other sports.

Results will become available on this database site, which is the same system they used in 2013. There's also the official event site, but if their pre-event performance is any indication, it's going to be almost completely useless.

Edit: Forgot one thing - I'm not sure what to think about Brazil apparently nominating two men for both the middleweight and the heavyweight. No idea if that's correct, or why it would be allowed if it is.

Edit again: Corrected based on later information, and competitors' ages added.

More edit: 2 new competitors added.

And one last: Corrected for late scratches.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 4

Site says there are 48 men and 48 women. Thank you so much for this. We're getting it live on one of the sports channel and I'm doing the commentary . they still don't get it that it's not THAT kind of sumo-boy are they going to be disappointed by the white-gloved gyojis.. I need to learn a bit about who they are, their past and stuff-I'll start checking now. Thanks again.

• Like 2

German Lightweight Julia Dorny with Hakuho in 2016.... She is definitely an eye-catcher  (Noddingyes...)

Ganzohnesushi

Ooops... for some reason the photo was not published...

Edited by Ganzohnesushi
  • Like 1

Anybody know who the favorites are? Who have won championships in the past? Are the Japanese college guys or older? Any info will be appreciated.

Haven't really dug into the names yet and I suspect I'm too far out of amasumo stuff these days to have any useful opinions on who's good, but just for the sake of completeness: If I'm not mistaken then Asano Ota (women's MW) is identical to Asano Matsuura who won the bronze in that division at the last World Games in 2013. The original Japanese team list from back in March still had Asano Matsuura for that spot, and it would be rather surprising if she's been replaced by another same-given name competitor.

It it helps, we had complete results and several videos from the 2013 Games on here, and several other athletes were also in that one already. (Unfortunately the various forum updates have wrecked the formatting of the results.) I think our coverage of the recent few World Championships has been pretty woeful, largely due to a lack of sources. The IFS site does list at least the medal winners (in the Results sections), if you want to go digging through that.

And yeah, it's normally 48 per gender (3 divisions of 16 each, then all 48 in the openweight as well), which is why I'm surprised that they've seemingly given out more spots in some divisions this time. Of course, with the perpetual mess that is the IFS, maybe they just screwed up the allocation process and ended up with additional qualifiers by mistake.

I haven't checked, but among the Japanese men's competitors I'm pretty sure we've seen Miwa and the two Kurokawas mentioned around here a few times.

If we're lucky, we're going to get a list like this (from 2013) a few days before the tournament on the competition database, so we'll at least know how old everybody is. If we're extremely lucky they might even include height/weight data this time, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

Edited by Asashosakari

Are the "World Games" a poor man's Olympics?

2 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

Are the "World Games" a poor man's Olympics?

I suppose you could put it that way . As someone said "it's the Olympics for the dud sports" .. with the exception of sumo of course. Everyone tries to get in to watch the sumo. In Taiwan , security was so bad .They let so many athletes in from other sports that they were even taking seats in the marshalling area from those about to compete. This year accreditation is as hard to get as a masu zeki on senshuraku. I am Vice President of the IFS and even I had to pay 60 Euros a day just to get a card to be able to get my team ready.   

I'll help you out as much as I can Kintamayama as I will be taking a team from Oz. It was meant to be a combined Oceania team but all the kiwis pulled out for various reasons. ISL (International Sumo League ) put spanner in the works .They have been sleazing around behind the backs of each Federation trying to poach individual athletes with contracts for their re-incarnation of the failed World Sumo League. Some took the bait but it looks like it probably won't get off the ground as proposed in August. I don't have a problem with Athletes taking the rare opportunities to earn money (although it changes their amateur status) but ISL could at least have the common courtesy to go through the proper channels when they deliberately plan to clash with other events.  

Here is what we were sent in January .It explains how the quotas were decided and who gained IFS pre-selection. Any additional spots that weren't filled were re-allocated to other countries.   

"Based on IFS board of director meeting in year 2016, IFS will select top 3 athletes per each weight category.  2 Tops athletes per category from each continent and 1 athlete per category from hosting country (Poland).  Open weight will be included in Heavyweight.  

All 96 athletes will compete as oneself weight class (Light/Middle/Heavy) and compete as Openweight on 2nd day of competition

Quota breakdown as below;

IFS Qualiification procedure World Games;

Each continental select 2 athletes for each category

Lightweight(軽)

Athlete

Middleweight(中)

Athlete

Heavyweight(重)

Athlete

2 Athlete x 6 Continentals x 3 Catagories = 36 Athlete

2選手×6大陸×3階級=36選手)

Hosting country has right to despatch 1 athletes each category = 3 athletes

(国から各階級1名づつ=3選手)

IFS will recommend 3 athletes per category = 9 athletes

So pleased to make official announcement of top athletes that IFS sport director has selected from past year championships results;

Lightweight Men – Mr. ALTYEV, Batyr (RUS

Mr. MAIL ABOU EL ROKB, Fathy Mohamed (EGY)

Mr. BAASANDORJ, Badral  (MGL)

Middleweight Men – Mr. MIWA, Hayato (JPN)

Mr. LUTO, Michal (POL)

Mr. KAZIEV, Atsamaz (RUS)

Heavyweight (Open)  - Mr. BAASANSUREN, Turbold (MGL) * withdraw

-          Mr. MARGIEV, Vasilii (RUS)

-          Mr. KUROKAWA, Kojiro (JPN)

-          Mr. KUDZOEV, Eduard  (RUS) * replace the vacancy from Mr. Baasansuren (MGL)

Lightweight (Women) – Ms. BOYKOVA, Alina (UKR)

-          Ms. YAMANAKA, Miku (JPN)

-          Ms. KOVAL, Vera (RUS)

Middleweight (Women) – Ms. MAKSYMENKO, Maryna (UKR)

-          OTGON, Munkhtsetseg (MGL)

-          ALEXANDROVA, Anna (RUS)

Heavyweight (Open) – Ms. POLIAKOVA, Anna (RUS)

-          Ms. KHISHIGDORJ, Sunjidmaa (MGL)

-          Ms. DRBOIAN, Mariia (UKR)

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Anybody know who the favorites are? Who have won championships in the past? Are the Japanese college guys or older? Any info will be appreciated.

From what I can find......

Men's Lightweight

Shibaoka Isao (柴岡 功) finished 3rd in the Lightweight competition at last year's World Championship. He graduated from Nippon Sport Science University, and currently works at Yodobashi Camera.

Men's Middleweight

Noguchi Kiyoyuki (野口 清之) was the winner of the Middleweight competition at the World Championships in 2014. He graduated from Nihon University, and is now a teacher at Nagasaki Prefectural Yukokan High School.

Miwa Hayato (三輪 隼斗) was the winner of the Middleweight competition at the World Championships last year. He also won the 32rd College Sumo Uwajima Tournament in 2015, as well as the Open Weight Competition at the 41st College Sumo Class-by-Class Tournament last year, beating Turbold in the final by Shitatedashinage. Can't find where he's gone to since graduation.

Men's Heavyweight

Kurokawa Soichiro (黒川 宗一郎), the older of the Kurokawa siblings, finished 3rd in the Open Weight Competition at last year's World Championships. He graduated from Takushoku University, and currently works at Aisin Light Metals, winning the 64th All Japan College & Corporate Sumo Kariya Tournament last year. However, he has been unlucky in the All Japan Sumo Championships, being a runner-up twice (in 2014 and 2015, losing to Mitakeumi and Turbold respectively), and finished 3rd last year.

Kurokawa Kojiro (黒川 宏次朗),  the younger of the Kurokawa siblings, finished runner-up in the Heavyweight Competition at last year's World Championships. He's currently a 4th year student at Takushoku University, and came 3rd at the All Japan Sumo Championships in 2015 (losing to his brother in the semi-final). He's also the Student Yokozuna in 2015.

Women's Lightweight

Okutomi Yuka (奥富 夕夏) is currently a 1st year at Nihon University. She won the Lightweight Competition at the 21st All Japan Women's Sumo Championships last year, and came 3rd at the 5th International Women's Sumo Sakai Tournament in April this year. She also won the Middle School Middleweight Competition at the 17th All Japan Women's Sumo Championships back in 2013.

Women's Middleweight

Ota Asano (太田 麻乃) came 3rd at the Adult Middleweight Competition at the 3rd Women's Sumo Himeji Tournament last month, as well as 3rd at the 5th International Women's Sumo Sakai Tournament in April this year. She currently works at the Numazu City Council in Shizuoka.

Mizunuma Hikaru (水沼 ひかる) won the Middleweight Competition at the 5th International Women's Sumo Sakai Tournament in April this year. She's currently a 3rd year student at Tsushima High School in Ehime Prefecture.

Women's Heavyweight

Ueta Yuka (上田 幸佳) graduated from Nihon University. She won the Open Weight Competition at the World Championships back in 2012.

• Like 5

There's evidence to suggest that Ota Asano (太田 麻乃) is indeed the same person as Matsuura Asano (松浦 麻乃), who graduated from Nihon University, and is the Women's World Champion last year. She also won the 4th International Women's Sumo Sakai Tournament last year.

Edited by mikawa

33 minutes ago, mikawa said:

From what I can find......

This is incredible-thank you for your help.

17 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Women Heavyweight (17):
RUS (3) - Olga DAVYDKO, Ekaterina GORDEENA, Anna POLIAKOVA

If Wikipedia is to be trusted, Anna Poliakova was previously known as Anna Zhigalova. And on that note, that Wiki article probably provides a better overview of the World Championship medal winners than the IFS site does.

9 hours ago, Johnofuji said:

Lightweight (Women)
-          Ms. YAMANAKA, Miku (JPN)

Heavyweight (Open)
-          Ms. KHISHIGDORJ, Sunjidmaa (MGL) 

Many thanks for the quota procedures! I notice these two competitors aren't part of the final participants list - I do know Yamanaka was originally announced by the Japanese committee. I'm guessing that means these federations were allowed to redistribute the spots because of the short notice even though they're technically personal athlete quotas? 

Removing the personal spots from the full lists, the differences to the 16 intended places appear to be these:

Men Lightweight: no differences
Men Middleweight: +1 South American (net +1)
Men Heavyweight: +2 Asian, +1 European, +1 South American, -2 Oceanic (net +2)
Women Lightweight: +1 Asian, +4 European, -2 African, -2 Oceanic (net +1)
Women Middleweight: +1 Asian, +1 European, +3 South American, -2 African, -2 Oceanic (net +1)
Women Heavyweight: +1 Asian, +5 European, -2 African, -1 North American, -2 Oceanic (net +1)

It's all a bit messy...

Yes. It's messier than the platform pizzas left behind by drunken salarymen at Shinjuku station. 

All athletes had to qualify for their divisions at national and "continental" level so they had to work within the quotas given but replacements were allowed. The extra spots for some countries came about when the quotas couldn't be filled or if someone had to pull out or declined. For example one of the kiwi girls buggered her knee in training and had to pull out so the IFS offered her spot to another country to get a better representation. Considering its meant to be the World Games it wouldn't be as fun if the big four would have too many athletes.

I had a judo champion who was also Oceania Sumo champion who would have been brilliant but she got proposed to and others got pregnant or are seeing the world.

As you and Mikawa have noticed there have been quite a few marriages in the amasumo world. I thought that Asano had married a sumotori but I could be mixing her up with another in her team who did.  

I'm sad that Miku can't make it. She is like a female Ura .   Anna Jiggleallover is a tough emotionless competitor with a lot of experience. It's 4 years old but here are the stats I did on her for the IFS https://www.facebook.com/pg/InternationalSumoCommunity/photos/?tab=album&album_id=341233402666131 

Ganzohnesushi - I agree. Julia is a legend and lots of fun to party with. You wouldn't know it to look at her but she is also kicking oshiri in MMA at world level - Julia MMA 

I'd like to thank you all for the tremendous help-I'm studying the material and have already singled out the people I think might go all the way, though i have no info on health issues. I'm trying to familiarize myself with some of them through videos. I hope I don't screw up big time..

BTW, since when do ama gyojis shout nokotta and say shobu-ari and all kinds of pro-sumo stuff? Has the tachiai now become similar to the pros where they sync breathing or is it still "one two three go" like it was a few years back? Some videos have it like this, others have it like that. Anything else rule wise I should know about? I can't figure out how they do the second round droppage dressage that word thing either. Losers from the second round against their family members or so.. I'll figure it out..

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

BTW, since when do ama gyojis shout nokotta and say shobu-ari and all kinds of pro-sumo stuff? Has the tachiai now become similar to the pros where they sync breathing or is it still "one two three go" like it was a few years back? Some videos have it like this, others have it like that. Anything else rule wise I should know about? I can't figure out how they do the second round droppage dressage that word thing either. Losers from the second round against their family members or so.. I'll figure it out..

I have no idea when it changed over (or even if it's been an official decision at all), but at last year's World Championship in Mongolia they were definitely doing the mutual start thing, not the gyoji start. (You've probably found it already, but just in case, there's a 9 hour recording from last year out there.)

Repechage works like this, assuming they haven't changed it from 2013:

- the knockout bracket proceeds through to the quarterfinals, so that the 4 semifinalists have been determined
- all people who lost to these semifinalists do stepladder playoffs to determine two people who will then face the losing semifinalists

Example:

Last 16
A def. B
C def. D
E def. F
G def. H
I def. J
K def. L
M def. N
O def. P

Quarters
A def. C
E def. G
I def. K
M def. O

Now we have the 4 semis people (A, E, I, M). 4 of the first-round losers are out of the competition now (D, H, L, P) because they lost to people who also didn't reach the semis. The other 4 first-round losers and the 4 QF losers go to repechage.

Repechage 1
C def. B [these are the two people who were beaten by A in the knockouts]
F def. G [were beaten by E]
K def. J [were beaten by I]
N def. O [were beaten by M]

Repechage 2
F def. C
K def. N

That's the end of the repechage for now because the field has been reduced to 2 people still standing.

Semis
A def. E
M def. I

A and M go to the gold medal bout. E and I have to defend their spots in the medal race against the two repechage winners, with the halfs of the draw flipped (to prevent repeat matchups)

Repechage 3
F vs I [Repechage winner top half vs losing semifinalist bottom half]
K vs E [Repechage winner bottom half vs losing semifinalist top half]

The losers of those bouts are eliminated, the winners fight for the bronze medal.

In the openweight the repechage brackets will be bigger, since the semifinalists will be eliminating more people along the way, so it'll be something like this:

Repechage 1: Losers Last 64 vs Losers Last 32 [4 matches]
Repechage 2: Winners Rep1 vs Losers Last 16 [4 matches]
Repechage 3: Winners Rep2 vs. Losers QF [4 matches]
Repechage 4: Winners Rep3 against each other [2 matches]

And then after the semifinals again

Repechage 5: Winners Rep4 vs Losers SF [2 matches]

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

I must confess that I never heard of the word "Repechage" before. It sounds French. It also seems complicated. Is this used to determine the Bronze medalist? I have a better plan. Have the 8 first round losers compete to determine one Bronze semifinalist and have the 4 Quarterfinal losers compete to determine the other. The two losing Semifinalists would join them in a four man tournament. That way everyone gets a second match and a chance for the Bronze medal. The Gold medalist would be 4-0. The Silver medalist would be 3-1. The Bronze medalist would 3-1 if he lost in the Semis, 4-1 if he lost in the Quarters or 5-1 if he lost in the 1st round. The 13 non-medalists would all have two losses.

You've just described a modified double-elimination tournament, except for one crucial part:

22 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

Have the 8 first round losers compete to determine one Bronze semifinalist and have the 4 Quarterfinal losers compete to determine the other.

Why should the quarterfinalists have to eliminate each other, rather than be allowed to go directly against the (by performance) worse players who lost in the previous round?

Really though, this thread is not exactly the right place for a fundamental debate about tournament formats. Repechage formats like the above are commonly used in almost all martial arts.

OK. Move this to Off Topic. The point that I was trying to make is that in the example above, four first round losers do not get a second match. That does not seem fair.

4 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Repechage works like this, assuming they haven't changed it from 2013:

-ETC..

Wow, that is Einstein's Theory of Reality TV (I heard someone really say that..). I am dizzy.. But it's now clearer- I couldn't figure out why some guys were randomly kicked out of continuing. Makes sense.

Athlete information (including birthdates and mugshots photographs) is now available on the competition database site. All categories are now down to just 16 athletes, women's lightweight even to 15, so I guess the quota issues have been resolved. I'll check for the differences later and note them in post #2 at the start of the thread.

Edited by Asashosakari

I've made the lineup corrections now, and added the ages. The adjustments in the men's competitions came entirely at the expense of the Brazilian nominations as expected, the changes for the women's groups were more diverse. As usual in amateur events, chances are that a couple more competitors will be missing from the tournament at short notice, so we won't know the final list until the draws are posted (which I assume will only be a day or two before Saturday's matches at most, if not on the day).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asashosakari said:

I've made the lineup corrections now, and added the ages. The adjustments in the men's competitions came entirely at the expense of the Brazilian nominations as expected, the changes for the women's groups were more diverse. As usual in amateur events, chances are that a couple more competitors will be missing from the tournament at short notice, so we won't know the final list until the draws are posted (which I assume will only be a day or two before Saturday's matches at most, if not on the day).

Thanks-this is very good..

And changes again...a 16th athlete has now been added to the women's lightweight category with Aleksandra Rozum (Poland), probably a late entry from the host country just to fill out the draw. And somewhat more strangely, men's middleweight is now back up to 17 participants courtesy of new addition Usukhbayar Ochirkhuu (Mongolia)...

The other sections have the same numbers as before, but I'll check later if any athlete changes have taken place there, too.

Edit: Checked; no further changes at this time.

Edited by Asashosakari

Some late scratches and no-shows: Both lightweights are down from 16 to 15 competitors, men's middleweight from 17 to 15. Changed above.

The draws are up:

Women's LW (15, PDF)
Women's MW (16, PDF)
Women's HW (16, PDF)

Men's LW (15, PDF)
Men's MW (15, PDF)
Men's HW (16, PDF)

Women's Open (47, PDF)
Men's Open (46, PDF)

Edited by Asashosakari