Sakura

Basho Talk - Nagoya 2017 (SPOILERS)

The top 4 rikishi are now Y1e Hakuho, Y1w Harumafuji, O1w Goeido and O2e Takayasu. They should do a round robin on Days 13, 14 and 15. Hakuho and Harumafuji should face S1e Tamawashi and S1w Mitakeumi on Days 11 and 12. That leaves 3 Maegashira for Days 8, 9 and 10. They should face M4e Ura, M4w Kagayaki and M5e Chiyoshoma.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who dislikes Takayasu’s kachiage? He’s been using it a lot.

57 minutes ago, Benevolance said:

I like Goeidou's odds of a kachikoshi this basho. 

He can still mess that up. Anything is possible with Goeido. ;-)

3 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

The top 4 rikishi are now Y1e Hakuho, Y1w Harumafuji, O1w Goeido and O2e Takayasu. They should do a round robin on Days 13, 14 and 15. Hakuho and Harumafuji should face S1e Tamawashi and S1w Mitakeumi on Days 11 and 12. That leaves 3 Maegashira for Days 8, 9 and 10. They should face M4e Ura, M4w Kagayaki and M5e Chiyoshoma.

I cannot wait to watch it. Fate beckons.

Very powerful sumo from Tamawashi. One of my favorite nuances of sumo since my recent introduction to this beautiful sport has been how different each rikishi's style matches up against one another. You have Goeido take care of Miatekumi with ease. The next day, Mitakeumi completely overpowers Tamawashi after a strong initial charge from Tamawashi. Only for the following day to show Goeido get completely blasted away by Tamawashi, which is very impressive given Goeido's raw strength. The only thing I wish Tamawashi did differently is when he occasionally plays games at the tachiai, in the delay of putting his hands down.

On another note, my wife when watching sumo, has started calling Tamawashi, "Tom Mawashi" as if he had an English name of 'Tom Belt'. We've now imagined that when Tamawashi retires, he will open a store Tom Mawashi's Mawashi Warehouse for all your Mawashi needs, including a Mawashing machine to clean your dirty Mawashi. 

• Like 5

Day 8: Y1e Hakuho v M4e Ura.

Edited by Bumpkin
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

Day 8: Y1e Hakuho v M4e Ura.

Thanks for this forecast.  Among Hakuho, Harumafuji, and Takayasu, I feel Hakuho has the best chance of winning against the scrappy, GrecoRoman sumotori.  The other two sekitori may find Ura too much to handle.

• Like 1

What's happened to Mitoryu?  He came in rather hyped, but he's the first MsTD guy in a while to not start with a KK, and now he's 1-2 after Day 6 at Ms23.

7 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

What's happened to Mitoryu?  He came in rather hyped, but he's the first MsTD guy in a while to not start with a KK, and now he's 1-2 after Day 6 at Ms23.

Maybe it has something to do with the stable that he is in?  

Wasn't their a post or posts talking about a back injury? Some kind of injury? 

4 hours ago, Benevolance said:

I like Goeidou's odds of a kachikoshi this basho. 

Even Kotoshogiku has a chance at maintaining his rank but that's a much smaller chance.

Ura's chance at kachikosh is very high now.  M1, here he comes.   Speaking of M1, Takakeisho has as good a chance to makekosh as Ura'd the opposite.  It's interesting to watch head to head bouts involving Ura, Ishiura, Onosho, and Takakeisho - the young, talented, and tiny.  Among the 4, Ishiura seems to be the weakest for now.   I'd love to watch how the 4 do in future basho.

Satoyama's chance at staying at Juryo seems to be going, going, and ....

So does Kotoyuki's chance at staying at Makuuchi.  Huh?  Huh!

Mitakeumi is finally a clear step ahead of Shodai, it seems.  But here's comes another college graduate phenom.  Hokutofuji is making a name for himself to be the next young Japanese rikishi to eventually challenge Ozekiship. 

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

I didn't think he'd do well in Makuuchi if he ever reaches there.   But, I expected him to make a straight charge to Makuuchi division with a series of 7-0 or 6-1 records.  Oh, well.

53 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Perhaps that hype was tur bold in the first place.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

I didn't think he'd do well in Makuuchi if he ever reaches there.   But, I expected him to make a straight charge to Makuuchi division with a series of 7-0 or 6-1 records.  Oh, well.

Yago could be making that charge since he's 4-0, still has a chance to go 7-0.

8 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Yago could be making that charge since he's 4-0, still has a chance to go 7-0.

Yes, he can but not Mitoryu at 1-2.  The best he can do is 5-2 if he can win out. 

17 hours ago, Washuyama said:

HMF is very good, but that is a bit of a stretch...

There are only 18 rikishi who have won more Yusho than Harumafuji.

or are we limiting it to the legendary dai-Yokozuna who have won more than 20 yusho?

• Like 2

3 monoiis and 2 torinaoshis in juryo today, the crowd definitely got some extra action in for their money.

Will they substitute Aoiyama in place of Ikioi, Takakeisho or Kagayaki in the joi matches next week?

3 hours ago, rhyen said:

There are only 18 rikishi who have won more Yusho than Harumafuji.

or are we limiting it to the legendary dai-Yokozuna who have won more than 20 yusho?

This is what I mean by Hakuho makes others look bad. Harumafuji is top 1% of the top 1%.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Ura, Ishiura, Onosho, and Takakeisho - the young, talented, and tiny. 

Takekaze is shorter than all of them

Kagayaki got a rare hold of the belt and good things happen, he gets Haramafuji tomorrow. Takayasu looking like a beast, great sumo. Ura gets Hakuho tomorrow...here we go ! 

I actually feel like Takayasu has a decent chance at winning out. He had some first day jitters but has been dominant ever since. Hakuho on the other hand has continued winning but mostly with semi-henkas or other shenanigans, that is going to catch up to him.

That look on Hakuho's face today says it all about his level of confidence so far. With his other rivals scraping by, he's proving himself as the GOAT so far, only 5 more wins until win number 1048.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, YoungSumo said:

I actually feel like Takayasu has a decent chance at winning out. He had some first day jitters but has been dominant ever since. Hakuho on the other hand has continued winning but mostly with semi-henkas or other shenanigans, that is going to catch up to him.

He hasn't had to work very hard so far compared to some of the others. I don't think he will zensho-yusho but he is in the box seat to win the basho