Sakura

Basho Talk - Nagoya 2017 (SPOILERS)

Recommended Posts

The top 4 rikishi are now Y1e Hakuho, Y1w Harumafuji, O1w Goeido and O2e Takayasu. They should do a round robin on Days 13, 14 and 15. Hakuho and Harumafuji should face S1e Tamawashi and S1w Mitakeumi on Days 11 and 12. That leaves 3 Maegashira for Days 8, 9 and 10. They should face M4e Ura, M4w Kagayaki and M5e Chiyoshoma.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one who dislikes Takayasu’s kachiage? He’s been using it a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Benevolance said:

I like Goeidou's odds of a kachikoshi this basho. 

He can still mess that up. Anything is possible with Goeido. ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

The top 4 rikishi are now Y1e Hakuho, Y1w Harumafuji, O1w Goeido and O2e Takayasu. They should do a round robin on Days 13, 14 and 15. Hakuho and Harumafuji should face S1e Tamawashi and S1w Mitakeumi on Days 11 and 12. That leaves 3 Maegashira for Days 8, 9 and 10. They should face M4e Ura, M4w Kagayaki and M5e Chiyoshoma.

I cannot wait to watch it. Fate beckons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very powerful sumo from Tamawashi. One of my favorite nuances of sumo since my recent introduction to this beautiful sport has been how different each rikishi's style matches up against one another. You have Goeido take care of Miatekumi with ease. The next day, Mitakeumi completely overpowers Tamawashi after a strong initial charge from Tamawashi. Only for the following day to show Goeido get completely blasted away by Tamawashi, which is very impressive given Goeido's raw strength. The only thing I wish Tamawashi did differently is when he occasionally plays games at the tachiai, in the delay of putting his hands down.

On another note, my wife when watching sumo, has started calling Tamawashi, "Tom Mawashi" as if he had an English name of 'Tom Belt'. We've now imagined that when Tamawashi retires, he will open a store Tom Mawashi's Mawashi Warehouse for all your Mawashi needs, including a Mawashing machine to clean your dirty Mawashi. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 8: Y1e Hakuho v M4e Ura.

Edited by Bumpkin
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

Day 8: Y1e Hakuho v M4e Ura.

Thanks for this forecast.  Among Hakuho, Harumafuji, and Takayasu, I feel Hakuho has the best chance of winning against the scrappy, GrecoRoman sumotori.  The other two sekitori may find Ura too much to handle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's happened to Mitoryu?  He came in rather hyped, but he's the first MsTD guy in a while to not start with a KK, and now he's 1-2 after Day 6 at Ms23.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

What's happened to Mitoryu?  He came in rather hyped, but he's the first MsTD guy in a while to not start with a KK, and now he's 1-2 after Day 6 at Ms23.

Maybe it has something to do with the stable that he is in?  

Wasn't their a post or posts talking about a back injury? Some kind of injury? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Benevolance said:

I like Goeidou's odds of a kachikoshi this basho. 

Even Kotoshogiku has a chance at maintaining his rank but that's a much smaller chance.

Ura's chance at kachikosh is very high now.  M1, here he comes.   Speaking of M1, Takakeisho has as good a chance to makekosh as Ura'd the opposite.  It's interesting to watch head to head bouts involving Ura, Ishiura, Onosho, and Takakeisho - the young, talented, and tiny.  Among the 4, Ishiura seems to be the weakest for now.   I'd love to watch how the 4 do in future basho.

Satoyama's chance at staying at Juryo seems to be going, going, and ....

So does Kotoyuki's chance at staying at Makuuchi.  Huh?  Huh!

Mitakeumi is finally a clear step ahead of Shodai, it seems.  But here's comes another college graduate phenom.  Hokutofuji is making a name for himself to be the next young Japanese rikishi to eventually challenge Ozekiship. 

 

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

What's happened to Mitoryu?  He came in rather hyped, but he's the first MsTD guy in a while to not start with a KK, and now he's 1-2 after Day 6 at Ms23.

I didn't think he'd do well in Makuuchi if he ever reaches there.   But, I expected him to make a straight charge to Makuuchi division with a series of 7-0 or 6-1 records.  Oh, well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

What's happened to Mitoryu?  He came in rather hyped, but he's the first MsTD guy in a while to not start with a KK, and now he's 1-2 after Day 6 at Ms23.

Perhaps that hype was tur bold in the first place.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

I didn't think he'd do well in Makuuchi if he ever reaches there.   But, I expected him to make a straight charge to Makuuchi division with a series of 7-0 or 6-1 records.  Oh, well.

Yago could be making that charge since he's 4-0, still has a chance to go 7-0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Yago could be making that charge since he's 4-0, still has a chance to go 7-0.

 

Yes, he can but not Mitoryu at 1-2.  The best he can do is 5-2 if he can win out. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Washuyama said:

HMF is very good, but that is a bit of a stretch...

There are only 18 rikishi who have won more Yusho than Harumafuji.

or are we limiting it to the legendary dai-Yokozuna who have won more than 20 yusho?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 monoiis and 2 torinaoshis in juryo today, the crowd definitely got some extra action in for their money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will they substitute Aoiyama in place of Ikioi, Takakeisho or Kagayaki in the joi matches next week?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rhyen said:

There are only 18 rikishi who have won more Yusho than Harumafuji.

or are we limiting it to the legendary dai-Yokozuna who have won more than 20 yusho?

This is what I mean by Hakuho makes others look bad. Harumafuji is top 1% of the top 1%.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Ura, Ishiura, Onosho, and Takakeisho - the young, talented, and tiny. 

 

Takekaze is shorter than all of them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kagayaki got a rare hold of the belt and good things happen, he gets Haramafuji tomorrow. Takayasu looking like a beast, great sumo. Ura gets Hakuho tomorrow...here we go ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually feel like Takayasu has a decent chance at winning out. He had some first day jitters but has been dominant ever since. Hakuho on the other hand has continued winning but mostly with semi-henkas or other shenanigans, that is going to catch up to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That look on Hakuho's face today says it all about his level of confidence so far. With his other rivals scraping by, he's proving himself as the GOAT so far, only 5 more wins until win number 1048.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, YoungSumo said:

I actually feel like Takayasu has a decent chance at winning out. He had some first day jitters but has been dominant ever since. Hakuho on the other hand has continued winning but mostly with semi-henkas or other shenanigans, that is going to catch up to him.

He hasn't had to work very hard so far compared to some of the others. I don't think he will zensho-yusho but he is in the box seat to win the basho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now