Sakura

Basho Talk - Nagoya 2017 (SPOILERS)

408 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Could have been Terunofuji, and might still be if he gets his joints together again.

I thought the same when he made ozeki (and Baruto before that).  He's still young but I think his knees will keep him "mortal." (for lack of a better term)

Chiyonokuni earned major respect from me, not because of his win (although that was awesome), but because of his clear concern for his opponent's well-being. Hope Kotoyuki is ok.

Apart from that, we had a few slap-happy matches today, always good for a chuckle. Was looking forward to Yoshikaze v. Tochinoshin, and while it wasn't what I expected, it was definitely entertaining. 

Rumors, rumors, rumors.

Someone close to Hakuho is saying that the yokozuna is considering trying to get Japanese citizenship, but when and how is not explained.

The rest of the article explains the requirements for becoming a toshiyori, which Hakuho meets all. Then it talks about how he would get the ichidai-toshiyori due to his accomplishments and become Hakuho oyakata. Ishiura, Yamaguchi, and Enho are considered his proteges. 

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1858362.html

Glad to see that Hakuho has reached the pinnacle and is poised to take the next step, could Takayasu have his name in the record books as win number 1048 for Hakuho?

Although Mitakeumi lost today to Harumafuji and is essentially out of the race, thanks to him the race was opened up, as Aoiyama continues to stay behind Hakuho at 10-2 today.

Looks like Takayasu isn't having the stellar basho he declared he would have. You can't have it all. And at this point he may not get the E1 spot if he ends up tied with Goeido.

Geek is still hanging on to that sanyaku spot, even if he were to MK at this point he's not having a terrible basho for a lower sanyaku person. There's no way he's hanging it up after this basho.

Yoshikaze and Tochinoshin was fun to watch, and now Yoshikaze is guaranteed to stay in sanyaku and could possibly slide up to sekiwake depending on how Tamawashi finishes.

Ura had Ichinojo but just couldn't finish the job. Hopefully he's not too hurt.

Juryo race is wide open now that there are three people at 9-3 and four people at 8-4. Plus Kaisei's coming back. Aminishiki at 7-5 and slowly climbing back up to Makuuchi.

I'm looking forward to Tamawashi vs Hokutofuji tomorrow. Both 6-6 and have never met before.

1 hour ago, Washuyama said:

I thought the same when he made ozeki (and Baruto before that).  He's still young but I think his knees will keep him "mortal." (for lack of a better term)

Baruto is the rikishi that finally taught me to have a wait and see attitude. I was pretty certain that he would become a Yokozuna. But then the knee injuries...

Tochinoshin should have given up the slap happy bit after 20 seconds or so and gone for the belt, IMO, and a shame Ura didn't finish that one when he had the chance. I think Ura is suffering a bit from the 4 straight yokozuna/ozeki matches. I guess I shouldn't be surprised at that. Still pulling for a kachikoshi, but he needs to win 2 of his last 3 now.

Tamawashi is fortunate to have hit the wrong side of the rice hulls when he did, as it looked like Hkuhou was taking no prisoners today. I still think he takes this one, but Takayasu and Harumafuji will always be tough competition. A shame he didn't have one of them today when he was truly cranked.

Mitakeumi, despite being handled by Harumafuji, is looking like the strongest of the young guns to me. He always looks so dour though. I'll try to cut the kid some slack. His sumo is so good, but he's such a sad sack. Maybe it's just me...

1 hour ago, WAKATAKE said:

Rumors, rumors, rumors.

Someone close to Hakuho is saying that the yokozuna is considering trying to get Japanese citizenship, but when and how is not explained.

The rest of the article explains the requirements for becoming a toshiyori, which Hakuho meets all. Then it talks about how he would get the ichidai-toshiyori due to his accomplishments and become Hakuho oyakata. Ishiura, Yamaguchi, and Enho are considered his proteges. 

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1858362.html

Anyway I don't think he has any plan to go back to Mongolia permanently. Also, he would not retire soon, his next goal is yusho 40 and makuuchi 1000 wins. But he may never reach yokozuna 1000 wins ...