Sakura

Basho Talk - Nagoya 2017 (SPOILERS)

15 hours ago, Katooshu said:

As long as Hokutofuji gets one too if he reaches 8 wins. Incidentally, to those knowledgeable of special prize selection, what are Aoiyama's chances looking like? If he ends up with, say, 11 wins, is the strong start probably enough to overcome the lack of notable opposition and lower than usual rank?

Also, I lol'd at this:

PWJicn.gif

Oh, he is not the first.

methink Amakaze started the Makuuchi trend in Aki 2016. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

It's concerning. The weather conditions are not good, I know it's Nagoya in summer but it feels like there's just that bit more. I'm not a clay expert but it doesn't seem great.

If it were Sunday it wouldn't matter but there is a long way to go. Plus if there is more breakage there could be injury. Even though it cracks that clay sets really hard, the big pieces could be trouble...

I'll need to look into the construction process during the inter-basho lull. Somebody had said "all is well" earlier in the basho talk thread, but without reinforcements, ceramic materials tend toward less than optimum crack propagation properties. I'd think if someone throws Gagamaru in the wrong place, the tournament could come to an unexpected stand still. ...or, if Hakuho throws anyone in the wrong spot.

2 hours ago, YoungSumo said:

Takayasu - Ura was probably my favorite bout from this basho so far. With Takayasu proving he belongs as an Ozeki and Ura showing he can handle himself quite well against even the absolute top, I'm looking forward to many more bouts to come between these two.

Takayasu's strategy was sound, but I think he got all he wanted of Ura for the moment.

The Ura-Takayasu bout was one of the most remarkable things I've ever seen in sumo.  That retreat for a run-up and then charge!  Ura really brings something unique to sumo and he's a superstar guaranteed.  Hope he didn't seriously injure his leg today and hope he can avoid injuries in the future.  His style of sumo obviously invites the possibility.

• Like 6

Tochinoshin v. Ichinojo was an epic bout and I quite enjoyed it. But, that said, the stand-out match today would have to be Takayasu v. Ura. Wow! That one had me on the edge of my seat. Such an exciting bout, all the props to both rikishi for their performance. I'll be watching that one a few times, I'm sure. I hope Ura's limp is something he can walk off, as it would suck to come all this way only to be forced to go kyujo. 

4 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

The Ura-Takayasu bout was one of the most remarkable things I've ever seen in sumo.  That retreat for a run-up and then charge!  Ura really brings something unique to sumo and he's a superstar guaranteed.  Hope he didn't seriously injure his leg today and hope he can avoid injuries in the future.  His style of sumo obviously invites the possibility.

His hands are already toast.  He has no gripping power.

16 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

The Ura-Takayasu bout was one of the most remarkable things I've ever seen in sumo.  That retreat for a run-up and then charge!

I am tempted to say Ura's continual charges show he didn't really have a plan, but I did see at least twice when he attempted to grab Takayasu at the knee. The charges themselves reminded me of a hypothetical practice session, where Takayasu would be playing deadweight for Ura, who would then attempt to push him backward across the dohyo. Ura's retreat, then stand there with his arms up, waiting before going back in strongly reminded me of fighting sports other than sumo. (wrestling? boxing? MMA?). I loved it at the end when it appeared Takayasu grabbed Ura by both ears before throwing him down (about 10:38 (replay) on the Day 10 video and 2 following clips).

Edited by Fukurou

4 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Mitakeumi doing the best out of the sanyaku, but everybody else still has a chance at KK, meaning there could be no sanyaku promotions next basho.

For Kotoshogiku to KK, he will need to win 4 of his next 5 bouts.  Somehow I doubt he is up to the challenge.  The question is whether someone like Tochinoshin can finish with a good enough record to move into the Komusubi slot...  We could well see Kotoshogiku dropping down into the Maegashira ranks next tournament.  

I take back everything I've ever said about Ura lacking fighting spirit! Takayasu showed why he's an ozeki, but I've come to think of kubinage as being a bit of a desperate move and I expect Takayasu's thinking he had a close shave today. I hope Ura's injury is not serious enough to prevent him getting a well-deserved KK and hopefully a sansho. He's gone well beyond my expectations this basho. Goeido tomorrow!

I'm rooting for Hokutofuji to get a KK + sansho too. Hopefully the shukun-sho with 2 O and a Y to his tally.

Onosho is stacking them up too. Probably not a sansho this time, but almost certainly another jump up the banzuke. Could there be another baby face opposite the Y/O at Aki?

Damage limitation time for Takakeisho - a 6-9 would be respectable.

No sign of weakness from Mitakeumi today against the guy who's going to be a long-term rival. Maybe he just fancied a day off yesterday... Hakuho tomorrow, but double digits are still within reach.

As a yotsu-zumo fan you might expect me to rave about the Tochinoshin-Ichinojo bout, but I'm not. It was ok for what it was, but those two are just so.. unimaginative. I was shouting "Throw him!" at the monitor at least 90 seconds before Tochinoshin finally did! I probably shouldn't expect too much from hiramaku, but it wasn't a patch on the dynamic belt battle between Hakuho and Harumafuji at the end of the last basho.

• Like 1

K1w Kotoshogiku (4-6) has now faced all 10 men ranked above him. He will face only Maegashira from here on out. He has M1w Takakeisho (2-8) on Day 11. Presumably, he will face both M2e Tochinoshin (6-4) and M2w Hokutofuji (5-5). The West Komusubi slot should be on the line.

Edited by Bumpkin
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

K1w Kotoshogiku (4-6) has now faced all 10 men ranked above him. He will face only Maegashira from here on out. He has M1w Takakeisho (2-8) on Day 11. Presumably, he will face both M2e Tochinoshin (6-4) and M2w Hokutofuji (5-5). The West Komusubi slot should be on the line.

I think Kotoshogiku will retire the day he gets his eighth loss - not much point for him to drop down into the maegashira ranks.

Edited by kumoryu

28 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

Way to soon San-sho speculation:

Shukun-sho: K1e Yoshikaze (6-4)

Kanto-sho: M4e Ura (6-4)

Gino-sho: S1w Mitakeumi (7-3)

What about Ura taking all three? ;-)

40 minutes ago, kumoryu said:

I think Kotoshogiku will retire the day he gets his eighth loss - not much point for him to drop down into the maegashira ranks.

...other than a juicy regular paycheck, of course.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Thundersnow said:

I'll need to look into the construction process during the inter-basho lull. Somebody had said "all is well" earlier in the basho talk thread, but without reinforcements, ceramic materials tend toward less than optimum crack propagation properties. I'd think if someone throws Gagamaru in the wrong place, the tournament could come to an unexpected stand still. ...or, if Hakuho throws anyone in the wrong spot.

Have a look here:

Thanks to @Kintamayama for beeing so quick with the video. I couldn't wait and watched it in my lunch break.

I can't believe Ura tried the same trick with Takayasu as with Tochinoshin and he almost was successful. Him sliding backwards to charge Takayasu (and get deflected) was one of the more spectacular moments of sumo. Te way he swung his arms and initiated the charge looked like an old cartoon coming to life. Give that man at least 1 sansho! And i really want to be a fly on the wall when the Y/Os talk about him.

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kumoryu said:

Kotoshogiku has a good chance for a kachi-koshi. No matter what his record is this basho or next, I believe he will stay active through Kyushu.

That was pretty nice of Goeidou to do Kotoshogiku a real solid there, and pretty clever to stage it when Goeidou's kachikoshi is far from guaranteed. Makes it look all up and up, like Goeidou wasn't intending to let Kotoshogiku win. Nudge nudge, wink wink.

In my couple of years away from the sport, did they change the kyujo rules for Ozeki again?  Holy cow, it looks like a basho from the 1990s. 

13 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Surprised that Aoiyama's not flopping around, another couple of wins should get him one of the top two ranks as an opponent.

Aoiyama is fighting 15W Nishikigi today.  On paper, he should win.  What is on my mind now is exactly when will the "bout fixer dude" (Japanese term??) match him against a joi opponent, and just how high up will that opponent be?  It might happen on Day 12 if Aoiyama wins today.  The only other options would be Days 13 or 14.

In the 2012 Summer Basho, 7W-ranked Kyokutenho lost three of his first five bouts before going on a winning streak.  Then, only on Day 14, did he have to fight Ozeki Kotooshu.  After he won that bout, the was matched against Sekiwake Goeido.  

In the current basho, 8E-ranked Aoiyama has only lost once so far.  Again, if he wins today, he may just be forced to fight stiffer competition before Day 14 (c.f. Kyokutenho).  In my mind, the ideal match-up would be Aoiyama versus Ura on Day 13, allowing for joi match-ups on Days 14 and/or 15...

Aoiyama gets faced with Takarafuji on Day 12, which makes  sense given that Takarafuji has an 8-2 record at time of torikumi release and Takarafuji needs people much higher up to fight as well. Aoiyama could face Ura or Tochiozan on 13. Or they could give him the Komusubi or Sekiwake at that point, since they have open slots.

On 17.7.2017 at 12:20, Senkoho said:

How exciting, we might have Kizenryu back in juryo next basho. I wonder what's going to happen (Hitthewall...)

You asked for it, you got it. ;-)

• Like 1

Just now, Asashosakari said:

You asked for it, you got it. ;-)

(Holidayfeeling...)

And Satoyama and Tobizaru should now be confirmed as demotees.

EDIT: To make room for Kizenryu, of course.

Edited by Sakura