Sakura

Basho Talk - Nagoya 2017 (SPOILERS)

4 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

One of the stranger-looking utchari wins ever:

And a very nice suspenseful bout even earlier in jonokuchi.

(BTW, anybody happen to hear why the shimpan did that session short-staffed?)

More "brave foot" than utchari.

3 hours ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

Man the dohyo looks in real rough shape.

According to the English commentators on NHK, cracks occur because of the way the clay reacts to Nagoya's hot, humid July climate. As bad as it may look, it's structurally sound and that's all that really matters. 

Maybe they could move the July basho to Sapporo?  Nagoya and Osaka are so close together, why do they each need one?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Maybe they could move the July basho to Sapporo?  Nagoya and Osaka are so close together, why do they each need one?

Part of the deal, that allowed the combination of the old Osaka & Tokyo sumo groups into the modern national one, was that half of all Basho's be held in the Osaka territories. So three are held in western Japan and three in eastern. 

Ura, full of surprises. That seemed pretty well planned out on Ura's part, now HMF is going to have to focus on getting a double digit basho now.

Ura's kachikosh is looking really good with today's win.  He improves to 6-3.   Tomorrow, he goes against Takayasu who will not give Ura an inch.  

Mitakeumi henka'd his way to a quick win.   I have not seen him use henka before.   That came to me as a surprise and I wonder if he's at full strength after a fall he suffered by the hands of Takakeisho.   Speaking of Takakeisho, he's getting a rude welcome as an M1.   He will be sure to makekosh.   The question is how low he will go in the next basho.   

Ura beats a Yokozuna, Kinboshi.

He beat a Yokozuna at M4e, when he shouldn't even be facing them. If Ura goes 8 wins I think a fighting spirit prize would be in order, no?

• Like 2

How exciting, we might have Kizenryu back in juryo next basho. I wonder what's going to happen (Hitthewall...)

Ura is such a wonderful Rikishi. Been a fan of him since his awesome stint at amateur sumo, and having seen him rise through the ranks is just amazing feeling. I don't think anyone, not even Ura himself would have bet on him winning against a Yokozuna and earning a Kinboshi in less than 3 years since his pro-debut.

I am a huge fan of Ura and didn't think he could win against any of the Yokozuna this year if he could even get to face them. And here we go again, Ura completely destroying all the limits and expectations. Because he is Ura and that is what he does.

''He will never make it to Juryo''

''He will never KK in Juryo...''

''He will not reach Makuuchi...''

''He will absolutely get destroyed in Makuuchi...''

''He will never make it to upper ranks, a low maegashira at best...''

''He will never make it to Joi..''

''Too small, will not beat a Yokozuna...''

What is next? He will never become Komusubi or Sekiwake?

Edited by Jyuunomori
  • Like 7

i really hate everything ura does in ozumo

the non-tachiai

the diving

the arm-pulling

the backpaddling

i was hoping since makushita the real sumotori get a key to stop this clown him from winning......and unfortunatelly i am still waiting

9 minutes ago, Jyuunomori said:

Ura is such a wonderful Rikishi. Been a fan of him since his awesome stint at amateur sumo, and having seen him rise through the ranks is just amazing feeling. I don't think anyone, not even Ura himself would have bet on him winning against a Yokozuna and earning a Kinboshi in less than 3 years since his pro-debut.

I am a huge fan of Ura and didn't think he could win against any of the Yokozuna this year if he could even get to face them. And here we go again, Ura completely destroying all the limits and expectations. Because he is Ura and that is what he does.

''He will never make it to Juryo''

''He will never KK in Juryo...''

''He will not reach Makuuchi...''

''He will absolutely get destroyed in Makuuchi...''

''He will never make it to upper ranks, a low maegashira at best...''

''He will never make it to Joi..''

''Too small, will not beat a Yokozuna...''

What is next? He will never become Komusubi or Sekiwake?

1 minute ago, Gernobono said:

i really hate everything ura does in ozumo

the non-tachiai

the diving

the arm-pulling

the backpaddling

i was hoping since makushita the real sumotori get a key to stop this clown him from winning......and unfortunatelly i am still waiting

Don't you just love reading the Sumo Forum?

For every rikishi that someone loves, there is someone that hates that rikishi.

For every style of sumo that someone loves, there is someone that hates that style of sumo.

A microcosm of the world as we know and love (or hate) it.

• Like 9

Just now, Naganoyama said:

Don't you just love reading the Sumo Forum?

For every rikishi that someone loves, there is someone that hates that rikishi.

For every style of sumo that someone loves, there is someone that hates that style of sumo.

A microcosm of the world as we know and love (or hate) it.

Yes, yes I do. Ura hasn't really done that much submarine attacks he did in the previous basho. With Endo, Tochinoshin and more he has gone forwards. Not sure what basho Gernobono is watching. The more diverse the competition the better it is.

If all we had were stale rikishi it would be boring. Imagine Yoshikaze who only would do pushing? Instead of thrusting, pushing, pulling and belt stuff? Yoshikaze is so entertaining because he can do all the things.

My new favourite rikishi is Hokotofuji, just because of the huge and respectful bow he gives his opponent after he loses to them.

• Like 7

Ura took Harumafuji's full on tachiai. What? Our boy gets no respect for that? And, then, he goes for a clearly preplanned attack on the right arm (seemed preplanned although he imfers it wasn't), pulling hard, and low and behold it works. That was Ura at his best, with a surprise move from nowhere. I'm with Jyuunomori, of course, if he goes KK and there's no prize, it would be somewhat disappointing. I rather thought he'd earned one last basho, but I'm also a big Ura fan.

He's probably going to get creamed by Takayasu tomorrow, particularly with the new ozeki coming off a surprise loss himself.

• Like 3

Ura out quicked Haramafuji...wow. Nicely done. Kagayaki has a lot to learn (so do I). Takekeisho is just getting his ass beaten up real good. 

Here's a video with Ura's interview attached at the end:

He says his body just moved by itself and totally could not believe it when he won. He says he's just glad he was able to bring out his strength.

• Like 1

I tried to query which was the fastest kinboshi from debut, but got horribly tangled up in multiple shikona identities issues.

13 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

I tried to query which was the fastest kinboshi from debut, but got horribly tangled up in multiple shikona identities issues.

I've always wished there was some kind of read-only access to writing a pure-SQL query against the sumodb records.  I have questions like that that I could answer in 5 minutes of SQL-writing that pop in my head all the time.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

According to this new article by Nikkan Hokutofuji and Ura are tied for first place among Japanese rikishi at 15 basho but there's someone else ahead of them, which they don't care to point out.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1857350.html

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

According to this new article by Nikkan Hokutofuji and Ura are tied for first place among Japanese rikishi at 15 basho but there's someone else ahead of them, which they don't care to point out.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1857350.html

Debut from maezumo: Konishiki

Debut from MsTD: Ichinojo

Edited by Faustonowaka
  • Like 1