Sakura

Basho Talk - Nagoya 2017 (SPOILERS)

Sakura    156
Posted (edited)

I guess we need one of  these.

Can anyone get Makushita streaming on weekend days?

Edited by Sakura

Gurowake    1,322

So, uh...I guess...  Enho won his first match!

Sakura    156
9 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

So, uh...I guess...  Enho won his first match!

Replied before I had a chance to edit..

Gurowake    1,322

Good thing I didn't quote you then!

WAKATAKE    678

Good start for Aminishiki! Nice to see him not go henka every once in a while.

WAKATAKE    678

Ouch. Kagayaki was not in sync again for Kise's dohyo-iri. 

Sakura    156

I'd like to point out that Sakura, Sakurafuji and  Sakurayama all won today. (Signofapproval...)

• Like 4

fwuzzle23    12

One of these days I'm going to not forget when the basho starts...came in right after Ura-Endo.

And oh boy Takayasu and Goeido already dropping matches against maegashira, that probably doesn't bode well.

WAKATAKE    678

All three ozeki drop the first day. When was the last time that all ozeki lost on the first day? Wow.

Benihana    332

This is an outrage! A 2-7 start for the Y/O...oooh this basho is gonna be fun...again!

Is there a japanese phrase for "WTF?"

• Like 1

Off to a wild start. Good for the young bucks. Other then Kagayaki they all won today. And go Yoshikaze and Aminishiki !

d_golem    166

Came home right on time for Tamawashi v Ikioi. Were the previous bouts as exciting as the ones I did watch??? Can't wait for Kinta's vid!

Asashosakari    8,122

Don't want to upstage Kinta's ability to edit the video thread as he requires it, so I'll post it here for the moment: Available Day 1 videos are linked in the DB now.

• Like 4

Kishinoyama    220

What a first day! The next 14 days are going to be interesting....

WAKATAKE    678

Yoshikaze continues to be a bane for Harumafuji, they're now 9-9 against each other. 

Takekaze competed in his 1183rd makuuchi match today, tying Tosanoumi for 9th on the all time list. As of today they both stand tied at #1 for the collegiate wrestler record. That however should change tomorrow. Also he is competing in his 82nd makuuchi basho, tying Miyabiyama for 10th place on the list. This is also a tie at #1 for collegiate wrestlers.

And the younger generation really continues to impress. I have no doubt that there some future yokozuna and ozeki in this ragtag bunch. Really excited to see how they're going to do in the future.

• Like 1

Kaiomitsuki    87
4 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

When was the last time that all ozeki lost on the first day? Wow.

Not sure since... but Day 1 Natsu 1997 : Ozeki Takanonami and Ozeki Musashimaru (Ozeki Wakanohana was Kyujo) lose on Day 1

• Like 1

RabidJohn    221

Oh wow, what a day!

Kintamayama    16,878
3 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Don't want to upstage Kinta's ability to edit the video thread as he requires it, so I'll post it here for the moment: Available Day 1 videos are linked in the DB now.

I'm always hoping someone will "upstage" me finally and take over. It's becoming really annoying to do this.

RaeucherLax    60
18 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I'm always hoping someone will "upstage" me finally and take over. It's becoming really annoying to do this.

If the NHK would show all the Makuuchi bouts  that would be great but they would still not be the same without the puns/ snarky remarks. 

Sherming was running super smooth for me here today but on other occasions (I can only watch it live on weekends as I am at work from 9 to 11am ;-) ) it has been stop and go as well....

• Like 1

Asashosakari    8,122
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kaiomitsuki said:

Not sure since... but Day 1 Natsu 1997 : Ozeki Takanonami and Ozeki Musashimaru (Ozeki Wakanohana was Kyujo) lose on Day 1

That was indeed the most recent one before today. The last time it happened with 3 active ozeki was in Aki 1978.

Source (best viewed side by side): basho with zero Day 1 ozeki wins - active ozeki on those basho days

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

pmac    14

what a great day of sumo!

will be the next exciting basho, only the winner is pretty clear for me.......... hakuho!

and kotoyukis jurio train is in full motion!

Dapeng    57

They said it is the first time in 17 years for three ozeki and 2 yokozuna to lose on day-1.

mikawa    396

A very nice day for the up-and-comers, though one thing still puzzles me. Takakeisho's style seems to always have been to stay off the belt and use oshi-attacks at opportune moments. Is that difficult to counter, considering that he's already this high up?

• Like 1