Fay

Yamamotoyama makes a big splash

250 kilos Ex-Yamamotoyama donned a mawashi today for the first time since he was banished from sumo at his old Onoe beya and even had one butsugari bout against Baruto. "It's been a while.. He's heavy.." said Baruto. "When I'm doing TV stuff in the USA I'm sometimes asked to do some shiko, which I don't since I don't see the need. I felt the need to move my body a bit today, but my Ozeki opponent was scary, " remarked XYMY.

WTF? He's being paid to appear on TV, but he doesn't feel the need to take any direction? It's not like he has a tiny fraction of the talents Konishiki does, so with any luck people will get tired of paying to see the circus sideshow and he will disappear from our radar.

250 kilos Ex-Yamamotoyama donned a mawashi today for the first time since he was banished from sumo at his old Onoe beya and even had one butsugari bout against Baruto. "It's been a while.. He's heavy.." said Baruto. "When I'm doing TV stuff in the USA I'm sometimes asked to do some shiko, which I don't since I don't see the need. I felt the need to move my body a bit today, but my Ozeki opponent was scary, " remarked XYMY.

WTF? He's being paid to appear on TV, but he doesn't feel the need to take any direction? It's not like he has a tiny fraction of the talents Konishiki does, so with any luck people will get tired of paying to see the circus sideshow and he will disappear from our radar.

I think he meant it had nothing to do with the storyline, much like a female actress being asked to disrobe in, say, a dentist commercial..

I think he meant it had nothing to do with the storyline, much like a female actress being asked to disrobe in, say, a dentist commercial..

Oh, demonstrating shiko on TV is the equivalent of an attractive female being asked to get naked on screen? A brief demonstration of sumo training, which is what ostensibly he is supposed to be expert in, and the audience interested in, is too much? Does he believe he's of such star quality he doesn't have to work with the director at all? What exactly does he think he's being paid to do? Just show up and be a considered a freak show? The cornerstone of Japanese television guest appearances is showing up, being personable, and amicably doing requests as much as is possible. Watch Hugh Jackman or Lady Gaga when they do guest slots here. Very good at playing the game on the Japanese home turf. The there are others who have no sense of humor or no sense of the curiosity their hosts have - and proceed to be stubborn. Makes for some bad TV.

Oh, demonstrating shiko on TV is the equivalent of an attractive female being asked to get naked on screen? A brief demonstration of sumo training, which is what ostensibly he is supposed to be expert in, and the audience interested in, is too much? Does he believe he's of such star quality he doesn't have to work with the director at all? What exactly does he think he's being paid to do? Just show up and be a considered a freak show? The cornerstone of Japanese television guest appearances is showing up, being personable, and amicably doing requests as much as is possible. Watch Hugh Jackman or Lady Gaga when they do guest slots here. Very good at playing the game on the Japanese home turf. The there are others who have no sense of humor or no sense of the curiosity their hosts have - and proceed to be stubborn. Makes for some bad TV.

No, no no.. Commercials that needed a "sumo figure"- not an instructional show about Sumo or anything like that. You know what I mean.. It is usually a freak show thing,but I'm just guessing here. Usually, these "spots" they get in the West are for grotesque commercials featuring the usual stereotype "scary" sumo stomping about. I get a lot of requests to find a "sumo" from ad agencies all over the world for these purposes exactly.

That being said, I can tell you first hand of a similar case. When Sadogatake came here, I took Kotomitsuki, Kotomisen and Kotoyutaka to a TV studio for an interview with Israel's Jay Leno back then. Kotomitsuki specifically asked me to see to it that it won't be a "freak show " interview where the "fat guys in diapers" will be dissed and made fun of, which happens a lot in the west. They were asked to "stomp", but I refused and offered something else- matawari. The guy (and the entire audience)who started off making fun of them sat in awe watching them, and from there on the whole interview changed gears and was one of respect.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

No, no no.. Commercials that needed a "sumo figure"- not an instructional show about Sumo or anything like that. You know what I mean.. It is usually a freak show thing,but I'm just guessing here. Usually, these "spots" they get in the West are for grotesque commercials featuring the usual stereotype "scary" sumo stomping about. I get a lot of requests to find a "sumo" from ad agencies all over the world for these purposes exactly.

That being said, I can tell you first hand of a similar case. When Sadogatake came here, I took Kotomitsuki, Kotomisen and Kotoyutaka to a TV studio for an interview with Israel's Jay Leno back then. Kotomitsuki specifically asked me to see to it that it won't be a "freak show " interview where the "fat guys in diapers" will be dissed and made fun of, which happens a lot in the west. They were asked to "stomp", but I refused and offered something else- matawari. The guy (and the entire audience)who started off making fun of them sat in awe watching them, and from there on the whole interview changed gears and was one of respect.

Nothing wrong with stomping per se. It is one of the fundamentals of sumo training, and something that can be demonstrated without any special equipment or facilities. Teppo, butsukari, suri ashi, and other types of training would be far more difficult to demonstrate in a studio. One slow, controlled, shiko of the sort Katayama was famous for would be a crowd pleaser and also a demonstration of some serious athletic ability. Matawari was a good idea, but not the only thing that could impress people and demonstrate the better side of sumo. I suspect that YMY has poor fundamentals, which will have only gotten worse, and any demo of sumo techniques will open him to the very sort of mocking you describe.

I'm sharing Otoko-san's bewilderment... Okay, I can see not doing that generic shiko stomping during an interview (though I don't share the impression that it's easily mocked just because it's stereotypical) because interviews mostly trade intangibles for intangibles - the show gets to present an interesting guest, and the guest gets to present him/herself in a favourable light. Doesn't apply to commercials or other pure for-pay appearances; of course it's completely within his rights to refuse stuff he doesn't want to do, but it doesn't look like a particularly smart career move to me.

In any case, it's not like YMY can substitute with matawari demonstrations these days, I suspect...

I'm sharing Otoko-san's bewilderment... Okay, I can see not doing that generic shiko stomping during an interview (though I don't share the impression that it's easily mocked just because it's stereotypical) because interviews mostly trade intangibles for intangibles - the show gets to present an interesting guest, and the guest gets to present him/herself in a favourable light. Doesn't apply to commercials or other pure for-pay appearances; of course it's completely within his rights to refuse stuff he doesn't want to do, but it doesn't look like a particularly smart career move to me.

In any case, it's not like YMY can substitute with matawari demonstrations these days, I suspect...

That's just it - the pretty aspiring actress being asked by directors to take off her clothes because she may not have many other talents to offer in show business (at least when starting out) rings a little too true when being compared to YMY being asked to do shiko. Just what else is it he has to offer as an aspiring actor? (Blinking...)

There may be a simple explanation for why he refuses to do shiko now and it is nothing to do with being a prima donna.

He probably just can't do it any more. It was hard enough for him at such a size when he was in full training. Now it's likely to be close to impossible.

I suspect that YMY has poor fundamentals, which will have only gotten worse, and any demo of sumo techniques will open him to the very sort of mocking you describe.
There may be a simple explanation for why he refuses to do shiko now and it is nothing to do with being a prima donna.

He probably just can't do it any more. It was hard enough for him at such a size when he was in full training. Now it's likely to be close to impossible.

Yes, precisely my point.

I suspect that YMY has poor fundamentals, which will have only gotten worse, and any demo of sumo techniques will open him to the very sort of mocking you describe.

Yes, precisely my point.

Yes, I now think that is the case. "I don't see the need" can be translated better as "I don't want to do anything unreasonable" as is used when an Oyakata apologizes for his rikishi who is a bit injured and isn't training seriously. The "muri" word.

Edited by Kintamayama

That's just it - the pretty aspiring actress being asked by directors to take off her clothes because she may not have many other talents to offer in show business (at least when starting out) rings a little too true when being compared to YMY being asked to do shiko. Just what else is it he has to offer as an aspiring actor? (Blinking...)

I was thinking more along the lines of an established actress who is asked to take off her clothes but refuses because "it is not inherent to the plot" (read: let's show this famous actress' tits regardless of the plot and bring in the fans).

That's interesting... Maybe it's the translation, but I'm reading something entirely different in this quote.

YMY may be asked to demonstrate some shiko, but he doesn't actually say that he refuses to do it, according to the quote above. My reading of this suggests that he doesn't normally do shiko on a regular basis, simply because he doesn't need to anymore, not that he can't. Here, I think, he's simply saying he doesn't do it as a matter of course, not that he refuses to oblige someone's request.

Yamamotoyama was in Houston, Texas last month to take part in a sumo exhibition event. With him was former Juryo Wakatenro, former world champion Byambajav Ulambayar and someone called Takuji Noro, but I don't know who he is.

“It’s very nice, it’s very warm, and the food is delicious,” said Wakatenro.

“We have no idea what to expect [in Texas], all we know is that there are horses there,” said Yamamotoyama en route.

628x471.jpg

628x471.jpg

Wakatenro vs. Takuji Noro:

628x471.jpg

Byamba's back:

628x471.jpg

YMY chucks Noro:

628x471.jpg

20120307_rodeosumo_jan_09.jpg

More pictures from the Houston event.

Blending in with cowboy hats and boots.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 1

these guys are a disgrace.

Edited by Randomitsuki
Irresistible urge to moderate

... said the wanna-be radio personality with absolutely NO on-air knowledge or ability...

Disgrace? I give these guys full credit for doing what they're doing, for bringing sumo to parts unknown, for attempting to help popularize a sport that we enjoy, and for trying to get on with their lives in a way that has benefits, both to them and to sumo.

If it weren't for stupidity, YMY might still be in the NSK somewhere. Doesn't mean he can't represent sumo and at least he's doing it right, and not embarrassing himself as Chad Rowan has done. Now, that's disgraceful.

And these aren't pushovers up there. YMY and Byamba are still two guys with skills. Clearly, they seem to make an impression and an impact wherever they go. Rowan's a disgrace. YMY in particular is to be commended, if anything, for "getting back on the horse" and doing his best, not only for himself but for the popularity of sumo.

As for someone who spends a tremendous amount of energy promoting himself and his eagerly sought-after popularity (in ANY form). and then - when push comes to shove - displays absolutely no knowledge or talent to back up the hype, you talk the talk real purty, as they say in Texas. I still ain't seen you walk the walk.

• Like 2

Disgrace? I give these guys full credit for doing what they're doing

If it weren't for stupidity, YMY might still be in the NSK somewhere. Doesn't mean he can't represent sumo and at least he's doing it right, and not embarrassing himself as Chad Rowan has done. Now, that's disgraceful.

apples and oranges Lex. Violins and guitars. :-D

Oh, I wish you would have the balls to tell YMY face to face...

Martina, only those who need to be told twice would make the mistake that physical attributes and honesty / 'bravery' are linked.

Martina, only those who need to be told twice would make the mistake that physical attributes and honesty / 'bravery' are linked.

If you would read my post twice you could figure out perhaps that I didn't say anything like this.

Would a moderator kindly pare down (or remove, if you prefer) the needlessly massive quote in post #41, please? Seems pointless to have my entire post with all the pictures repeated.

Meanwhile, here are a few bigger pictures from the Houston event:

418138_935696359905_7406563_39901436_1688358112_n.jpg

427166_935696764095_7406563_39901444_113815185_n.jpg

426043_935696863895_7406563_39901447_127913197_n.jpg

419091_935696968685_7406563_39901450_1549957750_n.jpg

Edited by Yubinhaad

'Yama' promoting a Mall Of America Exhibition that was held on May 30, 2015. Interesting action at the end.... :-O

• Like 5

Yamamotoyama lives in LA and Andrew Freund, in the video, basically acts as his manager getting him media gigs all over the country. If you've seen a sumo wrestler on American TV in the last year or so, chances are it's either Yama, Byambajav Ulambayar, or both of them. Here's both on a recent episode of The Bachelorette:

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-bachelorette/episode-guide/season-11/04-week-3-sumo-wrestling-sex-education-and-clint-jjs-bromance

• Like 2