Kintamayama

Preparations of the Y/O-Nagoya 2017

23 minutes ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

I'm pretty sure the end game of Japanese newspaper reporting is going to be just listing random names and ages, then some results/happenings for nobody in particular, then finally a few quotes attributed to nobody. Which you'll only be able to piece together if you were actually there. 

I've been told by a 3rd party that Kisenosato lost 6, then won 5 straight, then lost 1, then won 6 straight. The 3rd party also said 'Don't shoot Kintamayama!' which i can agree with depending on the capitalization of the letter K

Does win or loss matter that much in training? Especially when training with a stablemate?

Winning a training bout might be more important to the younger deshi but I always thought that at your own heya the primary purpose of training was to perfect one's defensive and offensive techniques and extending one's abilities, and not to take unnecessary risks.

At degeiko things are different of course, with the need to mask one's weaknesses.

6 hours ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

I've been told by a 3rd party that Kisenosato lost 6, then won 5 straight, then lost 1, then won 6 straight.

That makes perfect sense and adds up mathematically. I shall now go to my daily Mossad debriefing.

• Like 5

We haven't heard much from Kakuryuu lately.  He went for degeiko to Tokitsukaze beya today where he fell into a bad crowd and was arrested for racketeering. Not really. He faced Yutakayama for 15 bouts and won them all, but is feeling uneasiness in his back. According to him, after arriving in Nagoya his back started hurting and that is the main reason he has only gone for degeiko twice so far and is very late in his preparations, coming off last basho's kyujo. "It's not a hernia, it's a strained back. I felt the need to get well in a hurry but then I  thought to myself that I should calm down and slowly let it heal and train accordingly," he said, I guess. Asked after the training session how he felt, he answered that he thinks he feels OK. Regarding his injured ankle he said he is able to put pressure on it, so that's good.

Q: Will it heal?

A: It's the ankle, not the heel.

Q: Yes, but will it heal?

A: It's the ankle!! Should I say it backwards?

And so on. It definitely does not sound better in Italian.

With our good friend "I'll be back real soon" Makushita 28 (Yup, that low..) Toyonoshima, aiming to get back to the Majors but age and injuries seem to be catching up on him. Somewhat like myself.

鶴竜、出稽古で15戦全勝も腰に不安「ぎっくり腰」
Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 10

Yokozuna Hakuhou went for decake-o to Tokitsukaze beya as well, singling out Shoudai for 15 bouts, losing one. Looking good. Good throws, sharp in-step, pushing Shoudai's face backwards at the tachiai -it was all there. "The change of atmosphere for me made for some good keiko. I tried everything.  Getting close up,  pushing him away - it was all good," said Hakuhou. It's really hot in Nagoya these days. "I will not submit to the heat. A huge record is there for me to break," added Hakuhou, alluding to the most career wins record held by ex-KaioU (1047) that he intends to break this basho. He needs 9 wins to surpass all time second place Chiyonofuji's 1045 wins first, though.

白鵬、出稽古で順調「組んで良し、離れて良し」

• Like 1

New Ozeki Takayasu is changing the color of his mawashi to that more befitting of an Ozeki - black. He came down to the kjeiko-ba donning it. "I'm still not used to it but but there are a few more days left so I'm breaking it in," he said.

First look: "Yeah, it's THIS big.."  Stretching.

新大関高安、新調した黒の締め込みで朝稽古「数日あるので慣らしていきたい」(1)

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

New Ozeki Takayasu is changing the color of his mawashi to that more befitting of an Ozeki - black. He trained wearing it today. "I'm still not used to it but but there are a few more days left so I'm breaking it in," he said.

First look: "Yeah, it's THIS big.."  Stretching.

新大関高安、新調した黒の締め込みで朝稽古「数日あるので慣らしていきたい」(1)

Wearing a black mawashi while training? Not until he is demoted to makushita......

Yokozuna Kisenosato trained at home with Takayasu. 7-10. He lost the last four bouts due to Takayasu's stability at the tachi-ai. "I'd like to correct the things that are need of correction," he said. After the session he asked a lower ranker to film his tachiai which he checked out closely later. What he saw was not like he imagined but he intends to learn from it. "I now understand the difference," he admitted.

"I was able to get a good first step and managed to constantly do the same tachiai. It was good keiko today," said Takayasu.

稀勢の里は立ち合い確認「修正していきたい」

"Get up soldier!! GET UP!!"

高安「まだ体になじんでいない」黒の新締め込み披露
Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

Wearing a black mawashi while training? Not until he is demoted to makushita......

He didn't do any bouts wearing it, just the fundamentals, as you can see in the photo.

11 hours ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

I'm pretty sure the end game of Japanese newspaper reporting is going to be just listing random names and ages, then some results/happenings for nobody in particular, then finally a few quotes attributed to nobody. Which you'll only be able to piece together if you were actually there. 

I've been told by a 3rd party that Kisenosato lost 6, then won 5 straight, then lost 1, then won 6 straight. The 3rd party also said 'Don't shoot Kintamayama!' which i can agree with depending on the capitalization of the letter K

So far we'll get all the kimarite for Kise again (all vs. Takayasu)

sum17070405030001-p4.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki

Anyone know why black is considered a fitting mawashi colour for Y/O, when it's also the mawashi colour for all the non-sekitori?

16 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

Anyone know why black is considered a fitting mawashi colour for Y/O, when it's also the mawashi colour for all the non-sekitori?

The silk shimekomi for the basho is a completely different type of mawashi than the cotton training mawashi. It had to be black for all in the past, only with color TV we got those colorful ones.

Takayasu is breaking in his new black one - also Chiyonofuji used black

Edited by Akinomaki

Viking sports corner about the basho, focus on Kise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQy_liMCCuw

Hakuho trains with judo Olympic silver medalist Hisayoshi Harasawa

Kyodo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtT_wJTYwQ8

other news: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJasiXZVkqI

- :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT3x_EEwyKU

the special guest got a white (silver?) training mawashi, the other heya experience visitors a black one

96958A9E81818A99E3E2E6EBE28DE2E1E2E5E0E2E3E5E2E2E2E2E2E2-DSXMZO1842463003072017I00001-PN1-4.jpgos.jpgos.jpgo 0170703at46_t.jpgo 

20170703-OHT1I50105-N.jpgo 20170703-OYT1I50026-N.jpgo bt-hakuho-meP2017070400269300-w200_0.jpgoPK2017070402100056_size0.jpgo20170703s00005000478000p_thum.jpgo 4.jpgo

ex-judoka and now talento Shinichi Shinohara  also came for visit

bt-hakuho-meP20170703000717-w200_0.jpgo20170702-OHT1I50180-N.jpgo

• Like 2

A new dance trend?  The Squatting Macarena!

19 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

DDyuicXUMAANxDS.jpg:thumb

On 04/07/2017 at 16:22, Katooshu said:

I think it must be a hinkaku thing; i.e. you can't look suitably dignified in something bright/loud.

This subject cropped up a few months ago, and I was surprised to discover they're all supposed to wear dark, somewhat subdued mawashi. The NSK hasn't enforced it for most sekitori for decades, at least back to the 1960s, and for a while they didn't seem to mind Y/O wearing bright colours. In the old C4 coverage days I saw yokozuna Hokutoumi in sky blue, yokozuna Chiyonofuji in royal blue and yokozuna Asahifuji in quite loud purple. At some point they obviously started having a word with the Y/O because most of them suddenly went black or dark blue. Not all of them, though; e.g. ozeki Baruto in silver.

I wondered whether Takayasu would stick with his powder blue mawashi, but he's obviously decided to be conformist, like his peers. He's never struck me as a being rebel, so no surprise there.

• Like 1

Today it was 10-0 to Kisenosato over Takayasu. Sharp first step, grabbing his opponent, and all yorikiri wins. "Pretty good, huh? I was able to tune up with a good feeling,"said Kisenosato. "I'm moving much better," he added.

Is that a smile??

稀勢の里、高安に10戦全勝「動き良くなってきた」

• Like 4

Ozeki Terunofuji is slowly getting back in shape after he underwent endoscopic surgery to remove cartilage from his left knee. "Surgery notwithstanding, I'm moving pretty well. I'd like to up the pace a bit and enter the basho with a body that can move, " he said today, as he trained with dumbbells and tubes to strengthen his upper body and also had 18 bouts against Sandanme rikishi from his heya.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Today it was 10-0 to Kisenosato over Takayasu. Sharp first step, grabbing his opponent, and all yorikiri wins. "Pretty good, huh? I was able to tune up with a good feeling,"said Kisenosato. "I'm moving much better," he added.

Is that a smile??

稀勢の里、高安に10戦全勝「動き良くなってきた」

I wish Takayasu could look like he enjoy's his success .. Like this guy. 

"Of course I'm in!!" declared Yokozuna Kakuryuu today regarding his entry in the ever - nearing Nagoya Basho. He went for degeiko to Tokitsukaze beya and trained with the likes of Shoudai and Juryo Yutakayama, no numbers given. Quick tachiai, right hand grip and moving froward. "I was able to hit well at the tachiai," he said. His left ankle and back are not totally healed , but he says he's fine. "I'll try not to get caught up in my opponents' sumo and just try to do my own sumo.." he added.

• Like 2

On 07/06/2017 at 09:44, Kintamayama said:

Cool, sir.. Looks like a giant condom filled with semen.

Why Mr.Kintamayama? Why do you did this to my head? Now i cant watch Takayasu bouts anymore. Never again. Why?

2 hours ago, Burajirotono said:

Why Mr.Kintamayama? Why do you did this to my head? Now i cant watch Takayasu bouts anymore. Never again. Why?

Sorry.

• Like 1

Yokozuna Kisenosato is in as well in case anyone had doubts.Yesterday's 10-0 against Takayasu appears to have sealed the deal. "It was good keiko. All I can do now is concentrate.." he said. "I'm pretty much ready. My balance is now exceptionally good," he added.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Yokozuna Kisenosato is in as well in case anyone had doubts.Yesterday's 10-0 against Takayasu appears to have sealed the deal. "It was good keiko. All I can do now is concentrate.." he said. "I'm pretty much ready. My balance is now exceptionally good," he added.

Those bouts were pure yaocho.

(See signature of @Randomitsuki)

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 3