Kintamayama

Preparations of the Y/O-Nagoya 2017

8 hours ago, Kenneth Minami said:

Kisenosato-Yoshikaze. 9-12.

Kisenosato is going to become Terunofuji-the-second?

Are we now really making career predictions based on a few keiko results!??

Kisenosato second day at the Nishonoseki rengo keiko, takes on Yoshikaze again. This time : 2-7. "I don't want to hurry things. I am going about this carefully," he said. More details soon, hopefully.

Edited by Kintamayama

Kisenosato seemed to have re-injured his left upper arm in training today causing him to stop training as he cried out in pain at some point, says a report, . He could not get his left grip in in his bouts against Yoshikaze (2-7) and his back was too high at times. He was not specific about the pain. "Well, that's the way the cookie crumbles (something along those lines...). It's a small thing, but having a gear going out of order is not good.. All I can do is train diligently.." said Kisenosato.

"I'd like to ask him what's going on. I had great hopes for him, but he has not healed. He can't use his left. I'm really worried if he did re-injure it. He probably won't rest but I can't be optimistic. I'm more worried than hopeful," said NHK top commentator Kitanofuji (also the 52nd Yokozuna), who is known for not mincing his words.

Kisenosato's face says it all:

稀勢の里、左使えず…北の富士氏「楽観はできない」
  • Like 2

Ozeki Takayasu is back on track. At the Nishonoseki rengo keiko today, he faced Komusubi Kotoshougiku and Hokutofuji for ten bouts and won them all. "It was in my flow so I did well. It was perfect," he said later. "I concentrated on my first step and even when I was pushed back I managed to recover. It's still a gradual process but I've got a week till the start of the basho to train.." he added.

高安は不安一掃 北勝富士、琴奨菊に10戦全勝「自分の流れでしっかり取れた」

• Like 6

19 hours ago, dingo said:
On 30.6.2017 at 16:30, Kenneth Minami said:

Kisenosato-Yoshikaze. 9-12.

Kisenosato is going to become Terunofuji-the-second?

Are we now really making career predictions based on a few keiko results!??

Usually keiko is just keiko, but for Kise (vs. Yoshikaze 9-12) - it's the first time I ever saw something like this - even the kimarite were published http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20170701/sum17070105040001-n1.html

sum17070105040001-p3.jpg

• Like 4

Yokozuna Kisenosato did not train today. He seemed to have re-injured his upper left arm but no one is saying that. "He's tired. Kyujo? We're not thinking of that at this point. He's a Yokozuna so he knows what's what.." said Tagonoura Oyakata. Time is getting short..

Kisenosato training today:

• Like 3

Ozeki Terunofuji started real training today. He faced his heyamates Takarafuji, Homarefuji and Terutsuyoshi. 10-5. When he couldn't keep his body down, he was beaten easily. He had a massive supporter on his left knee which hampered his tachi-ai and caused him to grimace with pain. "I'm in my usual condition," he said, as he always says when he obviously isn't. "Of course I'm entering. It's no fun when I'm not around.." he added.

• Like 4

Yokozuna Harumafuji trained against Juryo Terutsuyoshi today, 19 bouts, 17 wins. Good, quick tempo to the bouts. "My condition isn't bad.." he said, while icing both arms and both ankles. "We still have a week. Even if I give it  my all from here, there's nothing I can do about it..All I can do is to make an effort day by day," he added.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4

And Takayasu? Trained at home. Seeing that Kisenosato was unavailable he mostly lent his chest to the young guys from Sandanme."I was thinking of going for degeiko but decided to stay here and train at my own pace. I think the number of training bouts I had so far is not enough," he said. "I still lack stamina. I'll try to fix that soon," he summed.

高安、田子ノ浦部屋で調整 「マイペースで」

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3

Yokozuna Hakuhou trained at home today with Juryo Yamaguchi and some Makushita guys - 13 bouts. "My body is ready.. Now all that remains to be seen is how I can do against the sekitori.." he said. He mostly did suriashi and teppo, perspiring well.

• Like 3

Surprised you didn't make any comment on that rather saucy pic of Takayasu, Moti. (Dancingofjoy...)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

Surprised you didn't make any comment on that rather saucy pic of Takayasu, Moti. (Dancingofjoy...)

I made a mental comment.

• Like 3

Terunofuji underwent endoscopic surgery on his left knee after last basho. "My knee was useless in the second half of every basho, so.." he said. It was his second surgery since January 2016 and he was already doing shiko a week after the surgery. He started real keiko yesterday and plans to go for degeiko as well.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Hakuhou went for degeiko at Tomozuna beya, now ruled by ex-Kyokutenhou. Some judo guys came to train as well..

A picture:DDyel1fUwAAdm85.jpg

• Like 2

And at the ceremony yesterday at a shrine- the three Ozeki:

DDpC5_LVwAA-Wkx.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Ender Wiggin said:

That picture could pass as an album cover from the 70's with the right filter.

Emerson, Lake and Powell. Make that Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Edited by Bumpkin
  • Like 2

On 01/07/2017 at 20:39, Akinomaki said:

Usually keiko is just keiko, but for Kise (vs. Yoshikaze 9-12) - it's the first time I ever saw something like this - even the kimarite were published http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20170701/sum17070105040001-n1.html

sum17070105040001-p3.jpg

I'm guessing that is because he's the first Japanese Yokozuna in a long time and was injured and everyone wants him to come back to his full potential soon and so on and so forth... 

15 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Hakuhou went for degeiko at Tomozuna beya, now ruled by ex-Kyokutenhou. Some judo guys came to train as well..

A picture:DDyel1fUwAAdm85.jpg

degeiko at Tomozuna? Mmmhhh…?

I can clearly read 宮城野部屋 (Miyaginobeya) in mirrored writing at the tent.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, torquato said:

degeiko at Tomozuna? Mmmhhh…?

I can clearly read 宮城野部屋 (Miyaginobeya) in mirrored writing at the tent.

MMMhhh indeed. It was Tomozuna beya that came to Miyagino for keiko. Indeed. BTW, Tomozuna backwards in Japanese is read as Miyagino in the deep south.

• Like 6

Kisenosato went today for degeiko at Tagonoura beya, which is his own heya so that can't be. As I am getting increasingly senile and unreliable, I shall be shot at dawn. Till then, just a quick note that Kisenosato (first birthday as a Yokozuna, 31) faced Takayasu for 18 bouts, winning 11-7. Or is it the other way around? I'm not sure, but I am positive it was Kisenosato with 11-7. "Bad or good, I decide myself. I want this to be another good year for me (plug for tires) and I'd like to get as many yushos as I can. I want to be a strong Yokozuna, and that thought will be my driving force," I hope he kind of said. He started off losing six straight, but then won five straight. (We're still talking about Kisenosato here, I guess..) Then the article says he won six more straight. If so, they could have said 11 straight wins, no? I don't get it.

上手出し投げに体勢を崩すなど6連敗から始まったが、そこから5連勝。得意の左四つに組み止め一気の出足もさえ、6連勝で締めた。

Or maybe they are dividing it by technique. Or maybe I should be reading this backwards. 

"I'm not tired anymore (he took a one-day rest from keiko yesterday). I was able to respond well today after a long time (now he's a phone?). This training session was a good start. If I can get in good shape I'll manage somehow or another," he summed in fluent Japanese.

This is not a book. It is a birthday cake. Now, the clever editor wrote that his physical condition and sumo were "cake" restored. Cake-keiki. Keiki also means condition and it also means opportunity, so that's one clever pun there. Or maybe it's all about Ura after all.

31歳の稀勢、高安と18番で11勝!体調も相撲も“ケーキ”回復(2)

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 15

I'm pretty sure the end game of Japanese newspaper reporting is going to be just listing random names and ages, then some results/happenings for nobody in particular, then finally a few quotes attributed to nobody. Which you'll only be able to piece together if you were actually there. 

I've been told by a 3rd party that Kisenosato lost 6, then won 5 straight, then lost 1, then won 6 straight. The 3rd party also said 'Don't shoot Kintamayama!' which i can agree with depending on the capitalization of the letter K

Edited by Tsuchinoninjin
  • Like 1