Kintamayama

Preparations of the Y/O-Nagoya 2017

Welcome, Mr. Ozeki Takayasu, to this here thread.

Takayasu started training yesterday at home. No actual sumo, just using waterbags (no idea..) Light movements. He did not look a changed man after becoming Ozeki, notes the reporter. He was as serious (worried?)  as usual.  He did lend his chest to the lower rankers and did some shiko at the end. "Nothing's changed. There's no reason not to go with my usual flow, bro.." he said. The only thing he finds hard to get used to is the fact that everyone is now calli9ng him "Ozeki" instead of by his shikona, as is customary for Ozeki and Yokozuna. (Side note- when I hung out with Konishiki a few years back, his people all called him "Ozeki", and he's been retired for a few months already..) "I'm not used to that yet. I still can't answer to that.." he said. "Now, I cannot do inferior sumo!!" he summed, acknowledging his new status.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 10

Same heya- Yokozuna Kisenosato has started light training as well, coming off a mid-basho kyujo. He took on the lower rankers, blasting into them from point blank range, using both hands well. He did 6 sets of 15 of these initial pushes. "I will diligently do what I can do," he said. "It's getting better slowly," he said when asked about his left upper arm injury that's causing him pain. BTW, a stamp is being issued in his honor and will be available to the general public form June 16th.

John, can you get us one of those stamps?

Kisenosato training with a rubber tube. Definitely not a waterbag.

稀勢の里が稽古始め「少しずつ」復活後押し切手出る
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

No actual sumo, just using waterbags (no idea..)

Bag of water with handles. This one is made by Bodymaker, who used to be the "arena name" for the Haru basho venue a few years ago.

Takayasu1.jpg

Takayasu2.jpg

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

Bag of water with handles. This one is made by Bodymaker, who used to be the "arena name" for the Haru basho venue a few years ago.

Takayasu2.jpg

Cool, sir.. Looks like a giant condom filled with semen.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 6

39 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Can't unsee that.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

:-S well there are usually a lot of young single men in a heya (Laughing...)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RaeucherLax said:

:-S well there are usually a lot of young single men in a heya (Laughing...)

And maybe some seamen as well..

Those are actually pretty cool. It would incorporate a lot more ancillary muscles to stabilize the water as it moves. Same idea as doing squats on top a bosu or a swiss ball. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Kisenosato training with a rubber tube. Definitely not a waterbag.

稀勢の里が稽古始め「少しずつ」復活後押し切手出る

Looks like physiotherapy.

On 6/7/2017 at 12:54, RabidJohn said:

Looks like physiotherapy.

Looks like a new guy that would rather be anywhere else.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Churaumi said:

...and afraid of Kise letting it slip.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2017 at 08:06, Kintamayama said:

Welcome, Mr. Ozeki Takayasu, to this here thread.

The only thing he finds hard to get used to is the fact that everyone is now calli9ng him "Ozeki" instead of by his shikona, as is customary for Ozeki and Yokozuna.

When you say "everyone", does that mean the general public, or the people in his heya?  I had this conception that the shikona were only used for public-facing things, and that in private they called each other by their given names or whatever nickname based on that they may have.  At least, I remember seeing a video where I thought Osunaarashi's shisho called him "Boody".  Maybe it's just the oyakata (or just shisho) who are allowed to use such nicknames.

Edited by Gurowake

4 hours ago, Churaumi said:

He's looking off to the side, maybe watching the welt rise on the last guy holding the band, waiting for the "twang" sound and the pain...

• Like 1

@Gurowake I thought pet names are used by only close friends and family in Japan, oyakata would definitely count. I do know they use titles a lot to address strangers and superiors, they always referred to me by mine until the ice had broken.

2 hours ago, Gurowake said:

When you say "everyone", does that mean the general public, or the people in his heya?  I had this conception that the shikona were only used for public-facing things, and that in private they called each other by their given names or whatever nickname based on that they may have.  At least, I remember seeing a video where I thought Osunaarashi's shisho called him "Boody".  Maybe it's just the oyakata (or just shisho) who are allowed to use such nicknames.

The general public I guess and the lower rankers at the heya probably. His peers probably call him "Hairy" or some sort of nickname.They all have nicknames-once upon a time there was a list of all nicknames, which Asashosakari will probably be able to dig up..

I do not know for sure for I am only translating, "Everyone" should be "people",  so the general public I guess.

We just had the discussion about addressing rikishi: he's now generally addressed as simply "ozeki", so far it was "Takayasu-zeki", same as an oyakata getting addressed as just "oyakata" when somebody (not close friends etc.) talks to them. He gets introduced (and talked about) with his name attached, but any further mention is just the occupation, ozeki, yokozuna, oyakata, okamisan, shacho ...

Yokozuna Kisenosato has declared that he is entering Nagoya. "I am aiming for a full return and will gambarize towards that goal.  I will be fulfilling my responsibilities as a Yokozuna and will participate in all 15 days, and will do my best to be able  to report favorably to everyone.." he said.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

On June 7, 2017 at 08:44, Kintamayama said:

Given that one can't see Takayasu's practice mawashi, it looks a little more disturbing...

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 2

Kakuryuu is a father to his second child, a boy. He went kyujo in the middle of  last basho due to a left ankle injury, and was seen doing shiko and suriashi at training. ""I'm mostly over it. I can't be depressed.. I can't be kyujo with this new kid.. I hope to face Nagoya in perfect shape!" he declared.

• Like 6

Yokozuna Kisenosato went for degeiko yesterday for the first time since he left last basho midway with his left arm injury, visiting Ounomatsu beya and facing Ounoshou for 15 bouts. No taping at all on his arm. Everybody is optimistic.

稀勢、休場後初の出稽古でテーピング施さず!名古屋場所へ仕上がり順調(1)

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

Looks like it did go well, since he managed to stay clean.

When can lower ranked rikishi go "all out" against a Yokozuna and when do they have to "take it"?

3 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

When can lower ranked rikishi go "all out" against a Yokozuna and when do they have to "take it"?

They can go all out in a honbasho, but in a training scenario like this they take it willingly. He'll still have been expected to do his best, though, if nothing too risky.

Kisenosato has bestowed a signal honour on Onosho by practicing with him at his heya. Onosho will regard it as a debt he owes Kisenosato, which he can only 'repay' by doing well himself.

Edited by RabidJohn

Frequently, someone (Kintamayama) will post (Yokozuna) practiced against (non-Yokozuna) and went (w-l). In such circumstances, how does the non-Yokozuna beat the Yokozuna?

7 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

Frequently, someone (Kintamayama) will post (Yokozuna) practiced against (non-Yokozuna) and went (w-l). In such circumstances, how does the non-Yokozuna beat the Yokozuna?

It's the same way anyone wins a sumo bout--either by having him touch the dohyo with any part of his body except the soles of his feet or by making him leave the ring first. I guess the yokozuna performing a losing technique like isamiashi doesn't count as a loss in practice--or does it?

Edited by sekitori