Sign in to follow this  
Gurowake

Next Ozeki/Yokozuna promotion (after Takayasu to Ozeki)

Next Ozeki/Yokozuna promotion (after Takayasu to Ozeki for Nagoya 2017)  

35 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will be the next rikishi promoted to Ozeki or Yokozuna, after Takayasu to Ozeki for Nagoya 2017?

• Terunofuji
    • Goeido
    • Takayasu
    • Kotoshogiku
    • Mitakeumi
    • Yoshikaze
    • Tochinoshin
    • Shodai
    • Tochiozan
    • Tamawashi
    • Ikioi
    • Ichinojo
    • Endo
    • Hokutofuji
    • Takakeisho
    • Ura
    • Osunaarashi
    • Chiyoshoma
    • Onosho
    • Daieisho
    • Someone else currently in Makuuchi
    • Someone else not currently in Makuuchi

Gurowake    1,638

Tried to include everyone that would be a reasonable candidate, including some old guys still near the top of the banzuke.

Edited by Gurowake

Tiger Tanaka    96

I went with Mitakeumi, but there are a few close contenders in my opinion. Below are my tiers of most likely candidates, though I didn't include lower divisions, as I admit I know very little on them. I've only followed sumo for 3-4 months. I've learned a lot (mostly thanks to you fine friends), but have a lot more to delve into!

Tier 1: Mitakeumi, Takayasu, Terunofuji

Let me preface by saying, I don't think there will be another Y/O promotion until we get an intai or two. There are just not enough wins to go around. It would take a bulk of consistent kyujo's from the current Y/O, which would eventually lead to intai/demotion. Of this tier, I gave Mitakeumi the slight edge as I think 33 over 3 is easier than back to back yusho or equivalent when you have a top heavy san'yaku. Takayasu would be next as he is in top form and has shown consistent health. Terunofuji is the best candidate if he had consistently good health.

Tier 2: Tamawashi, Shodai, Hokutofuji

Tamawashi has held his own and deserves credit for staying at Sekiwake for now 4 basho. With an intai or two, that would give Tamawashi the additional boost he needs to consistently average 11 wins. Shodai is only a small step behind the Tier 1 group, namely Mitakeumi, and has the ability.

Tier 3: Hokutofuji, Takakeisho, Onosho

Hokutofuji is in a similar spot to where Shodai/Mitakeumi were a year ago, collegiate yokozuna who has quickly ascended the ranks in their first year of sumo. Takakeisho and Onosho have similar profiles: Two 20 year old's, who are on the shorter side, and rely greatly on oshidashi, with it being heavily skewed as their top kimarite. Unknown how high they can go until they face higher ranks and are forced to develop their techniques on the mawashi.

Wildcard: Terunofuji or Goeido getting promoted to Ozeki after demotion and 10 wins the next basho :p

Edited by Tiger Tanaka
  • Like 1

Bumpkin    350

Gurowake;  May I suggest breaking this into two separate polls. One for next ozeki, the other for next yokozuna? My guess, Shodai as next ozeki and Terunofuji as next yokozuna.

MumboJumbo    27

I don't expect any promotions in the near future. Seems like it's too crowded up top. I'm betting on Terunofuji making it to yokozuna within the next year or two, before any of the "next ozeki" youngsters can make the push. 

Tamawashi seems pretty comfortable as sekiwake. Perhaps he can surprise us again and kick it up another notch...

Gurowake    1,638
21 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

Gurowake;  May I suggest breaking this into two separate polls. One for next ozeki, the other for next yokozuna? My guess, Shodai as next ozeki and Terunofuji as next yokozuna.

If that was what I was interested in polling for, I would have done that.  Having to choose between them is intentional.

• Like 1

Jakusotsu    2,047

Grumpy old me just had to vote for Takayasu being the next rikishi promoted to . . . Ozeki.

• Like 1

Benihana    620
16 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

My guess, Shodai as next ozeki

Sorry man, but i can't stop laughing (Laughing...)

Gurowake    1,638
14 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Grumpy old me just had to vote for Takayasu being the next rikishi promoted to . . . Ozeki.

11 hours ago, Ryoshishokunin said:

I voted for Goeido as... next Ozeki :)

I guess I should have said "first promotion to Ozeki" somewhere.  Oh well.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 1

RabidJohn    332

I don't often find myself part of a majority on anything, but two thirds of us seem to have faith in Mitakeumi!

My vote is Tamawashi to Ozeki. Second choice would be Terunofuji to Yokozuna, but I think that would necessitate a retirement or two and I'm not sure I have faith in his ability to stay healthy.

• Like 1

Kawabata    135
On 5/26/2018 at 21:08, Benihana said:

Hm, bummer.

I reckon Terunofuji would agree there...