Sign in to follow this  
Masumasumasu

SPLIT - BASHO TALK Natsu 2017 -- Masu's Gaijin Gripes

2 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

Oh no! Why can't Osunaarashi get much needed surgery and take 6 months off. Tochinoshin did back in 2013-2014 and his turned out OK.

He needed to train properly. His lower body is underdeveloped. Surgery won't fix that.

6 hours ago, John Gunning said:

More developed than pretty much all the arguments you have put forth on this forum. 

You're biased because he is a friend of yours. 

Try not to take things personally.

My post was an objective opinion based on what I see. Your responses are subjective emotion based on personal feelings.

Can we discuss sumo without getting personal?

6 hours ago, John Gunning said:

Do your obvious discriminatory tendencies blind you from the fact that Egyptians are not physically built like Japanese and no amount of training is going to give Osunaarashi the same dimensions as Takakeisho? 

Discriminatory tendencies?

You don't know me, and for you to say that I am 'obviously' discriminating against Oosunaarashi is a far more serious personal accusation than for me to say that the man didn't train properly. Let's get that straight.

Secondly, Oosunaarashi was interested in bodybuilding from an early age (hence the huge upper body). Will you then tell me that all Egyptians are all built like him? Furthermore, are you saying that all Japanese people are built like Takakesho?!!

The fact of the matter is that Takakesho earned his physique from how he trained and so did Oosunaarashi.

This is a forum for discussing sumo, not for personal attacks. Try to remain civil.

44 minutes ago, John Gunning said:

I'm informed not biased and if you listened to my commentary you'd realize I criticize the guys I know best the most.

I don't take anything you say personally. Why would I?

Actually not one of your posts since you joined the forum has been emotion free and that's the issue. I'll avoid going into a whole dissection of their weeaboo-ness because surely at this stage you must see it yourself. 

Without getting personal? Sure. Forgive me if I didn't make it clear that it's your ideas and posts that are ill-informed, borderline racist, obnoxious and plain wrong not you yourself.

I've heard your commentaries, John. Point me toward some major criticism you've had of Oosunaarashi. I believe you cannot because there aren't any.

None of my posts have been emotion-free? Really? Im fascinated. How do you discern emotion from the written words of people you have never met? Could it be YOUR OWN emotions that you are feeling?

Weeaboo-ness? Are you serious? Such name-calling should be reserved for elementary-school children.

Borderline racist?!!! This takes the bloody cake!!!

Give me some bloody evidence!! Otherwise, you're all talk!! I'd rather have the piss beaten out of me than be subjected to such slanderous and baseless accusations! 

Ad hominem is strong in you. Sound arguments? Not so much.

I realize now that Oosunaarashi reads these posts (and that John, understandably, feels the obligation to defend his friend) and that the things I say may seem hurtful.

I will declare right now that I don't mean to be hurtful to anyone. Unfortunately, these men are PROFESSIONAL sumo rikishi, and as professionals, dealing with pressure is 95% of the ballgame. This is what makes Hakuho the champion's champion (competitively speaking). 

I truly wish that simply praising a given rikishi could make him magically rise to the top of the banzuke. Truly I do. Unfortunately, sumo is tough and that is not how things work. 

Please don't call me a racist weeaboo! Whatever that is?

1 hour ago, John Gunning said:

Don't worry Charlie.

You have fabulous intel, Gunning-San. I wish that I was afforded the same luxury! That might actually make things around here fair. ;)

3 minutes ago, John Gunning said:

By the way Mr. H I'm curious. How do the mental gymnastics work? You call any disagreement with you a personal attack / defamation blah blah blah but 97.6% of your posts here are exactly that. Have you dehumanized Hakuho in your mind to the point where you don't see personal attacks on him as such? I mean surely you can't have such a low entertainment threshold that you find trolling people who ignore you still gratifying at this stage. So you must actually believe the things you say right? 

Hakuho is a public figure, and as such, is open to criticism on a 'public' forum.

7 minutes ago, John Gunning said:

By the way Mr. H I'm curious. How do the mental gymnastics work? You call any disagreement with you a personal attack / defamation blah blah blah but 97.6% of your posts here are exactly that. 

You called me a 'racist'. That, my 'friend' is a PERSONAL attack. 

12 minutes ago, rhyen said:

Can someone please shut down this flaming thread?(Protesting...)

I second that :O

Why were Gunning's gripes removed from this thread?

it was he, after all, who started up with me, not the other way around.

• Like 1

Okay, joke aside and not that I'm trying to keeping this going but I would like to make 1 comment and that is I think you're both wrong.

Sandy's lower body is not underdeveloped. Look at his legs in comparison to his arms and core:

Image result for osunaarashi

His issue with his lower body is his knees and that sure isn't anything to do with race. Half the sekitori, Asian and Western alike, have knee issues. it's the nature of the sport. If I was an oyakata I have all my guys wearing knee support and braces from the start whether they needed it or not.

His real issue to me is his core, stomach, is underdeveloped. And by underdeveloped I don't mean workout. I mean it's too skinny. He weighs plenty but the fat isn't in the right spots. The cause for that isn't racial either, you see Asians with the same issue, but may be cultural as in diet. The eastern Europeans, don't seem to have this as much despite being Western like Sandy. I think they solve that problem by, to be frank, being big beer drinkers. I'm not sure Sandy is and I think he may not be too fond of rice which is how the Asians do it. I think he needs to develop more of a beer belly. If he doesn't drink much and can only take so much rice then I think he needs to find somebody that can make a really good macaroni bechamel ASAP. I'd layoff off the squats too if that is what he is doing to strengthen his knees. Work the knees with leg extensions and leg curls from a bench instead.

• Like 1

Osunaarashi is a Muslim. Islam prohibits drinking alcoholic beverages including beer. If he doesn't drink beer than how will he ever develop a sumo belly? 

What happened to Oosunaarashi's dog? I believe the name was kalusha or something to that effect.

Osunaarashi is a Muslim. Islam prohibits drinking alcoholic beverages including beer. If he doesn't drink beer than how will he ever develop a sumo belly? 

Convert to another religion?

3 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

This was a serious question. Can any rikishi develop a "sumo belly" without drinking beer and lots of it?

I would say yes, it's all about caloric intake. Beer is easy because it a lot but so are other carbohydrates like rise and pasta. I'm Italian American myself and I've known plenty of guys with a big belly just from pasta. It's a matter of eating then being still like the rikishi are trained to do. Beer is easiest though because you can just replace whatever you normally drink with beer and up your intake really fast. 

39 minutes ago, Rocks said:
1 hour ago, Bumpkin said:

This was a serious question. Can any rikishi develop a "sumo belly" without drinking beer and lots of it?

I would say yes, it's all about caloric intake. Beer is easy because it a lot but so are other carbohydrates like rise and pasta. I'm Italian American myself and I've known plenty of guys with a big belly just from pasta. It's a matter of eating then being still like the rikishi are trained to do. Beer is easiest though because you can just replace whatever you normally drink with beer and up your intake really fast. 

Well, much of what people are drinking nowadays has more calories than beer... Besides, I also thought it was common knowledge these days that "beer bellies" aren't actually all they're cracked up to be. The links are that many heavy beer drinkers a) are often big eaters as well, and b) don't exercise much. Correlation, not causation. (If beer is actually a major source of one's caloric intake, it's probably going to cause more issues than just an expanding waistline...)

So, as far as rikishi are concerned, I'd guess it's more that drinking beer helps with eating big meals. And I'm sure there are rikishi who handle that just fine without the beer, too.

Edited by Asashosakari

Rocks and Asashosakari; Thank you for your responses. 

Mine was a serious answer.