Rijicho

Featured rikishi - Ichinoya

Oldest active sumotori!

Kintamayama's watchee!

Takasago's webmaster!

Anything else?

• Like 1

How old is he?

43. He is a nice person. I was the one who six years ago (time flies..) brought him to the ML's attention, and have been following him since, posting a daily watch of his records on the ML during honbasho.. Met him twice, ate his chanko, incredibly nice human being. Has a daily blog on the Takasago site with all kinds of stuff, ranging from farts to food. He is not just another pathetic guy who won't let go. He is intelligent, went to college, and is kid of a playing-manager of the heya. Even while cooking, he sticks his head out of the kitchen to give the young guys some advice.

When I last met him (2000), Asashouryuu was just starting Makushita, and was completely knocking out the young deshi at keiko, banging heads and doing his now-famous fierce brand of keiko. So much so, that Ichinoya had to shout at him to take it easy before he kills the guys.

Always smiling. If anyone is interested, here is the part in my travelogues about Ichinoya:

http://www.dichne.com/day4.htm

Oldest active sumotori!

Kintamayama's watchee!

Takasago's webmaster!

Anything else?

Loads more.

Much of it said by Kinta-san but also that he is first out in the morn, leads the keiko oftentimes, leads the prayers but packs it in first and heads to the kitchen.

Below the sekitori he IS head - regardless of rank.

Doesn't follow the orders of the ooyakata like the others - above all that now and definitely a future restaurant owner / head chef.

Glad you profiled him now...with a 2-5 at Jonidan 32E last basho, I'm a little worried that he may not have that much time left.

i've been fortunate in that he has had a match nearly every time i've been to see sumo, so i've seen him almost as many times as some of the sekitori - maybe more, in the case of a few "kega-kings." didn't always win, though he seemed to do pretty well most times. maybe i'm good luck for him. :-D

seeing him in the kitchen is the closest i've come to meeting him, but he seems to be a really nice person. i for one hope he can stay on as a sewanin or wakaimonogashira, though i'd definitely give any restaurant he ran a shot.

Kinta, other than calling in a favor from Doreen Simmons, how exactly does one get to see a dohyo-matsuri? are they open to the public?

Kinta, other than calling in a favor from Doreen Simmons, how exactly does one get to see a dohyo-matsuri? are they open to the public?

As far as I remember, they were open to the public, though the public didn't show up much.. I'm pretty sure they are. It should be on September 11th.

with a 2-5 at Jonidan 32E last basho, I'm a little worried that he may not have that much time left.

Naah, that's his usual score in the upper half of Johnny Dan. Then, when he gets to around 80, he gets a nice 5-2 and vice versa.

Well, his training seems interesting to me. Does he train along with the other rikishi? Does he train as much as they, or is he taking things easy, because he is so old?

Has anybody his career records, I'm curious how many days he was absent. I almost suppose he never was. Anybody knows how long he plans to be active?

I know, a lot of questions... :-D

Well, his training seems interesting to me. Does he train along with the other rikishi? Does he train as much as they, or is he taking things easy,

Over the times I've seen him he does go for it but does so in shorter form than the majority. Probably 1 hour / 90 mins at most last time I saw him - May?

As I said - he leads, barks out the orders following prayers and retires to the kitchen when the bigger boys start appearing in numbers or Asanowaka comes out (often first this one)

I seem to remember some friends who belong to various koenkai inviting me to a dohyo matsuri or two...I've had to work, so couldn't attend (they usually call last-minute, so I can't plan a day-off in advance :-D ).

Anyhow, I guess that means the public can attend. I really should call one of them up well in advance and suggest we go to the next one...The closest I've come is video and photos.

One notable fact about Ichinoya is that he has often stated that he still can't fully understand shiko and that he has not yet gotten in-depth into sumo and is constantly learning. Always deepening his approach to every detail in sumo. Quite an achievement from a rikishi who never went above sandanme level.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but as it is info about rikishi I found something out today. Kintamayama mentioned that Ichinoya was a college graduate, but he is also the first (and currently only) graduate of a national university to make it to sumo. He went to University of the Ryukyus and majored in Biology. He graduated way back in 1983. Other college rikishi have come from private universities, most often the powerhouses of Nichidai, Chuo Dai, Kinki Dai etc.