Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparations of the masses -Natsu 2017

Takayasu is going all out with his Ozeki attempt this time. He went to Tokitsukaze for degeiko today with everyone and his sister in attendance, apparently, He faced Kakuryuu, Shoudai, Yutakayama and others for a total of 14 bouts. "I was trying out all sorts of stuff and managed to do excellent keiko," he said. As he is unable to do serious keiko as usual with his injured heyamate Kisenosato, he traveled to Tokitsukaze beya. 2-7 against Kakuryuu but showed powerful tsuki/oshi as well. "I was able to plan each bout .I can make it if I can get into my favored position. I am off pace about a second or two and I'd like to fix that.." he added. "When he does his own sumo, his results are good," praised Kakuryuu later, who was looking pretty good as well.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5

Yutakayama (ex-Oyanagi) trained at home today. He faced Takayasu who came for degeiko for 15 bouts. 3-12. "That was tough.. Did I do 18 bouts in all? That many?? It was intense. I did that in Makushita but these guys are on a different level. I was exhausted during the last part so it seems all I did  well was the tachiai.. His lower back was really heavy. If it was any average guy  I would have been able to push him back, but that's Takayasu, right? I have got to add more Makuuchi stamina. There is a huge difference between Juryo training and this.." said Yutakayama. That being said, he did push Takayasu back a few times but had a hard time finishing him off.

Yutakayama tired:

豊山が“幕内の力”痛感 高安に2勝13敗
  • Like 3

Takayasu went for degeiko to Tokitsukaze beya for the second day running, facing the likes of Shoudai and Yutakayama, going 19-4 and showing great tsuki/oshi and generally moving forward well.. "I was able to train with a good feeling. I went all out!" he exclaimed. He had 15 straight bouts against Yutakayama. The last seven were back to back, without stopping to wipe off the sweat or for some water, leaving Yutakayama totally groggy in the end. "It reminded me of  when I trained under the former Naruto Oyakata- this is how we did it back then..(Today, you rarely see this in training.) I wanted to do keiko that would leave me short of breath. I've got to go after my opponents steadily!!  " he said. Next week is Golden Week , holiday time. "This week and next week will be the golden Week of training for me," he summed and joked at the same time.

• Like 2

Well, as long as it doesn't result in him overtraining and peaking too early like Kisenosato regularly used to do back then...

• Like 1

Takayasu was at the Tokitsukaze session today but did not face Kakuryuu. Instead, he faced Shoudai and others and was 11-3, showing fierce attacking even when held close. "It was training with substance. I was able to concentrate and it was perfect!" he enthused, smiling.

Ichinojou 5-4 against Kakuryuu today? Yes indeed. He had 19 bouts in all and was looking extra healthy. "I was able to do good keiko after a long time.." he agreed. Lately he has been ranked far from the joi ranks. Maybe it's his time to shine again. "I don't think the Yokozuna was going all out.." he said humbly.

New-maku Ounoshou faced Makushita rikishi at his own heya today for 30 bouts and showed, you guessed it, strong tsuki/oshi moves. He then did some butsugari with ex-Daidou (current Onogawa Oyakata) and was all sandy. "I think I'm in good shape. My feet are moving the way I'm imagining. All I can do is concentrate on a daily basis and go all out," he improvised.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5

New Mongolian recruit Mitoryuu (Turbold) was at the Tokitsukaze keiko two days ago, 17 bouts and won 12. The youngster will be starting off this basho at Makushita Tsukedashi 15. He faced Makushita 1 Abi and other Makushita rikishi and was looking sharp. "They were strong. It was severe keiko.." he said, feeling the power of the pros. He arrived in Japan back then on the same plane with Ozeki Terunofuji, who he met at the session and was seen getting some tips from . He then did some butsugari with Takayasu. "It was good basic training. My opponent kept coming at me with power.." said Takayasu.

20170504-OHT1I50134-N.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 6

Maegashira 1 Endou is training carefully. Today, he faced Juryo and under rikishi at home for only 6 bouts and did not engage Yokozuna Kisenosato who came for degeiko. Reason? He re-injured his right ankle at the YDC soken on the third. "I had an 'accident' but I am treating it and it's mostly gotten better," he said. He has a shot at reaching sanyaku for the first time. "I'm not thinking about that too much. I just want to get a kachikoshi at this rank. If I do that it means I'm strong enough for sanyaku.." he said.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

New Makuuchi Ounoshou had a big day in training today. Takayasu came to Ounomatsu beya for degeiko. Takayasu called out for him to train. First 10 bouts were 7-3 in Takayasu's favor. But then he seemed to have been regenerated and showed excellent power, managed to even win 4 straight bouts and ended a 36 bout session with a 19-17 over Takayasu!! after that, he got some butsugari tough love treatment from Takayasu and was perspiring profusely. "Takayasu-zeki can put on the pressure, he can defend well- he is amazing. But it was crazy fun. It was intense, but I feel happy more than anything. I felt the same when I trained with Kisenosato.." said the 20 year old kid. "I felt the content was good. I was able to stand my ground where I was able to and my feet were moving well and the ring sense was good.. I was able to push from a bad position. I think I have added some power. I'm aiming for double-digit wins this basho,"  he added.

Takayasu himself seemed to be addressing his own weaknesses on purpose and trying to find ways to overcome them. At some point he was asking Ounoshou constantly for a rematch. "Takayasu was mostly concentrating on defense, so.." said Ounomatsu Oyakata.  After the session Takayasu was all smiles. "Rikishi like Ounoshou who are round and small come in and push from the bottom upwards and do not let you get their mawashi.The opponents that come inside and fiercely attack are my problem. So from that point of view, it was good keiko," he said. "It's probably the first time I can not train with Kisenosato before a basho, but I am going out and moving my body every day. I consider that a plus.." he added.

The Undertaker?

阿武咲「圧がえぐいっす」高安と白熱稽古で勝ち越し

• Like 12

21 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

New Mongolian recruit Mitoryuu (Turbold) was at the Tokitsukaze keiko two days ago, 17 bouts and won 12. The youngster will be starting off this basho at Makushita Tsukedashi 15. He faced Makushita 1 Abi and other Makushita rikishi and was looking sharp. "They were strong. It was severe keiko.." he said, feeling the power of the pros. He arrived in Japan back then on the same plane with Ozeki Terunofuji, who he met at the session and was seen getting some tips from . He then did some butsugari with Takayasu. "It was good basic training. My opponent kept coming at me with power.." said Takayasu.

20170504-OHT1I50134-N.jpg

His TD status doesn't seem to be reflected on the banzuke at all. Another blunder by the NSK?

1 hour ago, WAKATAKE said:

His TD status doesn't seem to be reflected on the banzuke at all. Another blunder by the NSK?

It will appear after his first bout-there are two TDs this basho BTW.

Emboldened by his new shikona perhaps, Yutakayama has declared he is aiming for a sansho. He had a serious butsugari session with Yokozuna Hakuhou at Tokitsukaze beya today, being rolled over time and again and getting covered in sand. "Hey, 10 wins!! If you get ten wins you'll get a sansho!!" said Hakuhou unto him between throws, driving him to rise up to the challenge again and again, fatigue notwithstanding (or in this case, notwithrolling). "Being honored with borrowing the Dai-Yokozuna's chest, it would shame me if I didn't get a sansho. I will do my best and gambarize!!" he declared, promised and vowed.

"You are feeling sleepy... Sleepy. When you wake up, you will have ten wins!!"

豊山、白鵬の胸借り稽古「10番勝てば三賞だぞ」
  • Like 17

^^ If this were a caption comp, that would be a clear winner!

• Like 1

Takayasu participated in the Nishonoseki rengo keiko today and fell flat on his face, going 2-5. These daily degeiko sessions have gotten to him and he looked very tired. "I couldn't generate any power from the bottom half of my body .." said Takayasu. His back was high at the tachiai and he lost to lower  Maegashira and Juryo rikishi. "Hey, I arranged this rengo keiko for you so you better wake up!" said a disappointed Nishonoseki Oyakata. "I couldn't show my worth. Tomorrow I shall pull myself together!" he vowed.

"OK. you are definitely not Takarafuji!"

Or

"Where's the million yen we lent you? You better have it by Friday!!"

高安反省、精彩欠き2勝5敗「気持ちを引き締める」
Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 8

Has there been any updates on Mitakeumi? I forget if you mentioned it Kintamayama, but I thought I read somewhere that he hurt his left hand and was also absent from the soken. 

13 hours ago, Tiger Tanaka said:

Has there been any updates on Mitakeumi? I forget if you mentioned it Kintamayama, but I thought I read somewhere that he hurt his left hand and was also absent from the soken. 

No updates.

Sekiwake Kotoshougiku needs 33 wins this basho to return to Ozeki, Today he faced Kisenosato at the Nishonoseki Ichimon rengo keiko. 10 bouts, 3-7. Looking good (Isn't everyone 'looking good' these days?). "I'm glad I was able to concentrate. The Yokozuna was everything - strong AND heavy..." he said. He also faced Takayasu. "I am losing to him physically," he explained.

Kise and the Geek:

琴奨菊、稀勢の里との稽古に「横綱は何だかんだで、強いし重い」

• Like 4

Sekiwake Yoshikaze injured his left leg in a bout against Kisenosato in training today. Pulled calf muscle, according to Oguruma Oyakata. "I felt a twinge .If I would have continued training it would have been dangerous," said Yoshikaze, icing the injured leg. "He was walking around by himself later so I guess he's OK, " said Oguruma Oyakata.

The moment of injury:

嘉風、稀勢の里との稽古で負傷「ぴりっと…あのまま続けていたら危なかった」

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Gunning said:

(Applauding...)

I do not think he will succeed.

8 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I do not think he will succeed.

Well he surprised everybody by winning a Basho once ;-)  but unfortunately not even the Geek will get 33 wins out of 15 bouts :'-(

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 06:38, Kintamayama said:

"Hey, 10 wins!! If you get ten wins you'll get a sansho!!" said Hakuhou unto him between throws

Dare I suggest that Hakuho is a little behind the times here... in the past it certainly was the case that a ten wins as a shin-nyumaku virtually guaranteed you the Kantosho but that seems to have fallen out of fashion recently.

Or maybe he's fully aware and was just offering encouraging words.

I guess my first question is...does his 9-6 last tournament constitute the start of an ozeki run, or simply a failed attempt to return to ozeki? Second part, if 9-6 stands as the start of a run and Giku found some miraculous new gear and went, say, 11-4, 12-3 the next two tournaments, would they be more lenient and grant him ozeki at 32 wins, or would they be more stringent because of his failed ozeki stature and be all, "33 wins or bust!"? 

My understanding of the process is that it's rather subjective. The 33 wins thing being more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule.  He may kill the next couple basho and the NSK could still say no, especially since they already have 2 stable ozeki. Would they hose him like that? Probably not, but it's not like they haven't hosed guys before.

2 hours ago, Benevolance said:

I guess my first question is...does his 9-6 last tournament constitute the start of an ozeki run, or simply a failed attempt to return to ozeki? Second part, if 9-6 stands as the start of a run and Giku found some miraculous new gear and went, say, 11-4, 12-3 the next two tournaments, would they be more lenient and grant him ozeki at 32 wins, or would they be more stringent because of his failed ozeki stature and be all, "33 wins or bust!"? 

The may go Miyabiyama and ask for 34. I highly doubt this will be a problem, though. Kotoshougiku will be makekoshi this basho.

Edited by Kintamayama