Sign in to follow this  
Jesse Stoll

RINGSIDE SEATS for Natsu Basho

I purchased these tickets (attached) to the Spring Basho - Very excited as it is my first time watching sumo live and I have wanted to go to a tournament for years. A few questions - I was told that the attached tickets purchased are Ringside.. Can someone please verify if these really are ringside and where I will be sitting exactly? Also, is it likely that both Hakuho and Kisenosato will be fighting in May?

Thank you!

Edited by Jakusotsu
Please try to attach your picture again. The original link was broken.

Those are tickets for day 14 of the summer ("Natsu") basho - spring basho was in March. The tickets are not exactly ringside ("tamariseki"), but masuseki which cover the whole ground floor beyond the ringside seats. Going by the price tag they should be masuseki B (they range from A to C) and I think row 11 in the front view section (shomen), so you got a very nice day and block of seats. If you can call them seats, as they are without chairs, it's just a block for 4 to sit on the floor, Japanese style, which can be tight and uncomfortable for typical Western size and mobility.

It is likely that Hakuho and Kisenosato participate, but both are coming off injuries right now, so you don't really know for sure, especially if they are still actiive on day 14 or not.

• Like 5

Yes Box B. That is the マスB on the ticket. 

Box B is really close though, anyone here would be ecstatic to have that ticket, esp on a day where yokozuna are probably facing each other.

The sumo arena in Tokyo is quite small compared to western sports arenas.

• Like 2

So you know for the future, genuine ringside seats at the Kokugikan are generally not available to the public but are "owned" by VIPs and ozumo supporters. If you could get them, they'd certainly cost more than 10,600 yen. Anyone claiming to be selling "ringside" seats either doesn't know what that word means in English, or is fibbing.

But as @Tsuchinoninjin said, those are quite satisfactory!

Here's a detailed venue map: http://www.sumo.or.jp/pdf/honbasho/kansen/tokyo/arena_map.pdf

You are on the second page map. Notice the 'Main' symbol next to the 11 matches up with the 'Main' section on the map on page 2. Row 11 is section B (The tiny numbers on the diagonal is where you are looking for the 11). The 12 indicates which box in that row you are in. Row 11 goes from Boxes 1 to 29, so Box 12 is pretty centered. You should have a great view!

Here's a full photo of the stadium. I have it zoomed in on your box. If you zoom out, you can get the full view/scope of where you are: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.6967851,139.7931324,3a,15y,23.13h,79.46t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sbuyGvD4_JAOeyVYWPXjfWg!2e0!3e2!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Like 3

Great seats.

Masu boxes are better than ringside. You can eat, drink and be merry. At ringside one has to behave oneself.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Masumasumasu said:

Masu boxes are better than ringside. You can eat, drink and be merry. At ringside one has to behave oneself.

Not to mention aware and self conscious about being broadcast on national television and globally online forever and ever.  Although I remember seeing a few with sunglasses and white face masks.  What a great way to watch your first live basho experience though!

Ah, so bummed though and feel like we got scammed, I wanted our first experience to be Ringside (or at very least Box A)..

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone, it's my first time and just learning how to maximize for the best experience.. Is there any way to purchase an opportunity to meet one of the Yokozuna (i.e. Hakuho or Kisenosato)? Or where we can go to possibly see them walk by?

Thank you again!

1 hour ago, Jesse Stoll said:

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone, it's my first time and just learning how to maximize for the best experience.. Is there any way to purchase an opportunity to meet one of the Yokozuna (i.e. Hakuho or Kisenosato)? Or where we can go to possibly see them walk by?

Thank you again!

If you want to see most rikishi, you just need to be outside the Kokugikan at the right time of day to see them arrive. (Not sure what time that might be; the more experienced could tell you more definitely.) But ozeki and yokozuna have the privilege of arriving by car to the underground garage, so they're not in public view when they get there.

You'd get a reasonably close-up view of all the rikishi fighting from the west side on that day were your seats on the opposite side of the arena since you wouldn't be far from the hanamichi. But you're on the same side as the TV cameras.

2 hours ago, Jesse Stoll said:

Ah, so bummed though and feel like we got scammed, I wanted our first experience to be Ringside (or at very least Box A)..

You didn't get scammed unless you were charged $400+ per ticket.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jesse Stoll said:

Thank you again!

It is usually possible to meet some sekitori after their matches are over. The only thing is that you have to wait outside for them to come out. And many of the rikishi leave the kokugikan before all the matches have even finished.  You need to decide if you want to watch sumo or meet the rikishi. After the sumo is over it will be most likely too crowded to get any autographs or pictures taken.  A few years ago this was not the case, but with the newfound popularity of sumo, I doubt you'll have a chance unless you decide to wait outside during the top division matches. 

The best place to see the Oseki and Yokozuna up close would be Kyushu in November.

• Like 1

Actually, if you want to experience the real ring-side seats, just go early on the day.  Up until the Juryo bouts (and I have managed on at least a couple of occasions to last through the whole of the Juryo bouts ring-side, up to the Yokozuna entries), as long as you behave yourself, you can just sit down on one of the vacant ringside seats, and keep shuffling around (politely) if and when the real owner turns up.  Of course, if someone politely asks you to move to your real seats, you do just that.  

...and yes, your real seats are great, with a really good view (and you are allowed to drink beer in them!), so perfect for watching the Juryo and Makunouchi bouts.

My information is based on what happened about 10 years ago and more.  They have tightened up a bit, since then, but I believe the above should still hold true - others with more recent experiences may disagree....

11 hours ago, Jejima said:

Actually, if you want to experience the real ring-side seats, just go early on the day.  Up until the Juryo bouts (and I have managed on at least a couple of occasions to last through the whole of the Juryo bouts ring-side, up to the Yokozuna entries), as long as you behave yourself, you can just sit down on one of the vacant ringside seats, and keep shuffling around (politely) if and when the real owner turns up.  Of course, if someone politely asks you to move to your real seats, you do just that.

Don't they have something like a ticket check when you get in and someone to walk you to your seat? I'd love to go and check out some of the lower ranked matches up close...

Edited by dada78641

I think the ticket check is just to see if your seat is ground level and not of the general admission (balcony) variety.  Unless they've gotten extremely stringent about checking tickets, he should have no problem sitting ringside for the pre-Juryo matches.  Just remember:  No food or drinks are allowed ringside.

• Like 1

How lucky are you! I wish someday I can find the time and funds to go watch a basho, preferably before Kise retires...

On 4/18/2017 at 10:35, Doitsuyama said:

which can be tight and uncomfortable for typical Western size and mobility.

A subtle barb there, not that you're wrong.

10 hours ago, just_some_guy said:

A subtle barb there, not that you're wrong.

I understand it has to do as much with length as anything else. Trying to fold up four 185cm people into one of those boxes would be a bit of a challenge. As far as mobility goes, sitting seiza is probably the most "compact" method, but it's a very rare Westerner who's used to it.

2 hours ago, John Gunning said:

In English length refers to horizontal and height to vertical. But maybe you knew that and were just being outrageously boastful.

B-)

Does anyone know what time the Makuuchi arrive and when would be the best time to see Hakuho, Kisenosato etc and the Yokozuna arrive to the arena? I want to try and get a photo before or after!

Around 14:00 the sekitori start arriving at the Kkgan... it will be a steady trickle by the West entrance, perhaps sekitori from the same heya arriving together, etc.
The Yokozuna will arrive at the underground garage where you can't see them until they arrive at ringside just before their bouts.

10 hours ago, orandashoho said:

The Yokozuna will … arrive at ringside just before their bouts.

Well, we all know they will appear before for their doyho-iri. ;-)

• Like 1