Akinomaki

PR for Natsu 2017

7 posts in this topic

For the start of the short track ticket sale race

1 person likes this

I guess they are still obliged to run the adverts even if the tickets are sold out?

any links to the public spoken session on the 3rd?

Posted (edited)

28 minutes ago, rhyen said:

I guess they are still obliged to run the adverts even if the tickets are sold out?

any links to the public spoken session on the 3rd?

They never did PR for the soken, they're just announcing it on Twitter and LINE.

The clip now turned into PR for the ticket reselling sites - tamari-seki for day 15 at the moment:

110 000Yen (and you have to buy 2): https://ticketcamp.net/sumo-tickets/?count=all&event_group_id=26809&extra_payment=all&filter=active&section_id=21135&sort=high-price#ticket-list-content

That's of course a good seat you won't be able to buy anyway, you'd need connections or luck at the seat lottery

A very minor masu C seat box for 4 people day 15: now 250 000Yen

On 10.4.2017 at 15:43, Akinomaki said:

Tickets for the basho at a proper exchange site (you need a mobile phone number in Japan): https://ticketcamp.net/sumo-tickets/?count=all&event_group_id=26809&extra_payment=all&filter=active&section_id=all&sort=price#ticket-list-content

You can filter them e.g. by type of seat

Tamari-seki for about 50 000Yen (originally 14.800), one-person masu A for about 30 000 (11.700), others also for less than double.

original prices here: http://sumo.pia.jp/seat05.jsp

Edited by Akinomaki
1 person likes this

The gomen-fuda for the basho has been put in place

C9xQeeuUIAAs0yf.jpg:large

C9xQcQRVoAAIWFc.jpg:large

3 people like this

Only about 30% of all the tickets for the just over 10800 seats in the kokugikan are sold directly to the public by the NSK: still about 70% go to the sumo-chaya to sell to mainly their old time customers, esp. NSK related persons, their family and supporters. Nearly all of the first 8 rows of the 4person masu-seats are controlled by them. (The corner 1 or more person masu are sold on the net, phone or ticket booths - and they aren't included in the pre-advance sales lottery). 80% of the chaya tickets go to fixed clientele who buy for all 15 days, only 20% are sold day by day to those who phone the kokugikan service corporation - the umbrella under which all 20 chaya operate, with investments from the NSK.

The chaya get the tickets for 90% of the official price from the NSK, but can't return the tickets they don't sell. Before the present sumo boom that made it a rigid business for the chaya - maybe that's what in recent years brought a much better service from the kokugikan service corporation to all customers, even those who hadn't bought the expensive full service chaya tickets with catering and presents attached. Now with the sumo boom's  Kise-peak they likely won't have tickets left for much longer than those sold on the net - a return to the time of the Waka-Taka boom: then they could sell a masu box priced about 40 000 Yen (without extras) for up to 700 000 Yen.

- While I lived in Japan for 7 years - basically the start of Heisei, it was common knowledge that you won't get to watch sumo live in the kokugikan if you don't get invited by a company etc. that belongs to the clientele of the chaya. Thus my first visit there was when Waka-Taka boom had ended and tickets were freely available, on a trip to Japan in 2002. And only in recent years I learned that when you have a 1 person masu seat bought elsewhere and order some food and drinks or pamphlets in advance from the kokugikan service corporation, a dekata from the chaya will not only show you to your seat with the things ordered, you get a free pot of tea as well, sometimes even with refill - maybe no longer refilled now. I didn't give a him tip - but apparently that's customary: -

If some of the clientele get shown to the seat, they may give the dekata a tip of 5000-10000Yen: he will then keep the bulky bags with presents, which would make the masu box already packed with 4 people even more uncomfortable, and bring them for the time of the ozeki bouts.

To get a ticket now, one may get one from the chaya clientele, who hardly really go to the basho every day.

http://www.news-postseven.com/archives/20170424_520373.html

The 4 person masu boxes go with 4 separate tickets for the same box location - what is still getting sold on https://ticketcamp.net/sumo-tickets/?count=all&event_group_id=26809&extra_payment=all&filter=active&section_id=all&sort=price#ticket-list-content

may also be from that source - the prices are still decent for the minor seats.

And to watch sumo for free, you can line up early for the keiko soken on May 3rd - now with the same chance to not get in as the people who couldn't get tickets though they lined up at the kokugikan ticket booths on the morning sales started.

Edited by Akinomaki
9 people like this

How do ticket sales for foreigners work? I've played around with the NSK site, it looks like people traveling to Japan get some advantage over locals. Anyone ever done it? 

I'm asking for a friend...that I'm taking with me to sumo if we can get in.

Are you looking for the May basho?  I see buysumotickets.com is taking preorders for foreigners for the July basho.