Asashosakari

New recruits for Natsu 2017

If all goes to plan, Natsu basho will see the second instance (after Haru 2004) of multiple makushita 15 tsukedashi starters - reigning All-Japan champion Yago (Oguruma-beya), who refrained from starting in March due to continued knee injury rehab, has declared his intention to join in Natsu now, and today's board of directors meeting officially confirmed the Ms15 tsukedashi entry for both him and Kokutai champion Turbold (Nishikido-beya). The latter of course already underwent the shindeshi medical exams in Haru and is pretty much set to go, Yago still has to pass the checkups as part of the upcoming group of recruits.

Lots more info about both in the Haru thread; collected links near the bottom of this post.

• Like 6

On 1.4.2017 at 10:50, Kintamayama said:

Naruto beya has officially been opened today headed by proud Naruto Oyakata, ex-Kotooushuu. (...) There are three deshi at the heya, including the new 20-year old Bulgarian who will be entering in May.

As the quoted post already had a picture of him, I guess it's official. By English transcription, his name appears to be Ventsislav Nikolov Katsarov, and his background is (unsurprisingly) in freestyle Olympic wrestling, where he last fought as a junior in the 120 kg category. He was entered to compete in last year's junior world championships, but I can't find him in the results for that event on the UWW site, so I'm not sure what's up with that. As far as I can tell he doesn't have any athlete entry in that results database at all, so it's possible he never competed internationally.

Going by these Bulgarian results from two years ago, he's from Plovdiv, or at least was based in a wrestling club there. (Edit: 2016 results place him nearby in Asenovgrad instead.)

Katsarov's current measurements: 195 cm / 133 kg.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 8

Two new gyoji and one new tokoyama join the ranks for the Natsu basho, all 15 years old.

Kimura Narimasa (木村 成将), Irumagawa-beya
Shikimori Tomotaro (式守 友太郎), Tomozuna-beya

Tokohibiki (床響), Sadogatake-beya

Rumours that Tokohibiki falls over just as he's about to complete a chonmage are unfounded...

• Like 14

Not another uchi-deshi for Hakuho: Toki Oota 大田斗葵 (19, 174cm, 127kg) from Kotoura-town, Tottori, simply enters Miyagino-beya. He graduated in March from Tottori high and wanted to join the same heya as sempai Ishiura: "I want to get to makuuchi quickly." Team yusho at the high school selection tournament in Feb. 2016, but he injured his knee in June that year and was sidelined for other tournaments his club mates won - the frustration about this became an impetus to go on and join the pros. His shikona is planned to be Toki, but rather not with the same kanji as his first name - undecided yet which to use. http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/local/tottori/news/20170424-OYTNT50442.html

The press conference to announce it was on the 24th at the school, with Miyagino-oyakata and headmaster and head sumo coach Ishiura (the father): "I want him to go for training which makes him avoid injuries. "The shin-deshi kensa is on May 1st.  http://mainichi.jp/articles/20170425/ddl/k31/050/512000c

9.jpg

20170424-OYTNI50143-L.jpg

He will be the 13th active rikishi from Tottori high origin. His amateur results in more detail here: http://www.nnn.co.jp/news/170425/20170425050.html

IP170424TAN000193000_02.jpg

The 2nd time I hear Toki these days - also the name of the middle brother on Kise's Hokuto-no-ken mawashi set.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Joining Oguruma-beya is 22-year-old Yuta Minami, who graduated in March from Nippon Sports Science University, same as his senior stablemate Yoshikaze. The press report him as 180cm, 165kg currently.

Third from right with the sky blue tie.

Minami01.jpg

Also, the two new gyoji made their first appearance during the Haru jungyo, here they are courtesy of the Kyokai.

Spoiler

Kimura Narimasa.

Kimura_Narimasa.jpg

Shikimori Tomotaro.

Shikimori_Tomotaro.jpg

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

Joining Oguruma-beya is 22-year-old Yuta Minami, who graduated in March from Nippon Sports Science University, same as his senior stablemate Yoshikaze. The press report him as 180cm, 165kg currently.

Pure coincidence, but that's the name of one of my high school classmates!

Minami is an accomplished pianist, started playing in elementary school and composed the music for the athletic meet for said elementary school. His idol-Richard Clayderman. He was recommended for a music college but decided to join sumo. "I think rikishi are cool.." he said.

With hysterical fan biting on a towel so as not to scream:

ピアノ力士の南友太が尾車部屋入門 音大より相撲
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Minami01.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Kimura Narimasa.

Kimura_Narimasa.jpg

Shikimori Tomotaro.

Shikimori_Tomotaro.jpg

Thanks for obliterating all doubts... ;-)

• Like 2

is it during the basho or right after the banzuke comes out that we see even more recruits?

On 26.4.2017 at 16:09, Yubinhaad said:

Did karate in elementary school, then judo in middle school, and finally sumo in high school. Interesting progression, especially with that playing-the-piano all along.

No idea if it's just hyperbole, but his mother claims that Yuta, while of normal weight at birth (3300 g), already weighed over 10 kg at three months of age, which would place him hugely outside the normal parameters. So, sumo was apparently a foregone conclusion.

So neither of the college champs are on the banzuke...starting in Nagoya then?

Edited by Katooshu

2 hours ago, Katooshu said:

So neither of the college champs are on the banzuke...starting in Nagoya then?

They may be added later. When the day 1 torikumi is released.

7 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

Ah, I see. Is that typical with the MsTD starters?

Yes. And also SdTD.

• Like 1

Turbold will make his debut under the shikona Mitoryu Takayuki (水戸龍 聖之), Nishikido-beya announced today. An alternative, Izumifuji, was rejected in the end. Also, he has been assigned as a tsukebito to Okinoumi, from the same Takasago ichimon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Turbold will make his debut under the shikona Mitoryu Takayuki (水戸龍 聖之), Nishikido-beya announced today. An alternative, Izumifuji, was rejected in the end. Also, he has been assigned as a tsukebito to Okinoumi, from the same Takasago ichimon.

So is he Mitoryu or Takayuki (what we will refer him to, i.e. Sho Hakuho is Hakuho.)

2 hours ago, PawnSums said:

So is he Mitoryu or Takayuki (what we will refer him to, i.e. Sho Hakuho is Hakuho.)

Go by the first name. The second is the given name.

On 3.5.2017 at 01:37, Yubinhaad said:

Hochi adds the claim that they're planning to have him inherit a "traditional Takasago ichimon shikona" in the future. My tactful reaction would be "I'll believe that when I see it" - my real reaction was "He's going to be the next Takamiyama Daigoro / Konishiki Yasokichi / Asashio Taro? Yeah right, pull the other one."

• Like 1

On 5/1/2017 at 15:48, Katooshu said:

Ah, I see. Is that typical with the MsTD starters?

Tsukedashi effectively means "off the banzuke".  They're given a rank for pairing and future banzuke purposes, but it's not a rank on the current banzuke.

• Like 2

7 had applied for the shindeshi-kensa today, but 1 didn't appear, the rest passed the initial check. The focus is on the new Bulgarian for Osh

C_XXJCwVYAEtaSf.jpg:large

C_XXJCwVYAEtaSf.jpg:thumbo bt-ta-katua170509-w200_0.jpg o $20170509s00005000055000p_thum.jpgo

and Yago

C_XXGXkUQAAtuCD.jpg:large

C_XXGXkUQAAtuCD.jpg:thumbo20170509-OHT1I50027-N.jpgo sum17050914570003-m1.jpgo bt-ta-yago170509-w200_0.jpgo dly1705090007-g1.jpgo spo1705090009-n1.jpgo sum17050911570002-m1.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

On 26.04.2017 at 17:09, Yubinhaad said:

Minami01.jpg

Also, the two new gyoji made their first appearance during the Haru jungyo, here they are courtesy of the Kyokai.

Reveal hidden contents

Kimura Narimasa.

Kimura_Narimasa.jpg

Shikimori Tomotaro.

Shikimori_Tomotaro.jpg

Who is the man with yellow tie?

20 hours ago, Kenneth Minami said:

Who is the man with yellow tie?

Oh! That`s Saito

Edited by Kenneth Minami
  • Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 03:14, Asashosakari said:

"traditional Takasago ichimon shikona..... "He's going to be the next Takamiyama Daigoro / Konishiki Yasokichi / Asashio Taro? Yeah right, pull the other one."

I wish asashoryu was a traditional takasago ichimon shikona