Rocks

Thanks!

I don't know what happened or what you did to fix it but thanks very much! (Applauding...)(Applauding...)(Applauding...)(Applauding...)(Applauding...)(Applauding...)(Applauding...)(Applauding...)

Between Sumo Forum being down and @Kintamayama saying his videos could be days late due to gigs I was going through some serious withdrawal there. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rocks said:

Between Sumo Forum being down and @Kintamayama saying his videos could be days late due to gigs I was going through some serious withdrawal there. 

Today was ok  and tomorrow will be fine. Thursday -Friday will be  difficult.

• Like 1

Forum was down right? I thought my strict Indonesian internet provider somehow blocked it due to excessive skin shown...

..and now Google is acting up. (Or is it just me?)

Edit: The problem manifested in Firefox only, and is gone now after a couple of hours. Very, very strange....

Edited by Jakusotsu

It's amazing how discontenting it is to have a whole day without the Sumo Forum.

1 hour ago, Naganoyama said:

It's amazing how discontenting it is to have a whole day without the Sumo Forum.

I found it quite refreshing, actually. B-)

Our service provider performed some server maintenance earlier this week, which -- as one might expect -- resulted in some downtime. Something unexpected happened during the process, which caused the downtime to be longer than usual and also resulted in some access issues later on. I think we've now resolved said issues and the forum is running as usual. The unfortunate thing is that all this happened during a basho. A case of circumstances beyond our control; still, apologies for the inconvenience.

• Like 11

Always good to know the root cause of a problem. Only then can the likelihood of recurrence be calculated.
Thanks as always for your good work Exil (Signofapproval...)

@Exil - Was there an update to the forum engine during the past week? Since Sunday I'm now unable to paste formatted tables. Strangely enough, this table was still possible to post on Monday, but only through Internet Explorer, which has since joined the others in not working anymore.

On IE, I actually still see the properly formatted table when I paste it into the post, but the formatting isn't retained on submitting the post. The Chromium-based browsers and Firefox trash the formatting right away on pasting. Strangely enough, when I paste a table from a webpage open in IE, into a forum post open in Opera, I also see partial formatting (borders and column widths, but not background colours or text alignments), but again it disappears on submitting the post.

Edit:

Further testing results: Pasting from IE to Firefox retains the full formatting, but also loses it on submitting. 

And something really, really weird: Pasting a formatted table (only from IE) into a new post restores the formatted display for the previous posts!

initial view

pasted view on Opera

pasted view on Firefox

pasted view on IE

Clearly at least some parts of the table formatting are still retained by the forum database, and just not displayed in posts. (Though background colours and text alignments seem to get trashed consistently.)

Apparently the forum database still saves (some of) the class attributes of the various HTML tags, but not actually the full WYSIWYG display as it used to? Very weird.

Edited by Asashosakari

@Asashosakari - I did update the forum software before I made the above post. As with previous updates, a cached javascript file might have caused discrepancies in the editor. Another thing that complicates figuring out what exactly is going on here is the way submitting a new post works. At least in previous versions when you hit submit, what would happen is that the post would be sent to the forum back-end to be saved into the database, but instead of reloading the page the contents of the editor window were appended to the page. The back-end performs a series of operations on the post (bad word filters and the like), which of course might lead to a situation where the post you are looking at is not the post saved in the database, unless you manually refresh the page.

I'm not seeing any trace of style information in these examples, though.

Thanks for your feedback, Exil. I've taken it to PM.

@Naganoyama, I was trying to include you in the conversation as you're posting formatted tables as well, but the PM wouldn't go through.