Sakura

Basho Talk ** Haru Basho 2017 ** (SPOILERS)

Check out the replay.  At the 3:11 mark, one can see Hakuho's foot sweep lift Ikioi's feet off the ground.  Ikioi's left foot touches down again on the top of the foot (i.e., technical drop down) first.  That's how I see what happened.  Perhaps others see things differently.  Clearly, the shimpan saw something else...

Having both feet off the ground does not mean a loss. After all, a rikishi can jump up so that both feet are in the air. The only question is, was Hakuho shin-itai. That is, of course, a matter of opinion. In my humble opinion, Hakuho was not shini-tai and Ikioi touched down first. Hakuho won the match.

• Like 1

Shinitai is such a gray area that even after following this sport for 10 years or so I can't be confident I understand how it's applied. Is there anyone who can read the Japanese sports press who might relay to us what, if anything, they're saying about this call?

Edited by Kuroyama

In my opinion Hakuho deserved at least a torinaoshi..

On another note, Aminishiki is in the juryo yusho lead and at 38 threatening for his first ever yusho. Go Aminishiki! Oh, and it's great to see Terunofuji looking strong again. Still a ways to go, but already looking much better than he has for the last year or so.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

Someone knows what’s wrong with Myogiryu?

He seems to be so far away from his best.

News flash- Fujishima Oyakata says that the late monoii was called because Hakuhou asked to have the bout reviewed in the video room. No more, no less. Hakuhou asked for a video revision. "His body was flying before Ikioi's elbow touched down," said Fujishima, who was seen to have called the monoii extremely late. Fujishima has a popular blog in which is carried daily by Sanspo, a very big sports news outlet. Interesting-never saw this kind of stuff go so public so quickly before..

EDIT--OK, my bad- the video room judge asked to have it reviewed, not Hakuhou.

*Smacks head*.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, d_golem said:

I'm from Perth too! Well, I was, spent 13 very happy years there before returning to Indonesia.

I left Perth 13 yrs ago now living in Broome

Edited by BroomeSumo

3 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

Hakuho won the match.

Actually, Ikioi won the match, because that is what was decided. Whether or not that was the correct call is the question.

• Like 3

Day 4 Thoughts:

-Hokutofuji looks like his calf is effecting him, not getting enough power when he pushes off, still impressive win by Takarafuji to take him to 4-0.

-Loved the Takayasu and Mitakeumi matchup, my favorite of the day, looked very strategic good sumo from both rikishi (from my new and untrained eye :-))

-Harumafuji got the job done, but looks really off.

-Kise looks so sound right now.

-Another great match was Geek and Kakuryu. Geek looks fierce and determined to get back his Ozeki. 7 more wins to go.-

-Confused by the Hakuho Ikioi ruling. Thanks for the insight of those experienced sumo fans on here. Sounds like it's still a split opinion on the decision.

8 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Check out the replay.  At the 3:11 mark, one can see Hakuho's foot sweep lift Ikioi's feet off the ground.  Ikioi's left foot touches down again on the top of the foot (i.e., technical drop down) first.  

That's why this whole "dead body" thing doesn't make sense to me. You're saying that just because Ikioi got a toe to touch the ground he isn't "dead"?? He was just as helpless as Hakuho was at that time, if not in a worse position than Hak because of the foot sweep.

I'll add my vote to the poll and say it should have been a do-over.

Monoii's decision was that Ikio's hand hit first the ground but at that point Hakuho's body was in shinitai position. I felt his left foot's dorsal had hit the ground before any of Ikioi's hand hit the ground

• Like 1

Here is a next level conspiracy theory:

Takayasu was holding back all this time to let Kisenosato become Yokozuna before he himself would become Ozeki. Out of respect so he would not tie in rank with him and would be his junior. Takayasu and Kisenosato both felt that his promotion to Yokozuna was coming so Takayasu began to work hard to get to sanyaku and get good number of wins to immidiately begin his Ozeki run. That is why Takayasu suddenly seems to damn strong, because he always was.

True story.

1 hour ago, Jyuunomori said:

Here is a next level conspiracy theory:

Takayasu was holding back all this time to let Kisenosato become Yokozuna before he himself would become Ozeki. Out of respect so he would not tie in rank with him and would be his junior. Takayasu and Kisenosato both felt that his promotion to Yokozuna was coming so Takayasu began to work hard to get to sanyaku and get good number of wins to immidiately begin his Ozeki run. That is why Takayasu suddenly seems to damn strong, because he always was.

True story.

Takayasu has as much fighting spirit as anyone in makuuchi. I'm not sure the man could hold back if his life depended on it.

I always liked Takayasu. From what I have seen he is well balanced and healthy. No conspiracy is needed to make him Ozeki, he is doing well enough on his own considerable power.

• Like 1

Certainly a wild basho so far. Hakuho is out, Kise maintaining the momentum he's carrying from last basho, Terunofuji of all people is fighting like the ozeki that he was before injury, and Takayasu making a strong case for ozeki. Goeido looks like he's headed for another kadoban, and Geek just dropped a stinging second loss before the first week is over. 

I just happened to see some bouts of Takagenji - and whao, I liked what I see. I'm just becoming a fan!

First, he's got a great Sumo body, optimal height, heavy at the right places but not too heavy.

Straightforward oshi, lots of power, good balance. Lacks a bit of cleverness and loses where he shouldn't. Still, 5 Kashi-koshi in a row in upper Makushita.

BUT (as opposed to other "young" prospects) he is really young. Before his 20th birthday and probably he will be Sekitori after this basho. He can still learn a lot!

His twin brother Takayoshitoshi is also good but somewhat smaller and less convincing to me.

So November 1990 remains the last time four yokozuna completed a tournament...

1 minute ago, ryafuji said:

So November 1990 remains the last time four yokozuna completed a tournament...

I think it will remain so.  Even if the Mongolians hang around another year I don't seen all 3 making it through the same basho again. The pre-basho games are going to be very tough for awhile. 

I guess Kagayaki wasn't demoralized after all. It does beg the question of what he thought he was doing yesterday... Perhaps he was not entirely prepared. Ura not having a stellar basho, but it's his first in makuuchi, so. He'll improve.

So, Terunofuji! I like him, I like it when he wins, but that late shove crap needs to stop. I hope his oyakata tears him a new one, that was ridiculous.

Kisenosato doing what Kisenosato does. He has power, but he's very economical with it. Not a flashy style, but admirable. And the yorikiri here was almost gentle, like "Annnnd, there ya go, champ. Thanks for playing." lol 

Takayasu keeping it going. Really psyched for tomorrow's match. 

Not a whole lot to say today. One-sided matches aplenty, and that sort of thing can get boring.

EDIT: The Endo match had me on the edge of my seat a little, just for the, "Is he gonna get him? Is he gonna get him?"

Edited by Dwale

I'm really looking forward to Terunofuji - Takayasu. Both look pretty much unstoppable at the moment.  

Still can't believe Ichinojo lost to Endo. He totally played into his hands. 

25 minutes ago, YoungSumo said:

I'm really looking forward to Terunofuji - Takayasu. Both look pretty much unstoppable at the moment.  

Terrorfuji is looking awesome but Takayasu a little bit more I think. Hope it will be good and not end on a slip or something.

35 minutes ago, Philioyamfugi said:

Ishura and Ura tomorrow.... Defiantly a bout we want to see

This I think will be anticlimactic. I thought Ura would have a good basho since he's at home in Osaka and all but he doesn't seem to be handling the extra weight well yet. He's not as flexible at the edge as he was. 

Goeido looks awful. Worse than the obviously injured guys even though he seems to be walking okay.

Giku had a tough loss with a slip. It looks like that leg gave out and if that's true then he's going to have a rough time of it from here on out.

Edited by Rocks

8 minutes ago, YoungSumo said:

Me too. Clash of the Titans!

17 hours ago, rzombie1988 said:

- Takayasu is off to 4-0, looking good and looks serious about a possible Ozeki run in the future. He got 11 wins last time, if he can get 11 wins here, and 10 or 11 in May and he's the next Ozeki. Doesn't seem impossible.

Takayasu Could get 12 Wins here and be promoted now.

1 minute ago, PawnSums said:

Takayasu Could get 12 Wins here and be promoted now.

I believe Takayasu will be promoted only if he wins the yusho.