Sakura

Basho Talk ** Haru Basho 2017 ** (SPOILERS)

32 minutes ago, rhyen said:

Tsukiotoshi they say, opinions?

Looks like either

Teruotoshi or Tsuyoshiotoshi to me! 

Edited by kuroimori

Mitakeumi & Shodai continue their progress toward Ozeki, looking very sharp on day 3.  OTOH, 30 something Yokozunas continues to look unimpressive.  Hakuho looked really bad against someone he was 21 and 1 in their career matches.   Only the new Yokozuna Kise looks good so far.   The changing of the guard is definitely in 2nd gear.

Terunofuji will retain his Ozekiship but he will go kadoban in the next basho.   This is Goeido's turn to go Kadoban.

• Like 1

A little late for the party but an interesting statistic concerning day 2 and all four yokozuna. All four yokozuna won their respective matches, marking the first time that had happened since day 1 of Hatsu 1991, making it literally a 26 year gap. Also yesterday marked the first since day 10 of Hatsu 2007 that Hakuho was not sitting ringside for the musubi-no-ichiban after getting a kachinanori, which I believe is when he won his matches.

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1791952.html

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1791956.html

• Like 1

Methinks time and injuries have definitely caught up to Harumafuji, and are breathing down the neck of Kakuryu, Myogiryu and Tochiozan. 

• Like 1

could this be really the end for harumafuji? :'(

I think we can conclude that Kisenosato's lackluster practice record against Takayasu wasn't because of Kisenosato being in bad shape but simply because Takayasu is performing at Ozeki level. 

Next to Takayasu I'm also really impressed with Mitakeumi and Shodai this basho, the future is looking bright.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WAKATAKE said:

after getting a kachinanori, which I believe is when he won his matches.

Kachinokori. you need a winner dohyo-side to give the chikara mizu on the musubi. no ichiban to the rikishi on the dohyo. Literally- a remaining winner.

Kachinanori is when the gyoji calls out the winner's name as he points his gumbai towards him after the match.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Did the NHK guy say "Ura's win" as Ishiura won?

He definitely did-I noticed that too.

12 hours ago, Rocks said:

Heh. I thought maybe there was a Noh Theater show in town.

Noh there isn't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SumpaX said:

could this be really the end for harumafuji? :'(

Nooooooooooooo!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Makes me *almost* miss Bennyloh. B-)

?

Woo! YEAH! Some great matches today; I would be hard-pressed to pick a favorite. I daresay the basho is going hot a bit earlier than usual. 

Takayasu, I agree, is looking more and more like an ozeki. Good match, too.

Looks like Ichinojo finally learned how to handle being pushed back. That was a hole in his sumo and I'm glad to see him developing as a practitioner. He has a lot of potential, maybe it's finally time for him to fulfill it. We shall see.

Terunofuji having no trouble with the appetizers. Oh, and not with his opponents, either.

Harumafuji isn't, I think, done yet. But let's just say the finish line is coming into view. All three Mongolian yokozuna do seem to be fading. I'm expecting some pretty big shake-ups this year in sumo.

EDIT: As for Mitakeumi and Shodai, yeah. I think Mitakeumi has a slight edge on Shodai (for now), but they've both got the knack. Future ozeki? I think so.

Edited by Dwale
  • Like 1

So far, Kise seems to be proving all those in favor of him making yokozuna right. He is calm, collected, and is showing excellent balance as well. Teru is seeming really determined to keep his rank. Injuries must not be bothering him so much this basho. Geek it seemed had Takayasu beat, but couldn't finish the job. Still has 3 yokozuna, 2 ozeki, Tamawashi, and the two young and very hungry komusubi to get through. Quite an obstacle course. And of course, Aminishiki staying afloat to stay in the salaried ranks!

• Like 1

Quick thoughts:

- Nice to see Kotoshogiku looking like he actually cares for a change. If he could actually be motivated, he might not always be kadoban.

- Terunofuji is finally looking like he's near full health after a year of wasting his time. His last year was absolutely sad. He looked like a shell of his former self...and he's in early 20's. He looks like he has the best chance to win so far.

- Good to see Sokokurai getting a win. He usually does have pretty good showings and he's sneakily quite strong. I think his size is always going to limit him but I think he's a really good wrestler.

- Good stuff from Takayasu today. Hope he's starting to believe his own hype.

- Kise looked a fine. A little more inspired than usual.

- Ichinojo actually moved forward...and won. Amazing what happens when you try to win huh?

- If MItaekumi and Shodai can pick up another win, they might be able to get KK's. They are both 2-1 and Shodai has already fought 2 Yokozuna.

Edited by rzombie1988

17 hours ago, Kuroyama said:

Twitter's translation from Bing: Village place, kisenosato each time that the "presence of mind" a I remember this picture I'm sure.

Google's: Every time the rare village is called "normal heart", I will definitely remember this picture ...

There's probably a way to get them to average out to something coherent.

Heijoshin, a constant state in which the mind is unperturbed by events (essentially, I think it boils down to peace of mind). Also appears on a gunbai belonging to Kimura Zennosuke:

Zennosuke.jpg

8 hours ago, rhyen said:

Tsukiotoshi they say, opinions?

Great sumo, but it's nothing more exotic than either tsukiotoshi or shitatehineri. The announcer gyoji/kimarite oyakata evidently decided that the left hand push under Fujiazuma's armpit was the decisive action, not a twist with the right hand mawashi grip.

Terutsuyoshi_Fujiazuma_1.jpg

Terutsuyoshi_Fujiazuma_2.jpg

Looks like having February off (apart from a couple of one-day events) has been good for Terunofuji. Previously the amount of bandages on his knees fluctuated almost on a daily basis, it was as though he had no confidence or knowledge about how much pressure he could put on them without risking further (re-)injury. So far this basho he's only had the small rolls below each knee, and the results are coming. Maybe he's finally turned the corner.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, d_golem said:

???? What are they sewing the pieces together for???

It's on their feet, a crack/peel opens up and there is a thick layer of hard skin that they develop, callus layer, so they sew through the dead skin to pull the split back together like stitches.

2 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

So far, Kise seems to be proving all those in favor of him making yokozuna right. He is calm, collected, and is showing excellent balance as well. Teru is seeming really determined to keep his rank. Injuries must not be bothering him so much this basho. Geek it seemed had Takayasu beat, but couldn't finish the job. Still has 3 yokozuna, 2 ozeki, Tamawashi, and the two young and very hungry komusubi to get through. Quite an obstacle course. And of course, Aminishiki staying afloat to stay in the salaried ranks!

Yeah Kise is really looking calm, maybe all this time as Ozeki and beating himself up about never winning just all released and he can calm down and focus now. Terunofuji seems much healthier, maybe his injury is really better, he is picking people up again, we will see after 15 days.

Oh, and congrats to Sokokurai on his kinboshi. I was so worked up I forgot all about it!

3 minutes ago, 808morgan said:

Yeah Kise is really looking calm, maybe all this time as Ozeki and beating himself up about never winning just all released and he can calm down and focus now. Terunofuji seems much healthier, maybe his injury is really better, he is picking people up again, we will see after 15 days.

I thought Kise looked calm last time too, so I think the turning point came before Hatsu. Maybe that most-wins-for-the-year accolade made him suddenly realise he was the best remaining Y/O, I don't know, but the yusho certainly hasn't harmed his composure, nor has the promotion. He knows he's got nothing more to prove now, which must be beneficial, even if he is maintaining heijoshin (ty Yubinhaad). All he has to do is stay fit and healthy and just keep on doing what he's been doing for as long as he can. More yusho will come, maybe even this one.

And the way Takayasu's looking right now, I wouldn't be surprised if it came down to a play-off between them.

The Quantum Entanglement Twins, Shodai and Mitakeumi, are both looking great, even when they lose it's not for want of spirit. Shodai's got a tall order to keep up the resonance between them, though. He's got to go 12-3 to follow the bizarre pattern they have!

A kinboshi for Sokokurai, too, though I noticed the crowd was less than excited about it; it was only Harumafuji, after all. Still, I'm very pleased for him with his permanent salary boost!

• Like 3

What's with the extra shove that Hakuho gives Takekaze after he has obviously won today? Seemed a bit un-gentlemanly to me, almost like he was telling him to get back to his side of the Dohyo.

2 minutes ago, Shatsume said:

What's with the extra shove that Hakuho gives Takekaze after he has obviously won today? Seemed a bit un-gentlemanly to me, almost like he was telling him to get back to his side of the Dohyo.

He has done that a lot.