Sakura

Basho Talk ** Haru Basho 2017 ** (SPOILERS)

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Dwale said:

That's true, people have even died just from slipping and cracking their head on the floor.

Definitely. Not something to play with. Add two 300 lb guys to the equation as well.

Edited by rzombie1988

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First you fake Kotoshougiku with a intentional matta to show him you're going forward to clash with him. Then you do a filthy henka. Terunofuji should be stripped off his Ozeki rank for that sort of nonsense. Sure I get henka, but a intentional matta and henka? Screw that.

Oh yes, the reason that it was an intentional matta is because he would have stepped sideways for a henka attempt if it wasn't intentional. That's because he planned to henka in the first place. Used to like Terunofuji and tried to cheer him to victory when he was injured and thought he would have been great Yokozuna.

Now I hope Kise somehow wins against him tomorrow and does it twice.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't watched it yet, but from what I am reading here, Terunofuji did a henka. Seems like these two have their personal henka vendetta going against each other. A couple of years ago, Terunofuji henka'ed Kotoshogiku. Kotoshogiku got his revenge by henka'ing Terunofuji the year after that, and now this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, in the Takayasu v Takarafuji match, you just know having the gyoji stop the match to tie up your mawashi has got to break your concentration. That said, I think it's better than the alternative, as I really have no urge to see Takarafuji's junk.

Since he has no neck, do you think he...? Mmmm, I'm just gonna let that thought die.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Horyuyama, ex-Sekiguchi and Ms41, has just had his 3rd basho out of 29 under this shikona where he didn't finish either 4-3 or 3-4! Because of that he's been stuck in mid makushita since the Ice Age but with his 5-2 it seems the forgotten promise got a confidence boost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was surprised to see Kisenosato today. His left arm was pretty much useless, didn't stand a chance. But it's better than being out for months.

Now to the big topic of the day, Terunofuji vs. Kotoshogiku. I didn't want Kotoshogiku to make it back to ozeki, because i think his time is over. In his 32 basho as ozeki he managed only 9 dd KK and was kadoban 7 times. His body fails him more and more and there are better candidates for the job. But what Terunofuji did today was appaling. First an early start for a matta, followed by a blatant henka and it all looked sooo planned. Yes, henka is a part of the game, but you have to be a pretty darn asshole to pull a stunt like Teru today.

This man has absolutely no dignity and does not deserved the title of yokozuna. Disgusting.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooooo, the crowd was not amused with that Terunofuji henka. Kotoshogiku has always been susceptible to the henka because of the way he charges, but dang, dude. Needs to go the **** on somewhere with that ****. 

Surprised Kisenosato came back, but then again, not really. These guys pretty much have to be handcuffed to the bed to keep them from wrestling.

So! Looking forward to senshuraku, we've got a number of people at 7-7, and that tends to make for exciting matches...and maybe a little yaocho on the sly, but shhhh. lol. (No, I'm not the "yaocho police" screaming it every time a match goes a little weird, I'm sure they've mostly purged it.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Jyuunomori said:

First you fake Kotoshougiku with a intentional matta to show him you're going forward to clash with him. Then you do a filthy henka. Terunofuji should be stripped off his Ozeki rank for that sort of nonsense. Sure I get henka, but a intentional matta and henka? Screw that.

Oh yes, the reason that it was an intentional matta is because he would have stepped sideways for a henka attempt if it wasn't intentional. That's because he planned to henka in the first place. Used to like Terunofuji and tried to cheer him to victory when he was injured and thought he would have been great Yokozuna.

Now I hope Kise somehow wins against him tomorrow and does it twice.

Stripping his rank is a bit extreme, but I would love to see Kisenosato do what you said! He hasn't got a snowball's chance in Heck of actually doing it, but hey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kisenosato looked like a shell of himself, but amazed to see him. He gets the showdown with Terunofuji(boo..boo...hiss) ... Could be a classic ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When your opponent has a glaring and consistent weakness in their sumo, you exploit that to your advantage. To do any less would be dishonest. Kotoshogiku has shown time and again that he is blind when he does his tachiai, and has refused to correct this weakness for more than a few matches after he gets caught out. Regrettably, he reverted to the same tachiai when his return to ozeki was on the line. That is the nature of shōbu. Whether it is a single bout, or a rank on the line. He made a critical error, and he paid. That is sumo.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adil said:

Haven't watched it yet, but from what I am reading here, Terunofuji did a henka. Seems like these two have their personal henka vendetta going against each other. A couple of years ago, Terunofuji henka'ed Kotoshogiku. Kotoshogiku got his revenge by henka'ing Terunofuji the year after that, and now this.

Exactly. These two seem to have a personal beef with each other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is, Kotoshogiku didn't even come in particularly low in this one. But their height differential is so great that Terunofuji can probably get on top of any Giku tachiai and execute exactly what he did today, if he sets out to do it. I don't feel any huge emotional anguish over it because a) I never expected Kotoshogiku to get to 10 anyway, and b) I also didn't expect Kisenosato to remain a yusho challenger to Terunofuji following yesterday's injury, but strictly in terms of fan/entertainment value that bout was pretty much as low as anything I've seen in my 20 years of watching.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looked like Harumafuji's left ankle buckled in today's loss. But he was already backpedaling and in a poor position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really dislike henkas. The only time I see them in any way okay is for poorly skilled or injured guys. An ozeki should do them maybe once a year if that and it should be in a match the fans don't care much about. The Teru-Giku match doesn't fit that, just the opposite. Considering Kise's injury and people not really expecting much from him the Teru-Giku match was the only one with any real drama in it yesterday and Teru completely threw it in the garbage. Just terrible. Even worse considering he was gifted the yusho after Kise went down. A splendid time to show his worth was completely wasted by Teru. And yes it was completely planned . He spent the entire time sitting waiting for his match with his eyes flittering around like the kid hoping no one notices he ate the cookies. It will be a long time before root for Terunofuji again and I zero interest in watching him get a yusho today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kisenosato fans can cheers that he will be Y1e at the May Basho. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Rocks said:

 And yes it was completely planned . He spent the entire time sitting waiting for his match with his eyes flittering around like the kid hoping no one notices he ate the cookies. 

I noticed that, too. His body language was shady AF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I though it was a pretty cool henka, well executed. Kotoshogiku took off like a space rocket, and may still not have landed. And I don't mind henkas as much as others here. It is a legit way of outsmarting your opponent.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Asashosakari that Kotoshogiku was not particularly low in the initial charge. What he was was blind. Again. As he usually is. Head down, eyes down. No chance to react to anything, only to meet a head-on charge. He has an very fast, very strong charge, but doing it blind is not good sumo. He had a great run, and deserves recognition for that. His recent yet inevitable decline announces it is time for a changing of the guard. There may be something personal between these two rikishi. But the result is not a fluke. Sayonara Ozeki. お疲れ様でした。

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Rocks said:

I really dislike henkas. The only time I see them in any way okay is for poorly skilled or injured guys. An ozeki should do them maybe once a year if that and it should be in a match the fans don't care much about. The Teru-Giku match doesn't fit that, just the opposite. Considering Kise's injury and people not really expecting much from him the Teru-Giku match was the only one with any real drama in it yesterday and Teru completely threw it in the garbage. Just terrible. Even worse considering he was gifted the yusho after Kise went down. A splendid time to show his worth was completely wasted by Teru. And yes it was completely planned . He spent the entire time sitting waiting for his match with his eyes flittering around like the kid hoping no one notices he ate the cookies. It will be a long time before root for Terunofuji again and I zero interest in watching him get a yusho today.

How was Terunofuji "gifted" the yusho?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

I agree with Asashosakari that Kotoshogiku was not particularly low in the initial charge. What he was was blind. Again. As he usually is. Head down, eyes down. No chance to react to anything, only to meet a head-on charge.

I was trying to imply that his head being down really doesn't make a difference here. There's no way to defend against this type of premeditated henka from a much taller opponent except with a completely defensive Kyokushuzan-style standup tachiai. Blaming the loser for not being reactive or alert enough somewhat misses the point - Terunofuji could IMHO do that successfully against almost everybody if they don't specifically prepare for it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CT3* said:

How was Terunofuji "gifted" the yusho?

Gifted in the sense his only competition is no longer much competition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Henka is part of the game, this move was clever by Terunofuji.

I hope he wil be able to grab his second yusho tomorrow, but we must be careful as long as Kisenosato is not kyujo, he is still in contention.

At worst, Terunofuji will get a 13-2D, which would mean the beginning of a yokozuna run, if he wins the yusho in May. This could lead to as historic yokozuna run as 5 yokozuna is a thing that never occurred in sumo (if I remember well)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now