Sakura

Basho Talk ** Haru Basho 2017 ** (SPOILERS)

10 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

I think Hokutofuji may have a concussion

that's what I thought, he might kyujo. it would be like Mitakeumi's first MK.

1 hour ago, Arn said:

What knocked out Hokutofji? Slaps or collision?

From what I could see, the only contact came during the initial charge: Takanoiwa wound up and slapped Hokutofuji right in the face. Hokutofuji fought valiantly thereafter, but there is no way that he stayed on his feet while allegedly unconscious.  "Dazed" is more like it. But the poor guy looked like the victim in a horror movie afterwards, with blood all over his face and chest.  The yobidashi in his corner passed him his (i.e., Hokutofuji's) facecloth to wipe off the blood, but by all appearances, Hokutofuji left his face smeared with blood to wear as a badge of honor as he walked down the hanamichi out of the stadium.

56 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

Yoshikaze leads with his face and catches a forehead or crown in an eye socket in a good proportion of his bouts. Remember his win over Harumafuji a couple of basho back? He already had stitches in an eye cut, but he still lead with his face so Haru could stick nut right on the bandage! He's a nutter - literally.

Am I right in thinking that if no one else drops out Kise and Teru will meet on senshuraku? That could be the decisive bout of the basho - if Takayasu hasn't already clinched it.

Yes. Day 15 should be: S1e Tamawashi v S1w Takayasu; O1w Terunofuji v Y2w Kisenosato; Y2e Harumafuji v Y1w Kakuryu. This will, of course, change if someone (Harumafuji) drops out.

What did they put in the power water this morning? Again a lot of really long and fine bouts.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Benihana said:

What did they put in the power water this morning? Again a lot of really long and fine bouts.

I don't know about them, but personally I like Kool-Aid.

• Like 1

And we're back up!

I can't stand a day without the forum (Laughing...)

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 11

I missed you all sooo much *HUG*

Yesterday long bouts, today short bouts, henkas and monoii. It never gets boring :-D

The Taganoura twins still undefeated and tied for the lead and we have kinboshi no. 5!  Will Yoshikaze spoil Kise's zensho run with kinboshi no. 6?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Benihana said:

I missed you all sooo much *HUG*

I couldn't agree more. Thank you to all maintainers and contributors of the forum!

Takanoiwa vs Takayasu's henka-one-henka-two skit is the most hilarious thing I've ever seen. And I've seen Shohozan face palm Goeidou out of the ring. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Benihana said:

The Taganoura twins still undefeated and tied for the lead and we have kinboshi no. 5!  Will Yoshikaze spoil Kise's zensho run with kinboshi no. 6?

It's not impossible, but rather unlikely. http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query_bout.aspx?show_form=0&shikona1=Kisenosato&shikona2=Yoshikaze

Welcome back Sumoforum!
I thought I saw a glimpse of the improved Ichinoyo today...
Takayasu's bout was a hoot. WHAT Henka? I'll henka you! *slap down* There! 
Kise is the man.

Yeah...forum back. Ossunarashi tied for lead in juro. Gagamaru holding his own at 5-5 they fight each other tomorrow. 

• Like 1

I'm beginning to wonder if Terunofuji was sandbagging a bit last basho. You know, taking it easy so as not to disrupt his recovery, knowing he had a basho in hand to go kadoban, because he is seemingly right back to his old form. I know anyone can play spoiler, but Teru's looking like the only serious barrier to a Kise zensho. He could even force a play-off, win it and be tsunatori for May!

Today was National Henka Day in Japan apparently! I know it's a sore point with some, but I thought there was a decent mix of successful and unsuccessful sidestepping, which kind of balanced out. Henka highlights for me were Mitakeumi trying the HNH on for size, which I loved (and so did he from the look on his face), and Takanoiwa coming properly unstuck with it against ozeki-to-be Takayasu, which I also loved.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one obsessively checking to see if the forums were back.

Always glad when my main man Osunaarashi is doing well. I'm hoping he'll get well into double-digits, but then, I always hope that.

Chiyoshoma's already thin enough, he doesn't need to get pancaked like that too much or he'll go two-dimensional. 

I do worry about Terunofuji being the spoiler. Kisenosato knows what he's doing in there, of course, but sheesh, what a monster. Still hoping Kisenosato will take the yusho and a perfect record would be SO freaking sweet. We'll see. But I like Takayasu, too, so I wouldn't be upset if it ends up being him instead. The pressure's on and I'm feeling more tense with each passing day. It's a fun ride, though!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

I thought I saw a glimpse of the improved Ichinoyo today...

Consensus on stream chat is that Ichinojo is highly effective when he has no back pain, and a pushover when he does.

Nishonoseki Oyakata is saying that if Takayasu gets the yusho, an immediate Ozeki promotion is "possible".

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 7

How weird would it be to go 4 Ozeki -> 2 Ozeki -> 4 Ozeki in consecutive basho?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Nishonoseki Oyakata is saying that if Takayasu gets the yusho, an immediate Ozeki promotion is "possible".

I believe a 15-0 Y /15-0 D or 14-1 Y will lead to Ozeki promotion. 13-2 Y or 14-1 D probably not. 

2 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Henka highlights for me were Mitakeumi trying the HNH on for size, which I loved (and so did he from the look on his face),

I wonder if any of that was signaling Harumafuji for day 11.

I hate straight out henkas but sometimes it's hard to call it. Was Tochiozan's really a henka?  He basically pushes Daishomaru straight down.

10 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Well, if it works... (Go to 3:00.)

When he gets back to Juryo he should get a kensho mawashi with a frog on it.

And I was meaning to post these earlier, but the downtime got in the way - three Day 8 makushita bouts with interesting endings, including an unlikely combination of a Mongolian rikishi and a leg technique... (Linked, not embedded, to keep the thread from getting too bloated.)

Tenkaiho - Gochozan: https://youtu.be/OHGTPk7nBkA?t=105

Jokoryu - Irodori: https://youtu.be/Ssjs12rnoIg?t=120

Kiribayama - Akua: https://youtu.be/01G2c0ol8OU?t=100

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Just think. If Takayasu gets promoted and Giku gets his 10 we would have 12 sanyaku. If they all stay healthy for entire the May basho the sanyaku would not face anyone lower than M2 and that would be only 4 bouts, except for those who share a heya like Kise and Takayasu. Cutting down on the kinboshi chances.