Pandaazuma

Games Talk Haru 2017

47 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Fun with numbers: I've clicked on an estimated 40,000 bout links in the Toto entry form over the years.

that makes 20,000 for us two as average...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

By the way, I wonder how many people know you can click the bout number.

I didn't. Thanks! Although I usually just have sumo reference open in the next tab.

3 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Objection: I guess most would care if only they knew.

(Onlinetoolong...) Mmmmh... yes.

I think most agree that you can't get too caught up in the H2Hs alone but still I only ever NOT click the ST bout number when desperate, depressed, disillusioned and I guess in the mood for experimentation following a number of bad losing days in a row.

I did it this Basho on day 6 after losing badly three days in a row, and go figure I end up with the best score of the day... Now I probably ended up looking at a few H2H after all where I was just too curious but far from every bout and jumping in more "naked" felt like it was nice refresher at that (low) point.

1 hour ago, PawnSums said:

but why would he need another account?

Yes, why would he need three accounts...

15 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Yes, why would he need three accounts...

what?

now it gets even more mysterious.

Edited by PawnSums

5 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

a) There used to be a free for all NSK live video feed.

b) The head-to-head records at the Sekitori Toto entry page have always been there, thanks to the late Kofuji.

5 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

The glory days of 320x240 resolution. Or was it 240x180? 

4 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

More like 120x120 in my mind. (Laughing...)

4 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Actually you're right. :-O I probably have even older stuff on backup discs somewhere, but the oldest clip I have on my current HDD is from 2010.03, and it's 160x120. Later 2010 stuff is in 320x240 - IIRC the upgrade happened when they had to stream more stuff to replace the cancelled NHK broadcast of 2010.07 (post-gambling scandal). 2011.05 and onward after the yaocho scandal was in 640x360.

When was the old chat's heyday? And what was the resolution back then?

That must have been years before 2010 but I think I'm mixing the years up right now in my head and whatever it was that I was I was doing at the exact time. I just remember early very dark mornings, getting up, entering the chat and first in, sometimes before the Juryo action if luck would have it that the feed had started early would always be Kashunowaka, you (Asashosakari) though I think sometimes I would beat you to it so to speak and then sporadically people would come in and out the coming hours, including the original Sumoforum owner/founder occasionally. But you and Kashunowaka are who I mostly associate with this time.

And yes there were all kinds of stream quality issues (the worst was having to restart the stream and then despite hammering away somehow not be able to get in during the final bouts where the feed was often falling apart anyways) and sleep sacrifices to be made that I could never tolerate now (for sumo at least) I don't think, but I remember the chats on the sumo itself and of course the sumo games that I was just getting into (there's my clue to what year this was!) quite fondly. Good times!

Edited by Taka
  • Like 1

Looks like Kamogawa has won Chain Gang with his 3rd default pick in a row. What a pity.

Ganzohnesushi

4 hours ago, Ganzohnesushi said:

Looks like Kamogawa has won Chain Gang with his 3rd default pick in a row. What a pity.

Ganzohnesushi

Wow, kind weird he stop showing up as had been doing well in a few. 

Hana-ichi had a heck of a night in TOTO. Ich gratuliere dir!

7 hours ago, Ganzohnesushi said:

Ganzohnesushi

What was I telling? Kamogawa's default pick Okinoumi lost today, thus Terarno wins the Yusho via TB as all three remaining players picked losers today.

Toutes mes félicitations, Terarno!

Ganzohnesushi

2 minutes ago, Ganzohnesushi said:

What was I telling? Kamogawa's default pick Okinoumi lost today, thus Terarno wins the Yusho via TB as all three remaining players picked losers today.

Ganzohnesushi

What he said!

1 hour ago, Ganzohnesushi said:

Félicitations Terarno :-)

21 hours ago, Taka said:

When was the old chat's heyday? And what was the resolution back then?

Hmm, that was...2004-2007ish, I guess? Pretty sure the video resolution was the same 160x120 back then...except for maybe a small bitrate increase the NSK streaming really didn't change at all between 2010 and the time I started watching in 2002 (and it had already existed for a few years at that point, probably also without changes).

Actually, now that I think about it, they might even have decreased the bitrate at one point in order to accommodate more users. (Laughing...)

Edited by Asashosakari

I've been around for 11-12 years, and remember how awful it was to be watching a stuttering stream of a match, then get kicked off the stream and not be able to get back in because there were too many people!

9 minutes ago, Fukurou said:

I've been around for 11-12 years, and remember how awful it was to be watching a stuttering stream of a match, then get kicked off the stream and not be able to get back in because there were too many people!

I remember those days (well, nights for me) very well. If you signed on more than 15 minutes after the makuuchi division matches had started you often couldn't get in at all, especially on senshuraku. And just the one camera, no replays and bad resolution....

It seems a lot of people have wronged this guy, at least in his own mind.

Is that one of Rufa's aliases? Poor guy. Posting stuff like that is not very effective, is it? It's just one step more public than airing your grievances in a closet in your bedroom.

I need to find out what the record for most make-koshi in sumo games without even one kachi-koshi in a single basho is.

Whatever it is, I'm on my way to break it this basho.

• Like 1

Congrats to @Gaijingai for a great Seki-Quad yusho! (Bow...)

And Rufi is coming off as quite pitiable at this point.

I may only be in Makushita for Bench Sumo, but I love looking at all the daily results in that game. I'm always interested in the banzuke making for that game, particularly at the top. Is there a webpage detailing the promotion rules to Ozeki and Yokozuna for that game? And since it's relevant, what happens to a Yokozuna with a losing record?

Unfortunately there are currently no rules published. Regarding the demotion from Yokozuna I guess currently a player is "forced" to Intai after 3 MK in a row. Randomitsuki was the last Yokozuna who unfortunately had three consecutive MK. Rando-san declared his Intai all by himself and re-entered the Game at Ms10 (as per invitation by the Richijo).

Ganzohnesushi

Edited by Ganzohnesushi