Akinomaki

Natsu jungyo 2017 goatalk

Akinomaki    13,519

On Aug. 16th the jungyo is in Itayanagi town - on the Tsugaru apple market. Local member of the prefectural assembly Saito is president of the organization committee. He would like to have an OB bout there: local ex-Takamisakari (Furiwake) vs. ex-Hayateumi (himself). http://www.toonippo.co.jp/news_too/nto2017/20170215022500.asp

Jungyo man Sendagawa (Touki) with the mayor and Saito

0215c.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Asashosakari    8,122
Posted (edited)

http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20170416-OHT1T50243.html
http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20170417/sum17041705030003-n3.html
http://www.fujitv.co.jp/sumo/

The summer tour will see a special two-day event as jungyo comes to the Odaiba waterfront area in Tokyo for the first time. In what's a rarely seen sponsorship arrangement, the August 23/24 event is promoted by major company Fuji TV to commemorate the 20-year anniversary of the company HQ moving into a landmark building in Odaiba.

To be held outdoors in a temporary tent structure, the doubleheader event will reportedly accommodate a massive 2x 4500 visitors. Besides all the usual jungyo works, as part of promoting this as a "Showa-style" event Fuji TV intends to bring back something that apparently hasn't been seen at jungyo in some 20-odd years (seriously?!) - live chanko cooking. It used to be a staple on the tours, but according to Sanspo it was discontinued due to fire code and hygiene considerations, and replaced by more standard food vending (and lunch provision for the rikishi).

Naturally, Kisenosato is front and (not quite) center in the promotional stuff:

20170416-OHT1I50165-L.jpg

The ticket pre-sale lottery will open for two weeks this Sunday, the general sale (if anything's left...) will take place from early June.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 8

Gurowake    1,322

Harumafuji is holding his sword upside compared to how everyone usually holds it.  I don't think I've ever seen it being held concave down before.

Sakura    156

I was confused by the Statue of Liberty until I found out that there is replica there.

Gurowake    1,322
1 hour ago, Sakura said:

I was confused by the Statue of Liberty until I found out that there is replica there.

I was slightly confused too, but I remembered from National Treasure that there's at least one replica in France (although that makes more sense), so I decided to look how many more there were.  Plenty: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replicas_of_the_Statue_of_Liberty

Rocks    486
20 hours ago, Gurowake said:

Harumafuji is holding his sword upside compared to how everyone usually holds it.  I don't think I've ever seen it being held concave down before.

Is this like a Paul barefoot on the cover of Abbey Road thing? Is Kakuryu or Kisenosato the walrus?

• Like 1

RabidJohn    221
On 18/04/2017 at 03:12, Gurowake said:

He's holding it like a katana, which is just wrong!

A tachi is traditionally worn hanging from a belt, blade down, which is why there are hangers on the scabbard, and when they are displayed on stands it's always blade down.

The more modern katana is traditionally worn blade up with the scabbard stuffed through a sash, which is why there are never hangers on a katana scabbard. Similarly katana are always displayed blade up.

On that basis, I don't know why Harumafuji would hold it wrongly, unless there's some symbological meaning I'm unaware of. Also I don't know why either Haru or Kak would hold the scabbard in their right hand (unless they are known to be left-handed), so I was wondering if the images had been reversed, or were they asked to pose thus for the composition of the poster?

• Like 1

Kuroyama    456
11 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

He's holding it like a katana, which is just wrong!

A tachi is traditionally worn hanging from a belt, blade down, which is why there are hangers on the scabbard, and when they are displayed on stands it's always blade down.

The more modern katana is traditionally worn blade up with the scabbard stuffed through a sash, which is why there are never hangers on a katana scabbard. Similarly katana are always displayed blade up.

On that basis, I don't know why Harumafuji would hold it wrongly, unless there's some symbological meaning I'm unaware of. Also I don't know why either Haru or Kak would hold the scabbard in their right hand (unless they are known to be left-handed), so I was wondering if the images had been reversed, or were they asked to pose thus for the composition of the poster?

In fact, I'm not sure there's any real difference between a katana and a tachi except how you wear it. I guess a tachi is usually longer, but it doesn't have to be. You'd have to take the tsuka off to see the other noticeable difference: which side of the tang has the smith's signature on it. It should always face outwards when the sword is worn, so it's on opposite sides for a tachi and katana.

We should be able to tell whether any images were reversed from the characters on their kesho-mawashi, but I can't make them out at this resolution.

Asashosakari    8,122
2 hours ago, Kuroyama said:

We should be able to tell whether any images were reversed from the characters on their kesho-mawashi, but I can't make them out at this resolution.

Aren't the zigzag stripes always orientated the same way? (At least nowadays.) That would indicate no mirroring has happened here.

Yubinhaad    6,193
On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 03:12, Gurowake said:

22 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Also I don't know why either Haru or Kak would hold the scabbard in their right hand (unless they are known to be left-handed), so I was wondering if the images had been reversed, or were they asked to pose thus for the composition of the poster?

I'm pretty sure the images used on jungyo posters are stock images provided by the Kyokai, and I don't think there's any reversing or other manipulation involved. Certainly the Kisenosato picture is, it was on the cover of the Haru basho pamphlet. Harumafuji is in the same kesho-mawashi and holding his tachi the same way in his Kyokai profile picture, so this jungyo one is probably another from that shoot. Hakuho has the same kesho-mawashi but is holding the tachi in his left hand on his profile, so there's evidently no formal rules about which hand or how that is held.

The organising team likely communicate with the Kyokai during the planning and choose which pictures they want from the Kyokai library depending on how the poster is to be laid out.

• Like 2

RabidJohn    221
13 hours ago, Kuroyama said:

In fact, I'm not sure there's any real difference between a katana and a tachi except how you wear it. I guess a tachi is usually longer, but it doesn't have to be. You'd have to take the tsuka off to see the other noticeable difference: which side of the tang has the smith's signature on it. It should always face outwards when the sword is worn, so it's on opposite sides for a tachi and katana.

I admit I had to look this up only recently when I saw the 'New tachi for...' thread, because I'd always thought the yokozuna's sword was a katana (though I should have realised, because the yokozuna's senior attendant is not called a katana-mochi).

Yes, there's next to no visual difference except the way the sword is supposed to be held/worn, but there is actually a far more significant difference between a katana and a tachi. The katana is not only usually shorter, but it's also quite a bit lighter for any given length of blade (i.e. smaller cross section). Apparently the development of the tachi into the katana arose from a need for speed when the one-lethal-strike style came in; having the blade up in the scabbard means the draw can be the start of a strike, and having a lighter, shorter blade means you can move it a lot faster.

Getting off topic now... soz.

Akinomaki    13,519

On Aug. 15th a basho in Aomori-city, after 11 years again. Ex-Wakanosato from Hirosaki (Aomori) is responsible for this event and visited the governor for PR. http://www.toonippo.co.jp/news_too/nto2017/20170429024724.asp

0429k.jpg

Aug. 26th the Tokorozawa-basho (Saitama), after 43 years again. (suddenly aged) Jungyo no.2 Tamanoi (from next door Tokyo) and Edagawa-oyakata visited the town hall for PR. http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASK4X4WBFK4XUTNB01B.html

AS20170428004897_comm.jpg

• Like 1

Yubinhaad    6,193

The full schedule for this jungyo has been released, and the rikishi will be on the road for a while again. 21 locations with two of them hosting two-day events. At least there are six non-event days liberally sprinkled throughout the tour.

Second year in a row that an event has been held on a university campus (last year the Higashi-Matsuyama event took place in a gymnasium on the Daito Bunka campus, if I recall correctly). This time Aoyama Gakuin's Memorial Hall will play host.

July 30th - Gifu, Gifu prefecture
July 31st - Kusatsu, Shiga
August 1st - Toyota, Aichi
August 2nd - Toyama, Toyama
August 3rd - Shibata, Niigata
August 5th - Sado, Niigata
August 6th - Nagaoka, Niigata
August 7th - Honjo, Saitama
August 8th - Aoyama Gakuin (Shibuya), Tokyo
August 10th - Hitachi, Ibaraki
August 11th - Kaminoyama, Yamagata
August 12th/13th - Sendai, Miyagi
August 15th - Aomori, Aomori
August 16th - Itayanagi, Aomori
August 18th - Eniwa, Hokkaido
August 19th - Sapporo, Hokkaido
August 20th - Asahikawa, Hokkaido
August 23rd/24th - Odaiba, Tokyo
August 25th - Odawara, Kanagawa
August 26th - Tokorozawa, Saitama
August 27th - KITTE Basho, Tokyo

And the artistic version:

Jungyo01_Schedule.jpg

• Like 3

orandashoho    326

...No rest for the wicked, Taka will keep them travelling. The time between basho days and jungyo gets shorter and shorter.

Rocks    486
52 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

August 15th - Aomori, Aomori
August 16th - Itayanagi, Aomori
August 18th - Eniwa, Hokkaido
August 19th - Sapporo, Hokkaido
August 20th - Asahikawa, Hokkaido

Nice time to be in Aomori and Hokkaido. 

Kintamayama    16,881

Kisenosato, Harumafuji, Kakuryuu, Terunofuji, Endou- out of the Jungyo. More not to come, but these are official.

• Like 2

Kintamayama    16,881
On 26.7.2017 at 08:55, Kintamayama said:

Kisenosato, Harumafuji, Kakuryuu, Terunofuji, Endou- out of the Jungyo. More not to come, but these are official.

Harumafuji- left elbow elbow inflammation, can't flex the elbow. May join the jungyo later. OTOH, there is a possibility of surgery, in which case he will miss Aki basho.

Terunofuji- currently hospitalized with the knee injury, surgery did not succeed. Will miss the whole jungyo. Aki Basho-5th kadoban- hoping to enter.

• Like 1

Akinomaki    13,519
Posted (edited)

The jungyo has started. Hakuho was back from Mongolia in time, he had there some massage etc. to get back in shape, but: "My body didn't obey me, the jungyo has started before I could get rid of the fatigue." - he didn't take part in morning practice today.

And jungyo no.2 Tamanoi "heard" that Kisenosato will join the jungyo later - (instead of taking the whole year off as prescribed by all concerned.) http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20170730/sum17073018070001-n1.html

Injured Ura took part, not in real keiko, but with the kids - to the delight of the fans. http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2017/07/30/kiji/20170730s00005000213000c.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 1

Akinomaki    13,519

First Gifu overview

lower div. keiko

DF8SeNvVoAARH00.jpg:thumbo

Hakuho did the dohyo-iri as the sole yokozuna in the jungyo

20170730-OYT1I50020-N.jpgo

and a bout with Goeido

spo1707300015-n1.jpgo 20170730-OYT1I50021-N.jpgo 96958A9E81818A99E2E2E0E6EA8DE1E2E2E5E0E2E3E5E2E2E2E2E2E2-DSXMZO1943487030072017I00001-PN1-2.jpgo

he returned from Mongolia only yesterday

20170729-OHT1I50141-N.jpgo

Kintamayama    16,881
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

And jungyo no.2 Tamanoi "heard" that Kisenosato will join the jungyo later - (instead of taking the whole year off as prescribed by all concerned.) http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20170730/sum17073018070001-n1.html

Tagonoura seems to be pressuring Kisenosato to enter the jungyo mid-way. Or maybe he in turn is being pressured by the Kyokai rijis, who are in turn being pressured by the jungyo sponsors, who more than  anything and regardless of anything, want to see Kisenosato around. "He has to be training while watching his condition. It's better that he heal himself at the jungyo than stay 'over there'.  He'll be able to train with the sekitori, you see??" said Tagonoura. There is also a dohyo-iri planned on August 14th at Kamai-shi. "If he can, he should do that as well," added Tagonoura. "I heard that he will be joining at some point- the same goes for Harumafuji. There's nothing we can do about the injuries, but I think we would like them to get well quickly and show their healthy selves to the fans as soon as possible, " said Tamanoi, deputy head of the jungyo.

This greatly pisses me off. I know, i know, that's the way it goes etc., but it still greatly grates me.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 6

Bumpkin    192

So the Natsu basho is in May but the Natsu jungyo is in August. Hmmn...

sekitori    162
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

There's nothing we can do about the injuries, but I think we would like them to get well quickly and show their healthy selves to the fans as soon as possible, " said Tamanoi, deputy head of the jungyo.

I disagree that nothing can be done about injuries. The primary thing that can be done about them is to let them heal properly. Having injured rikishis continue to train with severe injuries will never "show their healthy selves to the fans as soon as possible". What it will do is show their currently unhealthy selves to the fans and delay or even reverse the healing process. 

Kintamayama has said many wise things over the years. But the one I agree with most is his latest comment-- "This greatly pisses me off. I know, i know, that's the way it goes etc., but it still greatly grates me." It pisses me off as well.

These people seem to believe that rikishis are nothing more than a means to satisfy their own needs. Listen again to Tagonoura's comment. "He (I assume he's referring to Kisenosato) has to be training while watching his condition. It's better that he heal himself at the jungyo than staying 'over there'.  He'll be able to train with the sekitori, you see??" I personally don't see. Healing himself while participating in the jungyo makes no sense whatsoever. What's needed is not strenous activity. It's rest. What good does it do to  train, especially with the sekitori, when that will only make things worse? If he wants a rikishi to watch his condition when doing this, the result will be watching it go downhill. 

The comments of those in charge are so ignorant that they're almost laughable. Except it's very hard to laugh when an athlete's career could be jeopardized when people around him won't allow him to become as healthy as possible. :-(

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kintamayama    16,881
Posted (edited)

And now another major kanban rikishi is out of the jungyo. Ura.  "It's a right knee ligament injury. He can hardly walk. Seems like he needs to rest for a month. There is no use in him doing anything unnecessary. The Tokyo basho is around the corner so his first priority is getting healthy for that, " explained Tamanoi deputy jungyo chairman. "I can't show healthy sumo.  It doesn't look good when the fans keep coming up to me and asking if I'm OK, " added Ura himself.  After facing 2 Ozeki and 2 Yokozuna last basho, he got his first injury- a knee injury. "I guess my body wasn't fully ready for this level of sumo and the burden was too heavy. I will now gambarize and do my best to build my body so that i can compete at this level and do well next basho," he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2