rhyen

72nd Yokozuna Kisenosato preparation thread

How long will does it take for the new Yokozuna (even for one as popular as Kisenosato) to get his first set of kesho mawashi for him and his attendants?

2 hours ago, rhyen said:

How long will does it take for the new Yokozuna (even for one as popular as Kisenosato) to get his first set of kesho mawashi for him and his attendants?

Longer if no-one believed he'd make it after the basho.

Each hint of a new set will surely be all over the news - I expect he'll have 1 set ready for the basho. Like the yusho congratulation banner had been lying around for more than a year, complete plans to order his set must have been simply waiting to get handed to the maker.

Edited by Akinomaki

Kisenosato is the mago-deshi (deshi of the deshi/disciple of) the dohyo devil (oni) Wakanohana I - and used his oni kesho-mawashi set for the dohyo-iri. Nikkan showed a calligraphy of Waka I, that fits perfectly for Kise. He liked to write that combination, but it's hard to read for a foreigner and even more difficult to understand the meaning behind without further explanation.

Waka-I liked the older form of ki (which is my favorite kanji by the way) - it's the left part, but with an elongated "tail" - and on the right we have hara belly, but fallen down.

P2017022305578_dohyouooni_miu-ogp_0.jpg

This stands for 2 phrases, part of a set of some more:

• ki wa nagaku - with long ki, which means patiently working for the long term goal
  • hara wa tatezu - belly not rising - not getting upset by or angry about things and people

The first shisho of Kise, Takanosato formed him in this same way.

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/column/sumo/news/1783191.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4

Now, don't get me wrong. I've 'liked' your post because I like informative stuff, but in my woefully inexperienced case "hard to read for a foreigner" comes across as a massive understatement. Try substituting "hard" with "almost impossible"!

I can make out the hara kanji rotated 90º anti-clockwise, but only because you said it was "fallen down". The ki bit therefore has to be the remainder, but it took me ages to match the elements to the printed version in your post text. It's a totally different shape!

I'd always assumed Japanese calligraphy was on a par with English copperplate or German Sütterlin script, designed to minimise the personal idiosyncrasies that appear in more casual handwriting, an art form that takes years of practice to master. On the above evidence rikishi are more like British doctors when it comes to handwriting: the more illegible the better!

Edited by RabidJohn

Let me be the (I think) first to predict that Yokozuna Kisenosato will win the Haru Basho.

I kept silent all last basho, as not to jinx it, and it finally paid off.

I wont get into scores (just yet)

• Like 1

Kisenosato is a  Yokozuna!

16 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

I'd always assumed Japanese calligraphy was on a par with English copperplate or German Sütterlin script, designed to minimise the personal idiosyncrasies that appear in more casual handwriting, an art form that takes years of practice to master. On the above evidence rikishi are more like British doctors when it comes to handwriting: the more illegible the better!

So much tongue in cheek, have fun deciphering these without reading the post.

On 29.1.2017 at 15:00, Akinomaki said:

I always wondered about where Kise's real home was, Takeshi's 7days had some info:

He was born in Ashiya-city, Hyogo, and since the age of 2 lived in Ryugasaki, Ibaraki. In 2nd year middle school his parents moved to neighboring Ushiku, but he continued to go the same middle school in Ryugasaki. After graduation there he entered ozumo.

Ryugasaki has a substantial claim to declare the new yokozuna a son of their city. I wonder if Ashiya will begin to claim him as well some day.

The other 2 cities gave him the citizens honor award, and they both compete to claim him their son - but Ashiya is simply his birthplace and in Japan can't really claim him as a citizen, so they gave him the Ashiya mayor's special award. The mayor lived on the same floor in the same apartment house - but that was destroyed by the great Hanshin-Awaji quake. Kise has no recollections of the time there, but feels he has "the image of a celebrity." The city plans to hoist yokozuna promotion congratulation banners at the city hall, the station and 3 other places. http://www.kobe-np.co.jp/news/sports/201703/0009967501.shtml

the award from the mayor

a_09967502.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Wonder how earth shattering this will be. His first yokozuna kit will feature the titular 3 brothers from the "Fist of the North Star" manga series.

• Like 1

The 2nd tsuna of Kise is 8kg, up 25% from the 6.4kg of the first, which was the 2nd lightest among the ropes of the last 10 new yokozuna, after the 6.2kg of Kakuryu's. The last 10 had an average weight of 161kg at promotion and their 1st tsuna one of on average 11.5kg. http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20170427-OHT1T50030.html

Shiranui style usually has a heavier tsuna though, they only should use the last 10 unryu ones for comparison.

But Hakuho's new one is also 8kg. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1814210.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3

Kisenosato not only has a manga kesho mawashi set, he now also gets a manga about himself, working title: "Kisenosato monogatari." To get published after the basho on the manga-app manga-hot and for 3 months in the monthly Comic-Zenon. http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASK585398K58UTQP01F.html

AS20170509004346_comm.jpg

AS20170509004303_comm.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki

8 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Kisenosato not only has a manga kesho mawashi set, he now also gets a manga about himself, working title: "Kisenosato monogatari." To get published after the basho on the manga-app manga-hot and for 3 months in the monthly Comic-Zenon. http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASK585398K58UTQP01F.html

AS20170509004303_comm.jpg

This illustration would be a good study for future Buddhist statues and carvings, especially those guarding the temple doors.  (Mickey...) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rhyen said:

This illustration would be a good study for future Buddhist statues and carvings, especially those guarding the temple doors.  (Mickey...) 

Yeah especially as those temple guardians are called Kongo Rikishi ;-)

22 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Kisenosato not only has a manga kesho mawashi set, he now also gets a manga about himself, working title: "Kisenosato monogatari."

the final design http://natalie.mu/comic/news/232246

news_xlarge_kisrnosato003.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

news_xlarge_kisrnosato003.jpg

I see the manga artist has spotted Kisenosato's Vulcan salute, but he's given him a Romulan forehead!

• Like 3

Very cool, but doesn't look too much like him.

9 hours ago, Rocks said:

Very cool, but doesn't look too much like him.

Captured the spirit though. Mind you, mangas are the Japanese's way to "enhance" themselves, same like Western comic books to westerners.

On 11.5.2017 at 15:47, Akinomaki said:

Kisenosato not only has a manga kesho mawashi set, he now also gets a manga about himself, working title: "Kisenosato monogatari." To get published after the basho on the manga-app manga-hot and for 3 months in the monthly Comic-Zenon.

Start today, but shown only for the next edition on June 24th http://www.comic-zenon.jp/magazine/

"The Raou of the sumo world" - so his features are like in the manga Hokuto-no-ken

ZN080_Jigouyokoku.jpg

• Like 1

(Whateverabove,itisfunny...)(Whateverabove,itisfunny...)(Whateverabove,itisfunny...)

Kisenosato with a 6 pack...did they accidentally send the mangaka Chiyonofuji's photograph instead?

Looks more like Homarenishiki to me (Laughing...)

Edited by Katooshu

On 25.5.2017 at 08:53, Akinomaki said:
On 11.5.2017 at 15:47, Akinomaki said:

Kisenosato not only has a manga kesho mawashi set, he now also gets a manga about himself, working title: "Kisenosato monogatari." To get published after the basho on the manga-app manga-hot and for 3 months in the monthly Comic-Zenon.

Start today, but shown only for the next edition on June 24th http://www.comic-zenon.jp/magazine/

The new edition - several pics are here: http://www.comic-zenon.jp/blog/?p=10206

DDA8bm_UMAEmelG.jpg:large

the app isn't updated yet to show part 2 = episode 1 - the monthly free version of the last edition of Zenon was just made available in the Kindle store, it contains the prologue - different from that in the MangaHot app

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1