Asashosakari

Persistence Watch - 2017 edition

robnplunder    154

IMO, some of them are so young (e.g., 16 years old) that I wonder if they are in sumo b/c they were pushed into and not b/c they want to.   Hattorizakura by all accounts really love to do it.  Unfortunately, his desire vs talent is ocean wide.  

robnplunder    154
On 7/29/2017 at 00:08, Asashosakari said:

Miura did not manage to convert his first two KK shots and so found himself at 3-3 after twelve days, but thankfully the scheduling came to his rescue again in the end, as his final bout turned out to be against Hokutosato and his own history as a former 14-basho persister. It's one of the less impressive 4-3's ever in here, but congrats to our lucky graduate all the same!

This post made me look at a Miura's match video.   At just 16 YO, he looked strong albeit skinny.  I'd assume he may still get taller, and wider.   I will follow his career along to see how a 16 YO progresses.  

Asashosakari    8,528

The schedule isn't officially out yet, but it looks like Day 6 will get us the next Sawanofuji-Hattorizakura matchup.

• Like 1

Asashosakari    8,528

...and Sawanofuji ended up winning that one again. And he's even 2-2 now after picking up a fusensho today. The nakabi standings:

Shikona Heya Debut MK Current Rank Highest Rank Record Win% Last Basho This Basho
Hattorizakura Shikihide Aki 2015 12 Jonokuchi 28 East Jonokuchi 18 1-79-1 0.013 0-7 0-4
Wada Azumazeki Haru 2016 8 Jonokuchi 11 West Jonidan 101 23-37 0.383 2-5 3-1
Sawanofuji Isegahama Haru 2016 8 Jonokuchi 18 West Jonidan 110 11-50 0.180 2-5 2-2
Satsumao Shikihide Nagoya 2016 6 Jonokuchi 9 West Jonidan 109 12-34 0.261 3-4 2-2
Satoiazuma Tamanoi Kyushu 2014 5 Banzuke-gai Jonidan 100 13-24-7 0.351 Bg Bg
Noborifuji Isegahama Kyushu 2016 4 Jonokuchi 14 West Jonidan 109 9-23 0.281 2-5 1-3
Tatsunofuji Isegahama Kyushu 2016 4 Jonokuchi 18 East Jonidan 108 9-23 0.281 2-5 2-2

Didn't save Sawanofuji from reaching the 50-loss milestone though. Pretty good results overall, with Wada's 3-1 leading the way, although that one was fusen-assisted as well. His first KK opportunity went begging today, but even among persisters it's rare to squander a 3-0 so he's still on a good path to graduation this basho. I'm hopeful for at least two kachikoshi here. Hattorizakura unfortunately has his customary winless record again and is set to stay with us.

The "hiring basho" for ozumo as a whole is Haru, of course, but our recruiting drive traditionally takes place in Aki basho. 12 kids who debuted in March have started their careers off with back-to-back MK. 3 of them are kyujo so we still have 9 applicants in the running. Nobody safe yet, but also nobody definitely recruited so far.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

Yatagarasu    26
On 8/1/2017 at 07:30, robnplunder said:

IMO, some of them are so young (e.g., 16 years old) that I wonder if they are in sumo b/c they were pushed into and not b/c they want to. 

I do wonder the same.  Recent examples like Ura and Onosho, you worry less because they had been doing it at school and pretty much since they could walk (the footage of Onosho is incredible - even so young you see his real desire to win).  With kids that are thrown into it suddenly at age 15/16 I'm not so sure.  I saw a documentary a while back where they followed two teenage boys with no wrestling history entering large heyas (I forget which, but one was Kokonoe and the other was a real factory - never seen so many kids). 

I got the impression that one of the kids had been pressured into it by his mother, who I think deep down considered the heya like a sort of bootcamp to instil some discipline or desire to succeed into her son and make him realise what a good ride he was getting at home.  He had zero fighting spirit and would practically recoil at tachiai.  It was just tragic.  

It's a interesting watch though and really drums home how important mental fortitude is in the sport, particularly when clawing their way out of the lower divisions.  It also features one of the least sympathetic 'pep talks' I've ever heard courtesy of His Excellency, Chiyonofuji (around 12m30s): https://youtu.be/H0jDtTRTYac?t=12m30s  

Asashosakari    8,528

Some more summarizing after Day 12, but I just wanted to highlight that Wada did it on Day 10 (and in a very impressive bout, too):

Congrats to our graduate!

Asashosakari    8,528

Quick update to Day 12:

Hattorizakura 0-6, naturally. Sawanofuji's gone from 2-2 to 2-4, which doesn't come as a big surprise either, given that the two wins were just a fusensho plus his customary victory over Hattorizakura. Wada stands at 4-2, having lost his next bout following the KK clincher shown above.

And there is further good news from the other half of the membership. Noborifuji has rallied from 1-3 with two wins, and both Satsumao and Tatsunofuji have also maintained their even pace towards 3-3. If I'm "reading" the hoshitori correctly, we're even guaranteed a 4-3 here as Satsumao and Noborifuji ought to be matched up for Day 14. (Low jonokuchi doesn't always have straight-forward scheduling though.) Tatsunofuji is already going for his 4th win in a couple of hours on Day 13, facing Chiyotaiko, one of the potential new persistence members for Kyushu.

Akinomaki    13,854

Hattorizakura will do his best to follow on the heels of his rival Sawanofuji and aim for a fusensho as his 2nd career win - and  most fitting against Sawanofuji.

Yubinhaad    6,269
12 minutes ago, Gooner said:

This has been bottering me for a while now.

Sawanofuji's record in 2017.03 is 1-7. Did he fight 8 times or is this a mistake?

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi_basho.aspx?r=12289&b=201703

It's correct, sometimes a rikishi will get an extra eighth bout to make up the numbers in the last two days. This basho it was Sekizukayama on Day 14.

Gurowake    1,393

I noticed Higohikari got a fusensho for his 8th match last basho: http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi_basho.aspx?r=2905&b=201707.  If it weren't for the comparative useless of wins for rikishi ranked so low, that would seem somewhat unfair, but I imagine it could also happen for a Makushita rikishi needing to even out the sekitori numbers.  In that case I wonder if they would even consider it when making the next banzuke.

Asashosakari    8,528
40 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

(...) but I imagine it could also happen for a Makushita rikishi needing to even out the sekitori numbers.  In that case I wonder if they would even consider it when making the next banzuke.

One of the few rare-trivia things I actually have memorized: Tamamitsukuni Kyushu 2005. His juryo opponent Yotsukasa went intai, but not early enough to leave him off the Day 15 schedule altogether.

It looks like they gave him full credit for the win, he dropped only 17.5 ranks on that 1-7.

(I imagine the bout would have also ended up as a nice trivia bit if it had actually taken place: 0-14 vs 0-7.)

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Thanks 1