Sign in to follow this  
Kaikitsune Makoto

Sumo site worth the advertisement!

Maybe Chirac knows this site too already but haven't seen this advertised anywhere yet and this site is very good source for Kyokai hierarchy info! Original Rijicho initially compiled oyakata gallery but Tamanaogijima offered to take over and has since updated the gallery significantly and added a lot of stuff in a great format so this is a must for every sumofan.

http://www.seisa.de/oya_index.html

General kabu info

Updated income levels in Kyokai

List of all oyakata

Oyakata galleries: current and former

Inactive kabu.

Changes in kabu!

Added the link to "Essential sumo links"-thread in Pond too.

Wow, thanks! :-P

I haven't announced it yet, that's right. The little perfectionist inside me didn't want me to announce it until it was... well, perfect!

Despite the PHP works, I don't like it too much, because it isn't "beautiful" yet. The mathematicial in me wants to simplifiy it as much as possible. The URL isn't great either, but in some days it should be oyakata.seisa.de, hopefully. (The German sumoforum and the mailing list will have to wait until that at least.)

But I'm happy that you like it already.

Next project will be a kabu-timeline to look up fast how the kabu changed hands (and purses (Laughing...))

Nice site!

By the way, this seems to fit in here.

The earliest rijicho I know was Dewanoumi, the former Yokozuna Tsunenohana.

I wonder who was it earlier because there are no infos available of rijichos before.

Or were there no real rijichos because there were two sumo kyokais?

So maybe someone here knows an answer.

Edited by Araiwa

Now it's official...

The Oyakata Gallery has moved to oyakata.seisa.de

The other link still works, but leads just to yet another link ;-)

Updated: The "kabu babu" around Miyagino-kabu.

Also Updated: Some photos.

Without the help of Gernobono, Hananotaka, Jonosuke, Kaikitsune, Kintamayama, Kotoseiya, Nekonishiki and Yubiquitoyama this project may have never been realized! Big thanks, guys!

@Araiwa: You're probably right. The Nihon Sumo Kyokai's first Rijicho was Tsunenohana. Before that the NSK didn't exist but the two Sumo Kyokai in Osaka and Toyko. Btw, could you send me the list of the Rijicho? I have seen one once, but can't find it any more.

Edited by Tamanaogijima

Now it's official...

Btw, could you send me the list of the Rijicho? I have seen one once, but can't find it any more.

Note that there were of course leaders of the sumo organization (rather, there was the Osaka and Tokyo organizations before they merged just after the start of the Showa-era 1926) even before it became the Kyokai, but the organization was different. I know Takasago Uragoro, Hitachiyama and Umegatani-2 were among the later leaders of the previous Tokyo-zumo organization, but I have no exact dates. As for rijicho, Tsunenohana was the first rijicho who was a former rikishi, but not the first rijicho. A list was provided by Takayama Kazuhisa on the English Sumo Mailing list not too long ago. I only made one change below, namely changing the japanese transcription Takayama-san used to the one we normally use on the forum. The original post can be found at

http://www.banzuke.com/04-2/msg00531.html

1) Hirose Masanori (army lieutenant general): 1928.01-1938.09
Edited by Yubiquitoyama

This just occured to me (well, some month ago, but *now* I'm back from vacation...). Shikoroyama-oyakata (ex-Terao) and his big bro Ozutsu-oyakata (ex-Sakahoko, right?) are both heya-mochi oyakata, ie. they own their own heya/stables. Has this ever happened before? And while we're at it, could someone name other oyakata brothers, heya-mochi or not, in the vast history of Ozumo?

Now it's official...

2) Fujishima Hidemitsu (former Tsunenohana)

Isn't the seisa.de site where UDH is held?

Correct. This is another one of Tamanaogijima's personalities. He certainly has more in store.

;-)

I was wondering if anyone knows the circumstances of Dewanoumi Hidemitsu's attempted suicide.
Edited by Asashosakari

The year 1957 was the only on in sumo history in which there were five hon-basho (official tournaments). For 1957 the Kyushu basho had gained official sanction and toward the end of the year the Nagoya basho gained sanction as an official tournament also' date=' although there had been a full 15 day tourney in 1957 and probably previous years also. This expansion in the number of official tournaments was not to everyone's liking and Dewanoumi Rijicho had attempted suicide during the year in protest to the inclusion of the Kyushu basho and other issues.[/quote']

I suspect the "other issues" played a bigger role than just this disagreement, though.

An article on the suicide attempt from 1957.

http://www.juryo.com/newspaper/1950/19570505.htm

You will find some of the events leading to this in early 1957.

http://www.juryo.com/newspaper/1950/1957.htm

Wanchanyama's article collection ( (Clapping wildly...) ) covers it of course, but for the short answer, this is what Clyde Newton wrote:

... Dewanoumi would probably have continued to hold the post of Rijicho for the rest of his life had it not been for a dramatic sequence of events in the spring of 1957. An opposition party representative brought up the question of alledged improprieties in Sumo in the Diet, and several of Dewanoumi's old rivals or enemies in the Sumo Kyokai testified. Dewanoumi's administration was chastised for it's autocratic policies and changes in the time-honored regulations and customs of the Sumo Kyokai were demanded. The aging Dewanoumi found the demands for change unacceptable and his predicament unbearable. He attempted to commit ritual Seppuku in his office at the Kokugikan, but fortunately he was discovered in time and rushed to hospital. He resigned from his post as Rijicho on May, 1957, to be replaced by Tokitsukaze (Futabayama). Dewanoumi recovered fully from his suicide attempt and he was given the post of Sodanyaku (advisor) in the Sumo Kyokai.
Edited by Yubiquitoyama