Sakura

Basho Talk - Hatsu Basho 2017 ** (SPOILERS)

17 minutes ago, Asojima said:

Don't credit Ura. Blame Toyohibiki.  His standard tactic is to push his opponent to the edge, and then stand back about 1 1/2 feet and push with arms only.  He allows his dead victim to recover and then grind him into the dirt.:-S

Yes, great recovery by Ura but it never should have happened. 

1 hour ago, Rocks said:

Yes, great recovery by Ura but it never should have happened. 

And Ura is currently reading this forum, thinking "Geez these people are hard to please" (Laughing...)

Kakuryu had it coming already in his bout with Shohozan, but he got lucky that time. But Mitakeumi made sure to be aggressive to the end. Kakuryu pulled again, which has been his downfall every so often. It will be interesting to see if this will affect his sumo. 

On the other hand I wouldn't be so quick as to predict 11 or 12 wins for Mitakeumi already. Noone in the joi is a walkover. 

Shodai's tachiai was still not that good but Kotoshogiku is far from his prime this basho. It pains me to say it but the poor guy seems to be at the end of his career and is probably gonna go makekoshi this basho unless he gets some freebies from fellow Ozekis.

It's gonna be an uphill battle for Ishiura, let's see if he can pull through. Likewise for Terunofuji. 

On 9.1.2017 at 22:39, Benihana said:

Who's gonna stop him, when the 3 Yoks are intai? Some random doofus? ^^

A healthy yokozuna terunofuji :D maybe even a healthy ozeki Osunaarashi... man there so many great new guys climbing the ladder right now its hard to say what the future will look like. 

Edited by SumpaX

9 hours ago, ALAKTORN said:

Wow, Hakuhō fighting on the belt like in good old days. I say he takes the yūshō.

Yes I also am pretty sure hakuho takes it... there is a small chance for kise but... yea he is ozeki for a reason (as if that is bad thing ;'D)

5 hours ago, dingo said:

Kakuryu had it coming already in his bout with Shohozan, but he got lucky that time. But Mitakeumi made sure to be aggressive to the end. Kakuryu pulled again, which has been his downfall every so often.

I like Kakuryu, but it seems to take him a second after tachiai to settle down and do his yokozuna sumo. Anyone getting in his face before that and not letting up throws him - he tries to back pedal and usually loses.

The sound of the tachi ai impact between Gagamaru and Chiyotairyu was impressive! Crack!!

13 minutes ago, rhyen said:

Is Asahisho the next veteran to drop into Makushita?

Hope not.  He is the current designated salt chucker.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Asojima said:

Hope not.  He is the current designated salt chucker.

Yeah, but he's slipped on it twice in a row now.

• Like 1

Match of the day was Mitakeumi vs Kisenosato.   Although Kise won, Mitakeumi showed that he is for real.   I can see him beating Kise in future bashos.  

• Like 2

Bad-wig man was in the front row again today. Myogiryu almost landed on him

• Like 2

2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Match of the day was Mitakeumi vs Kisenosato.   Although Kise won, Mitakeumi showed that he is for real.   I can see him beating Kise in future bashos.  

2 years ago, when I ended my 20 year hiatus from watching sumo, I couldn't stand Kisenosato.

Now, I am LEGIT cheering for him to get the yusho. How time changes things and people.

• Like 3

The Geek and Teronofuji both look to be in serious trouble, more so the Geek because he is Kadoban

Hokutofuji is becoming a serious contender for the next Ozeki slot, if Ura doesn't work wonders and Yusho's Juryo and then go 10+ wins in his first Makuuchi Basho that is.

Hokutofuji, Shodai, Mitakeumi are the big three. Then Ura, Oyanagi, Ishibashi and other young folk that are rapidly rising in the lower divisions.

Ikegawa seems to have recuperated well and is back on track with 2-0 record.

Tamaki has 2-1 record.

Kizaki has 2-0 record.

Hatooka is 2-1 record.

Kiribayama the Mongol has 2-0 record.

Asahiryu the Mongol also has 2-0 record.

Hattorizakura the Legend has put in a tremendous effort and is currently 0-3. Keeping the streak alive like a boss.

Yeah, Mitakeumi made a good showing. I like him a lot and want him to do well, but I've liked Kisenosato for way longer, so... But it was an excellent match. Kinda understated, more a smolder than an explosion. Confident, patient sumo from Kisenosato, but Mitakeumi definitely giving him a run for his money.

I can't believe Osunaarashi gave up a win to the Pillsbury mascot. -.- Come on, man. >.<

7 minutes ago, Dwale said:

I can't believe Osunaarashi gave up a win to the Pillsbury mascot. -.- Come on, man. >.<

*Looked up 'Pillsbury'*

Ahh...

• Like 1

We're going to see a lot of retirements among the Yokozuna and Ozeki in the next 2 years most likely. Terunofuji is the only one under 30 after all. 

The race for Yokozuna between the likes of Shodai, Mitakeumi and Hokutofuji will be great to watch. Anything could happen and I'm personally very hyped for this.

• Like 2

kise countdown: 5 down,10 to go....... but great effort from mitakeumi and i want to correct kinta (thx btw for all the hard work, and i like your radio :) ), hes the next ozeki :D

and a sad thing, just wanted to check uras bout on sumofiles, only to find out that yt deleted that account! :(

Wigomir.jpg

Lots of Geishas and Kimonos in the Kokugikan today, only Takamisakari picked the wrong disguise.

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Wigomir.jpg

Lots of Geishas and Kimonos in the Kokugikan today, only Takamisakari picked the wrong disguise.

I noticed that one. But at least I reckon it is all his own hair