Akinomaki

New recruits for Haru 2017

Better late than...

Breaking chronology for a moment here, a small round-up of the data changes that came out of the second presentation:

• The shikona for Tochikōdai and Yūkiumi were confirmed as previously given.
  • Kaitōma was also confirmed as 魁當真 (the press coverage used the wrong 'to' kanji), and it's indeed with a long vowel after all.
  • Masuyama's shusshin was "corrected" from Brazil to Aichi.
  • Skinny ??-minato's shikona turns out to be Komaminato 高麗湊 こまみなと, while Yubinhaad was correct about hefty ??-minato who is named Satominato 郷湊 さとみなと.
  • One Tatsunami-beya recruit (Taranami) already had a proper shikona from the get-go, but two others also received them in time for the presentation: Yamaga is now officially Toki 朱鷺 とき, and Arakaki went through the given-name-as-shikona machine and is now Minami 海波 みなみ.

Edit: The various ?? and stuff in older posts have been fixed based on the above information, except the two Tatsunami shikona were left as is in the results posts because I'd like them to correspond to the video content.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2

Day 9 / Group B:

Komaminato absent again.

Results:

Mz51  Arakaki (1-3)           Mz20  Kotourasaki (0-4)
Mz33  Kaishin (2-3)           Mz8   Hayasaka (1-4)
Mz35  Sekizukayama (1-4)      Mz19  Kototsukahara (2-2)
Mz36  Tagomaru (2-3)          Mz38  Kotohonma (1-1-2)
Mz49  Yamaga (1-3)            Mz42  Wakaseiun (2-2)
Mz50  Taranami (2-1-1)        Mz40  Matsuoka (0-4)

Mz35  Sekizukayama (2-4)      Mz8   Hayasaka (1-5)
Mz49  Yamaga (1-4)            Mz38  Kotohonma (2-1-2)

One last repeat match (from Day 7) courtesy of Sekizukayama and Kototsukahara, again won by the Sadogatake representative. Kotohonma took advantage of the day's extra bouts and achieved full qualification despite missing the first couple of days and picking up a loss.

Final standings:

2-win target achieved:
#02  Mz2   Kaiho          Tomozuna     2-0
#04  Mz32  Tanaka         Tagonoura    2-0
#06  Mz12  Tanabe         Kise         2-0
#08  Mz14  Fujikawa       Oguruma      2-0
#10  Mz22  Yamato         Dewanoumi    2-0
#12  Mz44  Enho           Miyagino     2-0
#15  Mz3   Hokuto         Isegahama    2-2
#17  Mz7   Asakura        Tokitsukaze  2-1
#19  Mz48  Kamito         Tatsunami    2-1
---
#21  Mz10  Bando          Izutsu       2-2
#23  Mz17  Kotosato       Sadogatake   2-1
#25  Mz34  Wakasatake     Tagonoura    2-2
#27  Mz45  Nakano         Miyagino     2-1
#29  Mz46  Shimabukuro    Miyagino     2-1
#30  Mz53  Satominato     Minato       2-1
#32  Mz33  Kaishin        Tagonoura    2-3
#34  Mz19  Kototsukahara  Sadogatake   2-2
#36  Mz36  Tagomaru       Tagonoura    2-3
#38  Mz42  Wakaseiun      Chiganoura   2-2
#40  Mz50  Taranami       Tatsunami    2-1-1
#42  Mz35  Sekizukayama   Tagonoura    2-4
#44  Mz38  Kotohonma      Sadogatake   2-1-2

Remaining order:
#46  Mz8   Hayasaka       Tokitsukaze  1-5
#48  Mz49  Yamaga         Tatsunami    1-4   changed to Toki
#50  Mz51  Arakaki        Tatsunami    1-3   changed to Minami
#52  Mz52  Komaminato     Minato       1-0-3
#54  Mz20  Kotourasaki    Sadogatake   0-4
#56  Mz40  Matsuoka       Azumazeki    0-4

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 7

And last not least, the niban shusse, going some way towards answering the question "How many rikishi can you fit on a dohyo" - at least 35. Wakainoue and Komaminato, who had missed most of their respective groups' competition, were also absent from the presentation.

• Like 3

On February 21, 2017 at 06:37, Akinomaki said:

A press conference was held at the heya today. http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASK2P54B0K2PUTQP00K.html

"The heya I always longed for. I was approached last summer and wanted to enter since then. Now I could do it at last."

with both shisho

AS20170221004480_comm.jpg

with the real shisho

20170221s00005000154000p_thum.jpgo

ab8a1ba36a663f2bbb00b526b3fbf00a.jpg

with the 2 direct ani-deshi - Hakuho has a high success rate of getting his uchi-deshi to makuuchi (so far 100%)20170221-OHT1I50072-L.jpg

The shisho: "I will retire in 3 years. Till then I want him to get to makuuchi and have him in the dohyo-iri:-)" (he'd also have to surpass the other 2 for that - Yamaguchi likely will make it back)  http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20170221-OHT1T50110.html

Nakamura: "The yokozuna is the world's strongest person. I think following him can't go wrong. First of all to sekitori." Hakuho: "I did reach sekitori in close to 3 years, I want him to do it in 1.5 to 2 years, best before he has an oicho topknot." http://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/sports/sumou/654444/

Hakuho emphasizes his wish to become oyakata, but no word of an exception for him if he won't become Japanese

Just a thought.  Hakuho is stonewalling over the requirement for him to take on Japanese citizenship in order to become a shisho.  (His national pride is visible with the Genghis Khan portrait hanging on the wall.  Begs the question, is Miyagino Stable his to decorate or does Chikubayama have executive control?)  That strategy may work out in the end, but for now he can only train with and pass on valuable experience to young Japanese deshi.  If he were to take Japanese citizenship, Miyagino Stable could then take in a Mongolian deshi, and Hakuho could help secure Mongolian domination of sumo even more.  Perhaps the Japanese should be happy...

Edited by Amamaniac
extra thought

11 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

If he were to take Japanese citizenship, Miyagino Stable could then take in a Mongolian deshi

Actually, they couldn't. That loophole has been closed. Once a gaijin, always a gaijin in the eyes of the Kyokai...

I think Hakuho is going to push it and try to stay on in sumo as a non-citizen after he retires. The association would be hard pressed not to give him the free kabu as dai-yokozuna but I'll think they will hold fast and require him to get citizenship. 

6 hours ago, ryafuji said:

Actually, they couldn't. That loophole has been closed. Once a gaijin, always a gaijin in the eyes of the Kyokai...

When was that "loophole" closed?  I thought the whole reason various Mongolian rikishi have taken Japanese citizenship was to free up a space in their stable for another foreigner...  

4 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

When was that "loophole" closed?  I thought the whole reason various Mongolian rikishi have taken Japanese citizenship was to free up a space in their stable for another foreigner...  

It is to free up the rikishi to become an oyakata upon retirement.

12 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

In 2010, largely thanks to Tatsunami-beya making it a little too obvious. (Though they weren't the only ones doing it.)

Edit - thread from back then, click subject line to go there:

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

In 2010, largely thanks to Tatsunami-beya making it a little too obvious. (Though they weren't the only ones doing it.)

Edit - thread from back then, click subject line to go there:

That sure explains why none of the 56-listed new recruits in this tournament were born outside Japan, let alone in Mongolia.  With the loophole closed, there probably aren't that many free spots, especially since certain stables don't seem to be interested in taking in foreigners...  Thanks, Asashosakari, for going the extra yard in documenting the JSA decision.  I had totally missed that ruling while I was still living in Tokyo.  I would have thought it would have been bigger news in the press, but then I wasn't reading the papers all that closely...   I should have started following Sumo Forum years ago.  Sigh. ;-)

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 23:42, Yubinhaad said:

On another note, it looks like we have three younger brothers of current rikishi in this shindeshi class. A blog says Yusei is the younger brother of Yuma, and I'm guessing the same is true of Sekizukayama/Sekizuka and Bando/Ichinoryu.

So we've already lost Yusei to retirement, but it looks like I missed another brother - Tokitsukaze-beya's Hayasaka is likely the younger brother of Hamayutaka.

Finally, here's a glimpse of new yobidashi Daiki in action during his first basho. He hasn't quite gotten the hang of the sonkyo position yet, so Setsuo gives him a helping hand.

Spoiler

Daiki01.jpg

Daiki02.jpg

Daiki03.jpg

Daiki04.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/24/2017 at 03:00, Rocks said:

I think Hakuho is going to push it and try to stay on in sumo as a non-citizen after he retires. The association would be hard pressed not to give him the free kabu as dai-yokozuna but I'll think they will hold fast and require him to get citizenship. 

He is a dai-yokozuna for sure but now that Kisenosato is a yokozuna and has a kabu, I think the pressure will instead come back on Hakuho if he wants to stay. Based on discussions and articles I had seen recently, it sounded like he was banking on Takanohana becoming chairman and possibly changing the requirements. But obviously the NSK isn't ready to move in that direction since Hakkaku maintained the position. It seems to be a tricky thing with Mongolians versus other foreigners, I heard Kyokutenho was criticized and called a traitor by people in Mongolia when he became a Japanese citizen. 

• Like 3

Is it my imagination, or did I read somewhere that the fact that naturalized foreigners are even allowed to become oyakata is something of a loophole in how the relevant regulations were drafted, and that if they could, they'd not allow naturalized foreigners at all as oyakata?

1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

Is it my imagination, or did I read somewhere that the fact that naturalized foreigners are even allowed to become oyakata is something of a loophole in how the relevant regulations were drafted, and that if they could, they'd not allow naturalized foreigners at all as oyakata?

Yes. 

13 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

Yes. 

Yes it's your imagination, or yes you read it somewhere? Takamiyama was an oyakata for 25 years without any controversy as far as I'm aware.

15 hours ago, Gurowake said:

the fact that naturalized foreigners are even allowed to become oyakata is something of a loophole in how the relevant regulations were drafted, and that if they could, they'd not allow naturalized foreigners at all as oyakata?

Yes, to the above question.

The April edition of BBM's monthly Sumo has detailed info about the 56 shin-deshi, including their food and TV preferences etc. They also asked about the goals of the new recruits (and the rikishi they aim to become like): only 19 named yokozuna, esp.Turbold, 14 simply "as high as I can get", like Wakatakakage.

Juryo was named e.g. by Fujikawa and Wakainoue, sanyaku by Enho and Murata, ozeki by Kotoimagawa and Kotonagahama.

http://www.news-postseven.com/archives/20170420_511828.html

Enho     炎鵬     Nakamura Yuya     Miyagino     169     95     18 - October - 1994     Ishikawa
Fujikawa     藤川     Fujikawa Ibuki     Oguruma     172     126     08 - August - 2001     Saga
Kotoimagawa     琴今川     Imagawa Kyosuke     Sadogatake     173     78     13 - December - 2001     Osaka
Kotonagahama     琴長濱     Nagahama Taiga     Sadogatake     181     109     21 - April - 2001     Hyogo
Murata     村田     Murata Ryo     Takasago     181     160     08 - August - 1994     Mie
Turbold     トゥルボルド     Turbold Baasansuren     Nishikido     187     182     25 - April - 1994     Mongolia
Wakainoue     若井上     Inoue Naoki     Nishonoseki     169     95     05 - September- 2001     Fukuoka
Wakatakakage     若隆景     Onami Atsushi     Arashio     180     115     06 - December - 1994     Fukushima

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

On 3/4/2017 at 10:03, Akinomaki said:

Onami III starts at first as Wakatakakage (looks better in kanji: 若隆景) - the Waka from grandpa's Wakabayama, the rest from the name of the 3rd of the 3 sons of Mori Motonari (to whom he showed that 3 arrows won't break easily if bundled), Kobayakawa Takakage.  Arashio-oyakata gave him the shikona. http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20170304/sum17030419180009-n1.html

Has there even been three brothers in the same stable?

21 minutes ago, kawika said:

Has there even been three brothers in the same stable?

There are the Omura brothers in Sadogatake, all still active too.
Kotoomura
Kotodairyu
Kototora

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kawika said:

never heard of Kakureizan, thanks!

Old sumo world issues used to have his results. Otherwise I would not have known who he was.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kishinoyama said:
7 hours ago, kawika said:

never heard of Kakureizan, thanks!

Old sumo world issues used to have his results. Otherwise I would not have known who he was.

Probably featured in the "Behind The Curtain" column. :-P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3