Akinomaki

New recruits for Haru 2017

17 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

From the sumo clubs of Kanazawa gakuin university 2 and from the attached high school 1 will enter ozumo: 4th year students Yuya Nakamura for Miyagino-beya, Masataka Tanabe for Kise-beya, high school 3rd year Seigo Saito for Shikoroyama-beya.

Nakamura (167cm, 95kg) will be the 3rd uchi-deshi for Hakuho (this time we have the next Ishiura). He came for a visit to Miyagino-beya before the hatsu-basho and Hakuho encouraged him to enter there.

He won the light weight division at the sumo world championships in his 2nd and 3rd year, but has no best 8 records in the tournaments that matter and has to start from maezumo.

http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20170209-OHT1T50039.html

at least he has shown that he can compete with the big ones

17 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

90th West Japan Student Sumo Championships (2016-6-5)

Individual Competition:

1st: Nakamura Yuya (中村 友哉), Kanazawa Gakuin University

41st National College Sumo Class-by-Class Championships (2016-9-18)

Open Weight Competition

3rd Place: Nakamura Yuya (中村 友哉, Kanazawa Gakuin University)

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

On 7.2.2017 at 12:16, Akinomaki said:
On 3.2.2017 at 11:52, Akinomaki said:

Amateur yokozuna Yago (22, 186cm, 170kg, Hokkaido, Memuro shusshin) enters Oguruma-beya

Heya connection: since his 2nd year he is a friend of Chudai sempai (ex-student yokozuna) Takekaze.

Today was the press conference at Chuo university: Takekaze, Yago, Oguruma-oyakata

sum17020805020002-m1.jpgo sum17020719300004-m1.jpgodly1702070024-g1.jpgo 20170207s00005000226000p_thum.jpgo d82b63b5f1dd9de61e8b64f25e099bc4.jpgo 4.jpgo bat-307yago-ty170208-w200_0.jpgo  0170207at58_t.jpgo

Yago about Onokuni, who is from the same town: "I want to do my best to surpass him." His start into sumo was a yusho at the local Onokuni-cup in early primary school. He's the next hope for a sekitori from Hokkaido, which at the moment (and that after a long blank) is only Kyokutaisei - Hakkaku will be pleased.

He wants to do sumo like same ichimon Kisenosato. And he had said he aims for a direct jump to sekitori - so he definitely will only start when he's in top form.

Finally end of last month he decided to go to Oguruma, after having been approached by about 3-5 heya.

http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20170207-OHT1T50203.html

Takekaze had commented: "I want us to spend our youth together."

with the club

20170207-OHT1I50129-L.jpg

20170207s00005000388000p_thum.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Yago started training at Oguruma-heya yesterday. His debut basho is still undecided. The oyakata: "The lower body. I want to decide about the time to start after I talked things over with him." http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20170213-OHT1T50017.html

looks like the advice from Takekaze wasn't uplifting

20170213-OHT1I50009-L.jpg

• Like 4

A new yobidashi will step on the dohyo in Osaka - 18-year-old Hokkaido native Daiki (大輝) joined Isenoumi-beya as of February 1st. He is shown in this picture waiting his turn as Hiroshi practises his taiko drumming in the shitaku-beya.

Daiki_Hiroshi.jpg

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 12:29, Akinomaki said:

sum17020805020002-m1.jpgYago about Onokuni, who is from the same town: "I want to do my best to surpass him."

How you surpass a yokozuna? Become a dai-yokozuna? That is ambitious.

He's kind of got a Takarafuji look going on. 

Do yobidashi earn a salary from the start, or do they have to work their way up to the sekitori ranks like the rikishi?

Edited by Katooshu

2 hours ago, ryafuji said:

How you surpass a yokozuna? Become a dai-yokozuna? That is ambitious.

To surpass a particular yokozuna you only need to win one more yusho than him: just 2 for Onokuni

First Yago has to surpass the curse on college rikishi to get to yokozuna in the first place. And that curse is double strong for those with bad knees  - ozeki is the limit for him - and he has no better chance to get there than Osunaarashi.

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

To surpass a particular yokozuna you only need to win one more yusho than him: just 2 for Onokuni

First Yago has to surpass the curse on college rikishi to get to yokozuna in the first place. And that curse is double strong for those with bad knees  - ozeki is the limit for him - and he has no better chance to get there than Osunaarashi.

Actually 2 yusho with no MK as yokozuna would be better than Onokuni...

And when did a statistical fact for which there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for become a "curse"? (Laughing...)

• Like 1

Hideki Suzuki (鈴木英樹,18, 175cm, 120kg) from the Hiryu high sumo club in Numazu-city, Shizuoka, enters Kasugano-beya. He gained 30kg since entering the club and was 5th at the kokutai juniors last year. In primary school 2nd year (Shiz. shimbun has 3rd) he started sumo in his local Mishima sumo club, influenced by his father, the present president of that club, who was in the Chuo univ. sumo club and is an old friend of the oyakata. Since primary school the oyakata followed his progress and classified him as "worthy to scout". Last year he was at the heya to train - Kasugano: "He's of small stature and I want him to learn many techniques, but first to get firm in the basics - then a steady progress step by step and aiming for yokozuna." Suzuki aims to do sumo like high school sempai Tochihiryu, who shortly made it to sekitori: "I want to get to sekitori quickly and elate my locals." Sagatsukasa also is from Hiryu high - and both also from Mishima :

http://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/shizuoka/20170216/CK2017021602000026.html

http://www.at-s.com/sports/article/shizuoka/329464.html

http://mainichi.jp/articles/20170216/ddl/k22/050/101000c

IP170215TAN000054000.jpg

with the headmaster

9.jpg

On 14.2.2017 at 19:29, RabidJohn said:

And when did a statistical fact for which there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for become a "curse"? (Laughing...)

The Age of reason is behind us. Explainable ones make really nasty curses, and while statistics lose their absolute power by a counter example, Sumo curses simply reincarnate.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

On 16/02/2017 at 11:19, Akinomaki said:

The Age of reason is behind us.

Aye, some folk will alway prefer superstitions and fantastic conspiracy theories over mundane facts!

On the BBC's 'Sky at Night' astronomy programme this week they showed an image taken by a lunar survey satellite of the Apollo 11 landing site, complete with Armstrong's and Aldrin's footprints all around the Eagle's discarded landing stage, right where it should have been in the Sea of Tranquility. A mate of mine at work was absolutely gutted and is still trying to find reason to disbelieve...

Edited by RabidJohn
  • Like 1

On 7.2.2017 at 12:16, Akinomaki said:
On 3.2.2017 at 11:52, Akinomaki said:

Amateur yokozuna Yago (22, 186cm, 170kg, Hokkaido, Memuro shusshin) enters Oguruma-beya

Heya connection: since his 2nd year he is a friend of Chudai sempai (ex-student yokozuna) Takekaze.

Today was the press conference at Chuo university: Takekaze, Yago, Oguruma-oyakata

Chuo university published a news video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elJpEgz3tKA

On 6.2.2017 at 12:45, Akinomaki said:

Shinya Sato(?佐藤伸也) (15, 174cm, 105kg) from Obanazawa-city, Yamagata, will enter Sadogatake-beya - from the same city as the oyakata, but he is the first that age from there to enter the heya while Kotonowaka is the shisho.

Sadogatake-oyakata came to the Obanazawa middle school to get the soon Kotosato. Sato: "I want to surpass the oyakata." The oyakata: "I want him to surpass the oyakata." They also went to see the mayor with his parents and sister. http://yamagata-np.jp/news/201702/17/kj_2017021700424.php

img_2017021700313.jpg

• Like 1

On 9.2.2017 at 12:34, Akinomaki said:

Nakamura (167cm, 95kg) will be the 3rd uchi-deshi for Hakuho (this time we have the next Ishiura). He came for a visit to Miyagino-beya before the hatsu-basho and Hakuho encouraged him to enter there.

He won the light weight division at the sumo world championships in his 2nd and 3rd year, but has no best 8 records in the tournaments that matter and has to start from maezumo.

A press conference was held at the heya today. http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASK2P54B0K2PUTQP00K.html

"The heya I always longed for. I was approached last summer and wanted to enter since then. Now I could do it at last."

with both shisho

AS20170221004480_comm.jpg

with the real shisho

20170221s00005000154000p_thum.jpgo

ab8a1ba36a663f2bbb00b526b3fbf00a.jpg

with the 2 direct ani-deshi - Hakuho has a high success rate of getting his uchi-deshi to makuuchi (so far 100%)20170221-OHT1I50072-L.jpg

The shisho: "I will retire in 3 years. Till then I want him to get to makuuchi and have him in the dohyo-iri:-)" (he'd also have to surpass the other 2 for that - Yamaguchi likely will make it back)  http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20170221-OHT1T50110.html

Nakamura: "The yokozuna is the world's strongest person. I think following him can't go wrong. First of all to sekitori." Hakuho: "I did reach sekitori in close to 3 years, I want him to do it in 1.5 to 2 years, best before he has an oicho topknot." http://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/sports/sumou/654444/

Hakuho emphasizes his wish to become oyakata, but no word of an exception for him if he won't become Japanese

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3

On 30.1.2017 at 18:30, Akinomaki said:

The students 2016 team champion Toyodai's captain Murata and vice-captain Onami upon entering ozumo had a press conference at the university today.

Onami (now with 180cm, 115kg) yearns to become the next Ishiura - if he can with the shikona of grandfather Wakabayama.

3 brothers at the same time in a heya, of a 3 generations ozumo rikishi family. 2nd son Goshi is close to sekitori, the eldest Onami after overcoming injury (2 basho kyujo) will most likely be back in makushita for Haru - and Atsushi Onami starts at the bottom of sandanme, with another name, unless his brother changes his shikona and lets him use that. Atsushi: "I want us to become sekitori as 3 brothers."

Who will be the first in juryo? - and who will get the shikona of grandad Wakabayama, who was trained in the Futabayama-dojo and then Tokitsukaze-beya. Father Wakashinobu was in Tatsutagawa-beya.

All 3 brothers come from the GakuFuku-high sumo club in Fukushima. The dohyo there was destroyed by the 3/11 great earthquake and Atsushi evacuated for about a month to Arashio-beya, where the eldest brother was a member - likely the 2nd brother evacuated there as well, he entered later that year.

3 brothers as sekitori (but not all 3 at the same time) were only Terao, Sakahoko and Kakureizan - from the 2 generation Izutsu-beya family.

http://mainichi.jp/articles/20170221/dde/035/050/055000c

4.jpg 4.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

167 cm? I'm sorry but this kid is going nowhere no matter how much weight he puts on.

4 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Hakuho emphasizes his wish to become oyakata, but no word of an exception for him if he won't become Japanese

I think Hakuho can have whatever he wants but he won't be doing much if he doesn't become a Japanese citizen. I think that's the one line they won't cross.

Bit of a tangent, but what's the score with Hak's citizenship? Is it him dragging his heels, or the Japanese authorities? Or is he hoping the NSK will change its collective mind and let him remain Mongolian?

Well Toyonoshima is only 169 cm and he has had quite a career...

Edited by Mihasan
  • Like 1

Sagatsukasa is 166cm and he spent almost 30 basho as a sekitori. His height will be a disadvantage, but it alone wont prevent him from having a good career.

15 hours ago, Rocks said:
20 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

167 cm? I'm sorry but this kid is going nowhere no matter how much weight he puts on.

Think of how far Mainoumi went, too.

15 hours ago, Rocks said:

Don't forget the top results in tournaments that doesn't matter for ozumo qualifications

On 8.2.2017 at 18:55, Akinomaki said:
On 21.9.2016 at 00:31, mikawa said:

41st National College Sumo Class-by-Class Championships (2016-9-18)

Open Weight Competition

3rd Place: Nakamura Yuya (中村 友哉, Kanazawa Gakuin University)

On 9.6.2016 at 14:25, mikawa said:

90th West Japan Student Sumo Championships (2016-6-5)

Individual Competition:

1st: Nakamura Yuya (中村 友哉), Kanazawa Gakuin University

and win with the team there

And he is trained by Hakuho = success guaranteed

- and trains with Ishiura and Yamaguchi - I have no doubt that he'll get to sekitori, if he remains uninjured

14 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Bit of a tangent, but what's the score with Hak's citizenship? Is it him dragging his heels, or the Japanese authorities? Or is he hoping the NSK will change its collective mind and let him remain Mongolian?

Papers once reported Hakuho is hesitant to naturalize as long as his father is still alive.

Nakamura like his role-model ani-deshi Ishiura and designated rival Ura would like to use his real name as shikona, but that is an oyakata name and all those are out of bounds for active rikishi. He gets the nickname "The sumo worlds twist (hineri) prince" - originally Shirai got that name for his spins, Nakamura for the twist throws he likes to use. He won the west Japan student championships, but at the national student championships was stopped after a real good fight in the best 16 by Osanai (who lost in the SF to Onami -  no word about Osanai entering yet): had Nakamura won that bout, he would have started as sdTD, new for that tournament last year.

http://www.chunichi.co.jp/chuspo/article/sumo/news/CK2017022202000147.html

his parents and big brother were at the heya as well

P2017022101533_nakamura2_miu-w500_1.jpg

AS20170221004480_commL.jpgo  P2017022101529_nakamura_haku_miu-w200_0.jpgo bt-hineri-sy20170222-w200_0.jpgo P2017022101533_nakamura2_miu-w200_1.jpgo 20170221s00005000154000p_thum.jpgo 20170221-OHT1I50175-N.jpgo  PK2017022202100058_size0.jpgo PK2017022202100064_size0.jpgo PK2017022202100064_size0.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Asakayama-beya has a new recruit, 15-year-old Mark Aaron Justin Toma (當真 マーク アーロン ジャスティン) from Kanagawa prefecture. 178cm, 140kg. His mother is from the Phillipines. Apparently he simply decided to try sumo and bowled up to the heya one day. A few pictures:

Spoiler

With his parents.

Toma01.jpg

Learning about the mawashi from his seniors.

Toma02.jpg

After his first brush with a tokoyama.

Toma03.jpg

Asageiko.

Toma04.jpg

Chanko time.

Toma05.jpg

• Like 7