Sakura

My experience playing sumo games for the first time

I just wanted to share some newbie thoughts on playing for the first time.

First off, not matter how badly I did, I enjoyed myself.

GTB was my first game. As someone with a mathematics background I find this an interesting challenge. Trying to discover the mathematical rules for myself as to how promotion and demotion works is something I'm looking forward to. The human factor is more problematic.

RotoSumo was my best result, finishing 11th overall. I like the pre-basho format because I have more time to think.

The daily games were difficult (though I still want to do Bench next time). I played TUG and TTT and did poorly in both. I also did GKA, which I had a better performance in. Previously, my basho watching was waiting for the NHK World highlights to come on. Given the time zone I was in, the highlights for the previous day would come on just 2.5 hours before the start of the next day's Makuuchi bouts. However, for the daily games I would need to submit my picks well before that time. I couldn't watch the bouts live because I was in bed, so I had to watch them the next day (Thanks Kinta!). Unfortunately, even though I work from home I still have to do that work so I couldn't devote as much time as I would like on my picks. After watching the video I would have to make some picks. Usually, they were just guesses. There was no time for analysis by looking at the head to head, for example. Any time I could spare was spent looking at the W-L matrix to try and work out my guess for GKA.

In summary, games are fun, but daily games are difficult due to time constraints.

• Like 4

Yeah, time is a major factor.  I have had to strictly organise myself and try to spend as little time as possible on entering the games.  It now probably takes me about 45 minutes in total to pick my lads and enter all the daily games (I'm in all the SB ones and also TUG).

I think one of the most difficult things is to remember all of the games I need to submit entries for each day. Quite apart from actually having the intuition (or system) to guide what entries to make, which I sadly don't have time to work on.

Yeah, back when I started over a decade ago it probably took me 45 minutes for Toto alone. I've ruthlessly trimmed that down over the years, and I'm now at about 10 minutes for Toto and another 10 minutes for 6 other dailies...well, 5 after the inevitable Chaingang exit. But of course, I'm not playing Odd Sumo or Sumo Game which have the most free-form entry choices and require the most effort to make one's selections (which is part of why I'm not playing them).

47 minutes ago, Suwihuto said:

I think one of the most difficult things is to remember all of the games I need to submit entries for each day. Quite apart from actually having the intuition (or system) to guide what entries to make, which I sadly don't have time to work on.

I hear ya! That is why I really value the Sumo Games Deadlines thread, others use the Super Banzuke main page to not lose track of each and every daily Sumo Game entry. 

I found that it saves a lot of time to submit Sekitori Toto last, as I just remember the picks for all the other games, so it just takes me 2-3 minutes now, 5-10 minutes tops if I consider myself to be in contention for SB points.

Most time consuming entries are of course for Bench and Sumo Game, as you can also study your opponents previous lineups and tactics.

Edited by kuroimori
  • Like 1

Congrats on completing your first gaming basho and on your nice Roto finish!  By the looks of the banzuke, you almost went from maezumo straight to Juryo.  I wanted to point out that TTT has been brutal lately; only 10 players managed a kk in Kyushu and Nagoya/Aki were even worse.  

6 hours ago, Suwihuto said:

http://www.strongoak.net/sb/

The only daily game not on that list that I play is TUG, which I do after the SB games.  If you like maegashira game, I guess you'd have to remember to do that one afterwards as well.

Part of the reason I developed a purely calculated system was a time concern thing.  While I had a lot of time then, I knew I wasn't always going to, and figured I should spend my time developing a system that requires minimal work day-to-day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gurowake said:

http://www.strongoak.net/sb/

The only daily game not on that list that I play is TUG, which I do after the SB games.  If you like maegashira game, I guess you'd have to remember to do that one afterwards as well.

Part of the reason I developed a purely calculated system was a time concern thing.  While I had a lot of time then, I knew I wasn't always going to, and figured I should spend my time developing a system that requires minimal work day-to-day.

I currently only play some of those games, and even then, I still forget to do Quad or Toto, I'm probably too easily distracted. My main method is to leave a tab open for each game, and to go through them all in turn.

I play about 20 games. Pre-basho it takes about 2 hours to sign up in all the games and enter the pre-basho games. Then daily it takes about an hour to enter daily...at least 15 minutes of that time is spent posting and commenting upon the Fighting Spirit Prize Standings in Bench Sumo. When I enter daily, I always start with Sekitori-toto. Before hitting the entry button, I print off the entry form. Then I have a torikumi to look at with head-to-heads to use for entering all the other games.

I have a daily 4x6 piece of paper with all the games I enter on it. Each day I go down the written list, writing down my pre-basho standings so far, and checking off each daily game as I enter. I never miss an entry that way.

Bench Sumo is by far the most enjoyable game. Due to registration problems, you will have to contact Jejima to get yourself registered for the game. jejima@gmail.com

• Like 1

on chrome i have a folder with all the links to the daily games......rightclick it and work the tabs from right (trio) to left (TTT)

I used to play all the games that ever existed and continued playing some of them after they became defunct. One day I woke up and decided enough is enough. I slowly cut down on the games until now-I currently play 7 dailies (one of them Japanese) and 4 pre-bashos (3 of them Japanese, two of which I am the only foreigner playing AFAIK..) . I used to be pretty good, but my steady decline started exactly when I started doing the videos. Today it takes me 15 minutes to enter the dailies. I never had any spreadhsheets- always did it very quickly using gut feelings and the videos. My goal is to gradually fade out of all games.

My other goal is to come up with a new, brilliant game. Does anybody remember the "Guess the number of Yorikiri" game played by some 10 people at its peak? I was sure it was a zinger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

My goal is to gradually fade out of all games.

One game per decade, I assume ;-)

Ganzohnesushi

• Like 2

On 12/2/2016 at 22:16, Gaijingai said:

Bench Sumo is by far the most enjoyable game. Due to registration problems, you will have to contact Jejima to get yourself registered for the game. jejima@gmail.com

I'm afraid that I don't have that power.  Only Doitsuyama can add you, (once you have defeated the ice dragons and the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal).  I think the best way to get that done is to PM him here.

9 hours ago, Ganzohnesushi said:

One game per decade, I assume ;-)

Ganzohnesushi

Isn't that what "gradually" means?

• Like 1

Well, I just tried GTB. We'll see how that goes.

is there some way to see the rules, etc. for this games without logging in?

4 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I got that, Thanks. I even entered GTB :-). I meant the rules for the other games. Seems like everything you click on in the deadlines thread takes you to a login.

Just now, Rocks said:

I got that, Thanks. I even entered GTB :-). I meant the rules for the other games. Seems like everything you click on in the deadlines thread takes you to a login.

So sign up. It takes a second and it's the same login for most games.

22 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

So sign up. It takes a second and it's the same login for most games.

Another username/login? Ughh... Okay...Okay. Done

2 hours ago, Rocks said:

is there some way to see the rules, etc. for this games without logging in?

Try this. Should work for many games.

• Like 1

Well, I'm thinking I might try a few other games besides GTB. probably pre-basho games as they are set and forget. I'm afraid I'll forget to do the daily stuff.