John Gunning

Musings about language (split from Kasugayama scandal)

On 2016/10/23 at 06:35, egparis18 said:

... If you take it for granite that English has to be good enough for people to understand it as well as speak it, your sentence is fine as it is.

Yours is also understandable well enough though I'll pick a nit and point out that it is "take it for granted," not "take it for granite." Granite is a type of rock... "Take it for granite," would mean you misidentified a rock or something like that. If you said "granite" out loud most would assume you had said "granted" with an accent or something but while writing it you should be careful not to use "granite" unless you are talking about geology or the material used for kitchen counter-tops, flooring, etc.

29 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yours is also understandable well enough though I'll pick a nit and point out that it is "take it for granted," not "take it for granite."

I think she was joking..

Just now, Kintamayama said:

I think she was joking..

Quite possible! But funny to use such a joke in a thread like this. Ah well, if so, I fell for it.

44 minutes ago, Harry said:

you should be careful not to use "granite" unless you are talking about geology or the material used for kitchen counter-tops, flooring, etc.

I thought that's what we were talking about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kuroimori said:

Yes, the too off you! Stop it! Their are better places to discuss such sings!

*two *of *there *things :-D

Edited by Benihana

8 minutes ago, egparis18 said:

I thought that's what we were talking about.

I was going to say I'm floored but that's too obvious. Alright then... I knew there was a reason I rarely scrolled down to Off Topic.

• Like 1

On 23/10/2016 at 16:12, Kintamayama said:

Do you seriously say that someone "speaks English good enough" is correct?

If I were an examiner marking an English exam, obviously not.

For the purposes of making oneself understood here on this forum, it's good enough.

And, yes, in my everyday life and in my work as an editor, I'm seeing 'good' taking over from 'well' in all sorts of instances, not just the example I gave. (Incidentally, I change 'good' to 'well' where appropriate when I'm subediting, but I know when that when I'm away on holiday others will leave it as is...)

Only this morning on the BBC Radio 2 breakfast show, internationally renowned film and theatre actor Benedict Cumberbatch was being interviewed. "Good morning, Benedict. How are you?" said the presenter. "I'm good," quoth the Shakespearian one to 10 million listeners...

I'm half-expecting to see "Get good soon!" cards on sale in the shops and hospital foyers!

Another one I've noticed over the last couple of years, particularly among people in broadcast media, is the practice of prefacing answers with "Yeah. No." It's right on the verge of annoying me!

Edited by RabidJohn
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Benihana said:

*two *of *there *things :-D

Which two of there things do you mean?

On 22.10.2016. at 19:40, Bumpkin said:

Manekineko: off topic but my maternal grandmother was from Croatia. No idea what her maiden name was, only that she married a man from Bavaria named Martin Maart. Maybe we're related. Maybe not.

Pro'lly not, except in that way that about 6% of world population are descendants of Genghis Khan. [Googled it - 0,5 % of male world population. Not bad.] There are lots of grandmas from Croatia, early to mid 20th century was a high time of emigrations from these parts of the world. Our rugby team was started by importing all those retired Maori rugby players with Croatian grandmas.

Anyway, that makes you Croatian sansei. Come and visit the old country sometime. :-)

• Like 1

On 10/26/2016 at 12:57, Manekineko said:

Pro'lly not, except in that way that about 6% of world population are descendants of Genghis Khan. [Googled it - 0,5 % of male world population. Not bad.] There are lots of grandmas from Croatia, early to mid 20th century was a high time of emigrations from these parts of the world. Our rugby team was started by importing all those retired Maori rugby players with Croatian grandmas.

Anyway, that makes you Croatian sansei. Come and visit the old country sometime. :-)

I discovered my mother's mother's father was Anton Biscan, born in 1880 in Samobor, Croatia. Is Biscan a popular surname in Croatia? Have you been to Samobor?  Maybe we're related. Maybe not.

(Iamgoingoff-topic...)

On 30.10.2016. at 00:25, Bumpkin said:

I discovered my mother's mother's father was Anton Biscan, born in 1880 in Samobor, Croatia. Is Biscan a popular surname in Croatia? Have you been to Samobor?  Maybe we're related. Maybe not.

It's probably Bišćan, with the diacritics. š = sh, ć = soft ch, vowels pronounced as they would be in Japanese, German, or other normal languages. ;-) There are a couple of footballers (ie. soccer players) with that surname - it's not uncommon, but it's not terribly common, either. Google also found a car dealership and a construction company with that name.

Samobor is now almost a suburb of Zagreb, the capital (where I live), so of course I've been. It's a quaint li'l town. It's locally famous for kremšnite,  Or cremeschnitte, I guess.

We're not related - my family's from the coast and only came to Zagreb in my parents' generation.

Thank you for the response.  We may not be related by blood but we will always be related by sumo.

Edited by Bumpkin