Kintamayama

Potential Forum Meeting May 2017

215 posts in this topic

On 4/14/2017 at 12:15, John Gunning said:

So how many people are coming and what days do you want to go see training?

[...]

Can those involved start a PM thread soley for the keiko watching so we can sort that. 

12 hours ago, Kuroyama said:

We have a PM thread going to discuss a pre-basho heya visit, but I'm not sure how to add someone. 

Please add me to the thread, if you can figure out how to add someone.
I'm not attending the basho, but I'm interested in going to watch keiko before the basho.

Now that the time has come for this I hope that those of you going will post some nice pictures. To give you an incentive to have your picture taken with a rikishi I have devised the following points system.

For each rikishi pictured with you, you score

1pt for Jonokuchi, mae-zumo or banzuke-gai 
2pt for Jonidan
5pt for Sandanme
8pt for Makushita
15pt for Juryo
20pt for Maegashira
24pt for Komusubi
25pt for Sekiwake
30pt for Ozeki
40pt for Yokozuna

hope this works...(Please!?...)

How about oyakata? Famous ex-rikishi?

1 hour ago, orandashoho said:

How about oyakata? Famous ex-rikishi?

20pts for any ex-rikishi who was a Yokozuna or Ozeki.
15pts for any other Oyakata

1 person likes this

Anyone who will be in the area tomorrow (May 8 Japan time) who wants to go on the heya visit, who might have been missed for the PM thread, please reply here ASAP and call out @John Gunning so he knows to expect you.

22 hours ago, Sakura said:

Now that the time has come for this I hope that those of you going will post some nice pictures. To give you an incentive to have your picture taken with a rikishi I have devised the following points system.

For each rikishi pictured with you, you score

1pt for Jonokuchi, mae-zumo or banzuke-gai 
2pt for Jonidan
5pt for Sandanme
8pt for Makushita
15pt for Juryo
20pt for Maegashira
24pt for Komusubi
25pt for Sekiwake
30pt for Ozeki
40pt for Yokozuna

hope this works...(Please!?...)

I will only be able to go on day 12. Any tips on best way to get pictures with rikishi? Are there designated times during the day where rikishi take pictures or are you essentially trying to get pictures with them in the background? Any advice from veteran fans and attendees is greatly appreciated and my apologies if this has been posted somewhere else already!

The best way to get pics with juryo and plain makuuchi rikishi is to wait outside where the rikishi leave: those who walk there slowly are usually willing to do fan service, especially those who won. Those who try to rush away or use another route won't be persuaded that easy. The lower ranks are usually more friendly and agree to have a pic taken anywhere in the kokugikan. The sanyaku may leave after the day ended, so those who have time to wait can get them there - but yokozuna/ozeki usually leave from the underground parking lot.

Got into the Anne Yokozuna hostel. It's pretty good. Roomy spaces, nice kitchen and lounge areas, the lockers are a joke but I'll be carrying my valuables and the suitcase is too big for the locker in any case. PASMO has turned out to be very useful.

Walked around the Kokikugan today, had a look at the Sumo museum. Lots of pictures of Kisenosato's investiture as Yokozuna. I never knew there was such a thing as a yokozuna contract that he had to sign.
There's hundred of food joints in the area. Anyone got a recommendation?

Based on videos Ive seen of fans waiting outside for the rikishi, Ura and Yutakayama stand out as being very accomodating with taking pictures and signing autographs. Yutakayama in particular seemed to stay forever doing it....

As I type I'm navigating the Tokyo subway system on my way to Ryogoku and should be in my room at the Ryogoku View by 1545 or so.

Posted (edited)

Care to go somewhere this evening, or are you too pooped from the long trip?
It takes me about five minutes to get to the RV West entrance.

Edited by orandashoho

57 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

Care to go somewhere this evening, or are you too pooped from the long trip?
It takes me about five minutes to get to the RV West entrance.

I sent you a PM.

What are you folks doing? Any updates on the things you've seen and done?

Is someone at the Kokugikan today and within the camera angle?  (first 8 rows behind the gyoji)

Anyway, enjoy the live action!  

For myself, this is my first time in Japan so I was doing a number of other things besides sumo-related activities. A heya visit pre-basho didn't work out, but @rhyen was able to arrange a visit to Isegahama-beya on Sunday morning during the abbreviated keiko they have on tournament days. All the sekitori make an appearance, including the yokozuna, even if briefly. Whether this was because they really needed the preparation, or to satisfy the group of VIP supporters who were also there, I don't know.

So, other than me exploring parts of Tokyo, there's been sumo from 8 am to 6 pm, and for some reason it doesn't seem anywhere near that long. From previous experience @Hokkaiko knew of a good spot close in, right in the center on the north side of the dohyo, where the real ticket holders don't show up until after 2. And since they don't have anyone checking tickets until after 1, we get a great view for almost all the lower divisions. (Not me personally because I've been getting lunch around noonish and then heading to my real seat.)

I don't know if we're visible from the camera angle on the stream. Certainly not during the sekitori bouts since we're in our correct seats then. Maybe I could head to the other side of the dohyo and wave or something, at some point during sandanme.

2 people like this