Kintamayama

Potential Forum Meeting May 2017

Kintamayama    17,456
19 hours ago, Andonishiki said:

Moti-sama,

did you come up with the idea of the fabulous GtB game?

if yes, how did this idea develop ?

if not you, who did ?

allow one more question - any plans to visit a future honbasho ? 

shalom & lachaim from Singapore

Well, I thought about it but others probably thought about it too but didn't do anything. It seemed to me pretty obvious that guessing the next Banzuke had a game potential in there somewhere.. It took a while to stabilize (remember the bonus points for guessing a certain rank?) and over the years many players wrote me with ideas to improve it, which I politely declined, probably wrongly so. I did all the scoring manually for the first few years which at first with 10 players was no big deal but then we had 50 and I found myself drowning. As usual, Doitsuyama came to my rescue and  automated the game and hosted it on his server - from then it's been smooth sailing. I am notorious for never being happy with the number of players playing though. It's settled lately around the 70 players mark. I'd like to see 100, but the other games have also seen a decline in players lately so I should really not complain, especially given this is quite a complicated game after all.

As for honbasho, the plan is for next May. I'm not getting any younger and I want to visit Japan once more before I smell the flowers from underneath. I will decide in a few weeks, and if I do go, I intend to convince as many forum members as I can to join me there for a gigantic forum meeting... It's about time we had one of those.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 15

rhyen    652

How about Kyushu basho 2017 instead?

Edited by rhyen

Kintamayama    17,456
27 minutes ago, rhyen said:

How about Kyushu basho 2017 instead?

For me, Tokyo calling-my home town..

Bumpkin    210
6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

For me, Tokyo calling-my home town..

How many years did you live in Tokyo?  How old were you?  How often do you make it back?  

Kintamayama    17,456

36 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

How many years did you live in Tokyo?  How old were you?  How often do you make it back?  

13 years. From 1954-1967. 8 months old till 13 years old. I try to go back as often as I can but I can't. About once every 5 years or so.

Edited by Kintamayama

gijo    21
14 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I intend to convince as many forum members as I can to join me there for a gigantic forum meeting... It's about time we had one of those.

Well, I'm planning a trip to an honbasho too, it will be great to plan something like this!!!! Wow!! Great idea!! Let's open a thread on this.

Bumpkin    210
14 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

As for honbasho, the plan is for next May. I'm not getting any younger and I want to visit Japan once more before I smell the flowers from underneath. I will decide in a few weeks, and if I do go, I intend to convince as many forum members as I can to join me there for a gigantic forum meeting... It's about time we had one of those.

What a great idea.  If I can afford it, I would love to go.  

orandashoho    333
33 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

What a great idea.  If I can afford it, I would love to go.  

Same here! When you go, how long would you stay, and what day(s) would you get tickets for? Could it be done as a group?

Seijakuzan    53
15 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Wow, I would give my right arm to be within 1000 miles as that many English-speaking sumo fans at once, let alone together at Kokugikan.  I've been looking for an excuse to get back since 2010, but given that my new daughter will be 6mo old in May I'm fairly certain my wife would kill me - even if I already do have the leave the house now and then for work travel...

If this happens and turns out to be successful, please make that a semi-regular thing!

• Like 1

Kintamayama    17,456
7 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

Same here! When you go, how long would you stay, and what day(s) would you get tickets for? Could it be done as a group?

Once we decide who's going and when, we can try to ask some of our Japan-based members to help us out with the tickets, as this is becoming a problem lately. I usually stay for about ten days and try to arrive 3-4 days before the basho starts to see some keiko. Then it's every day from 9 am till 6 pm at the KKan where you can sit right next to the dohyo till about lower Makushita. Then  we go for a chanko dinner or whatever. Been done before really successfully but someone local has got to help us organize this.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4

orandashoho    333
25 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Once we decide who's going and when, we can try to ask some of our Japan-based members to help us out with the tickets, as this is becoming a problem lately. I usually stay for about ten days and try to arrive 3-4 days before the basho starts to see some keiko. Then it's every day from 9 am till 6 pm at the KKan where you can sit right next to the dohyo till about lower Makushita. Then  we go for a chanko dinner or whatever. Been done before really successfully but someone local has got to help us organize this.

Sounds like a plan. I need some idea about costs and options in order to determine if it's affordable at all, though.

d_golem    169

Sumo trip to Japan with Moti adn other forum members...sumo at the KK...chanko dinner...

Need to start saving my Indonesian wages now....and another itinerary to appease the wife and kids...

• Like 1

rhyen    652

Ghibli museum to the west, Disneyland to the South, Asakusa amusement park behind Sensoji

kuroimori    1,532
17 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Let's all go Natsu! in Toukyou.

Already caught myself thinking about my schedule, how to combine it with a biz trip, etc.

The thrills! 

• Like 1

orandashoho    333

Given the obstacle of costs, it is best to plan and book far ahead.
If there are possibilities for group booking discounts, we should take advantage of that. It would be great if we could stay in one location, or close enough to make grup activities easy to plan. What are the options?
My living requirements are modest. For sleeping, somewhere to put one's head down. I'm used to roughing it, I don't mind sleeping on a futon on someone's floor. Bunking with Tokyo based forum members is no problem. I want to avoid expenses for unnecessary luxuries! A safe place for keeping personal items while away is a must, though.
Like Kinta, I would like to arrive ahead of time and see some keiko.
While in Japan I would definitely like to spend time in onsen and sento, I love saunas and hot baths.

maxjax    0

Man I'm so jealous. If I want to go to Japan i'll have to work for a year just to afford the plane tickets. Life in the Caribbean lol

Jejima    235
On 9/30/2016 at 05:00, Kintamayama said:

Then it's every day from 9 am till 6 pm at the KKan where you can sit right next to the dohyo till about lower Makushita. 

Sometimes possible to sit there until the end of the Juryo bouts!  :-)

• Like 1

Orion    411
2 hours ago, Jejima said:

Sometimes possible to sit there until the end of the Juryo bouts!  :-)

If your ticket is for upstairs, you can go into the downstairs area until 1:00 p.m, when a Kyokai employee is on guard at each door checking tickets. (This is a fairly recent relaxing of an iron-bound rule brought in when things first got tough. Before that time, anybody could sit in any seat downstairs until the ticket-holder came, though  the regulars were expected to move out when the juryos came on.)

These days I myself sit in the corner space for four wheelchairs, on one of the four chairs provided for helpers. But after one o'clock, if I go out for any reason, I can't get back; I have to go upstairs to my real seat. 

Orion 

Edited by Orion
typo
  • Like 4

Kuroyama    456
On 9/29/2016 at 14:00, Kintamayama said:

If this is really going to happen, I may well find it hard to pass up the opportunity.

CT3*    253
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 01:34, Kintamayama said:

Count me in!! I'm heading back over for the January 2017 basho, but I'd go back in May if there was a Sumo Forum gathering!

Harry    65

You said you plan to stay 10 days and arrive early for keiko. Does that mean you aren't staying until senshuuraku?

Edited by Harry

Benevolance    934

Why would anyone stay to senshuraku? Hakuho's usually wrapped up the tournament by Day 10... ;-)

Kintamayama    17,456
7 hours ago, Harry said:

You said you plan to stay 10 days and arrive early for keiko. Does that mean you aren't staying until senshuuraku?

It's either that or arriving on day 5. I don't have the free time or the resources for staying the whole basho in Tokyo. I've done both (arriving before the basho and arriving mid-basho), but the keiko thing is more fun.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

rhyen    652
4 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

It's either that or arriving on day 5. I don't have the free time or the resources for staying the whole basho in Tokyo. I've done both (arriving before the basho and arriving mid-basho), but the keiko thing is more fun.

Agreed.

They practice the whole morning, pre-basho, with most of the rikishi, from jonokuichi all the way up to Makuuchi.