Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

Bench Sumo news

No, the Yahoo Bench mailing list is not *yet* dead....  I think we are in the change-over stages at this moment.  More on this matter (hopefully) when I return to Hong Kong this weekend.

@Doitsuyama  I'd like to register myself to play. I tried PM'ing you but your inbox is full, and saying your shikona three times in front of a mirror but my bathroom is too small to fit you.

Cheers!

• Haha 1

Dear all,

I have received the following message from Marushiki, the Chair of the Bench Sumo Yokozuna Deliberation Council. (the rijicho's comments follow after)

Venerable Rijicho

It is with heavy hearts that the BSYDC have met to discuss our Yokozuna. 

Kitakachiyama has always tried his best, and has kept honour to the name of Yokozuna.  His performance leading up to his promotion to this esteemed rank was outstanding.  But as with those who have gone before, it is difficult to maintain such great feats.   (Especially when you are relying on a bunch of real guys who may be struggling for one reason or another)

After much deliberation and soul searching the BSYDC must sadly ask for Kitakachiyama to Intai.  

We would like to thank him for his diligence, and persistence in trying to maintain his rank.

We hope that he understands our decision and is happy starting back at Kitakachiyama II in the lower ranks.   

Marushiki (Chair BSYDC) 

As rijicho, I ask the Yokozuna to give his response to the BSYDC as soon as possible. (within 48 hours would be preferred, in order to give the Banzuke makers time to make the new banzuke.)

With retirement, Kitakachiyama would be invited to rejoin  the banzuke at ms10W. (although he may choose to restart from the very bottom, which would be, ummm, ms14W, so not too much difference these days.)

I personally would like to thank Kitakachiyama for his exciting rise to reach the top rank, and for his service as Yokozuna. Bench Sumo is always best, when there is a Yokozuna at the summit.

Jejima (BS rijicho)

• Sad 1

Hi all,

After the news regarding Yokozuna Kitakachiyama's intai, I am pleased to be the bearer of some happier news.

The banzuke makers have decided to promote ScreechingOwl to the rank of Ozeki for the November banzuke.

Although ScreechingOwl fell just short of the usual guidelines for promotion. (He has 29 wins over his past three bashos, and the guidelines state 30 wins), his remarkable consistency (57 wins over the past 6 bashos), was taken into consideration.

Congratulations on your promotion! We look forward to reading ScreechingOwl's acceptance speech.

Jejima (BS Rijicho)

Hi everyone!

Here is the new banzuke for November 2017.  It was put together by Jejima, Flohru and Kaiomitsuki, under the watchful eyes of Kintamayama, Ekigozan and Asashosakari.

With the expansion of sanyaku from 8 to 10 members, and with the sad intai of the Yokozuna (and for lower down the divisions, the 0-0-15 from Ekigozan), it has meant that there is LOADS of good banzuke luck being handed out this basho.  (Be warned!  If the sanyaku gets reduced back to 8 after November, it will be bad luck time for the January 2018 banzuke - so best to get a KK next time around ;-))

Bench Sumo banzukes are made using a 'dynamic banzuke making principle' which means that they are made a little differently to Ozumo and (probably) other sumo games.  Basically we look to always give the demotions due to players, to the possible benefit (good banzuke luck!) of players with KKs lower down the banzuke.  It means that in the long run, KK players have a better chance of going up the banzuke at a reasonable pace.

Some banzuke comments:-

Ozekis

ScreechingOwl is the new Ozeki.  By Bench tradition, he has to join the 'end-of-the-queue' at O2E, which means Itachiyama, (who was absent in September) is now O1W.  Despite being kadoban for November, Rubensan now sits atop the Bench banzuke for the first time ever at O1E.  Omedetou!

Sekiwakes

All three Sekiwakes are on Ozeki runs!  

By Bench tradition, newly demoted Susanoo gets the last Sekiwake spot, which (to balance the three Ozekis above), means S2W.  He needs at least 10 wins to be guaranteed a return to Ozeki 'the quick way'.

Jakusotsu had that amazing 12-day-winning-streak to take the yusho in September.  In his previous basho, he had a mere 8-7 KK from mid-way down the banzuke.  This means that a double digit KK might be enough for him to be promoted to Ozeki after November.

Perhaps Hokuyutaka has the easiest route to promotion to Ozeki?  He followed his 12-3 Yusho in July, with a 10-5 Jun-Yusho (at komusubi) in September.  Based on the numbers, any kind of KK might be enough for him to get the promotion!

Komusubis

By Bench tradition (which is different to the tradition regarding Ozekis....), Kosho komusubis get moved to the end of the queue, so Metzinowaka takes the K2W slot.  We have a Bench Banzuke making guideline that the sanyaku should be 8 players, but can be expanded up to 10 players in certain cases.  This means that Itachi very nearly was not promoted to komusubi...  He can thank the former Yokozuna for his intai, to free up a 10th place for him to slip into!

Sanyaku

If all 10 of the sanyaku turn up in November, then there should be 45 matches between the sanyaku members.  That is three all-sanyaku bouts each day throughout the basho.  That means there will be LOADS of points available for the Outstanding Performance Prize (get ready Marushiki!), and the ZQoSA could well be high-scoring too, despite the absence of a Yokozuna.

Joi-jin

Joi-jin players are those who can be expected to have matches against sanyaku players at some stage of the tournament.  Basically, it is the players who round out the 'top 16' - below the sanyaku.  If everyone turns up, it means we will have a very shallow joi-jin.  It would only dip down to the two M3s.

I expect to be the torikumi maker for Makunouchi in November.  If this is the case, I will divide the joi-jin into three.  The two M1s can expect to face every member of the sanyaku with very little (if any) exception.  The two M2s can also expect to meet every member of the sanyaku, however (if they are not themselves in the yusho race) they might skip one or two of the top ranks, who are needed to fight a yusho-hopeful from lower down the banzuke.  If either of the M3s are in the yusho race, they can expect to face all (or nearly all) of the sanyaku.  If they are not in the yusho race, they can expect to meet most of the non-genki (i.e. not in the yusho race themselves) sanyaku. 

Lower Makunouchi

From Leonishiki's promotion to M5W to the very bottom of the Makunouchi division, there is LOTS of banzuke luck for KK players (getting big promotions), and some luck for MK players too, getting less than a normal demotion.

Some interesting notes....

Hana-ichi keeps her rank on the banzuke at M12W, despite recording a MK!  (This might be a first in the history of Bench Sumo for a Makunouchi player outside of the Ozeki/Yokozuna ranks.) 

The two KOSHO players at the bottom of the division, actually go up a rank, as the bottom of the division has shrunk, thanks to the expansion of the sanyaku.

The promoted players from Juryo will be very happy!

Roundeye and GONZABUROW both end up mid-table (under more usual circumstances, they would be at the bottom of the division.)  On other banzukes, Holleshoryu could easily have been kept in Juryo, yet he is now ranked at a fairly safe M12E rank.  Perhaps the player getting the biggest surprise, will be toonoryu.  The Juryo Yusho winner (10-5) has been promoted all the way to Makunouchi from J9W!

Juryo

8-7s (with the one exception of shimodahito) all get moved up two ranks.  (Normally, they would expect a one-rank promotion only).  Perhaps the biggest surprise in the second division, is for Makushita Yusho winner (10-5) ihopeso.  He has been promoted all the way to J12E from ms8W!

Makushita

The former Yokozuna, Kitakachiyama, declined the offer to rejoin the banzuke at the ms10W rank, preferring to start at the very bottom.  However, this is almost the same, being ms14W.  I predict that he will be in Juryo by early 2018.

Anyways, enjoy the banzuke - you are probably going to have some banzuke luck with your rank!

Jejima (BS rijicho)

East

West

Ozeki

Rubensan 7-8 ([O2W])

Itachiyama KOSHO ([O1E])

ScreechingOwl 10-5 ([S1W])

Sekiwake

Hokuyutaka 10-5 ([K1E])

Jakusotsu 12-3 ([M6W])

Susanoo 6-9 ([O1W])

Komusubi

Gaijingai 10-5 ([M3E])

Damimonay 9-6 ([M1E])

Itachi 10-5 ([M4W])

Metzinowaka KOSHO ([K1W])

Maegashira

Gurowake 10-5 ([M7E])

Saruyama 8-7 ([M3W])

Yassier 10-5 ([M8W])

Ruziklao 8-7 ([M5E])

tokugawa 7-8 ([M2E])

Achiyama 9-6 ([M8E])

Taka 8-7 ([M6E])

Chocshoporyu 6-9 ([M1W])

Norizo 8-7 ([M7W])

Leonishiki 8-7 ([M10W])

pandaazuma 7-8 ([M5W])

Haidouzo 10-5 ([M15E])

Pitinosato 5-10 ([M2W])

Konosato 3-12 ([S1E])

Yamashade 10-5 ([M16E])

Kintamayama 5-10 ([M4E])

Oshirokita 8-7 ([M15W])

Roundeye 9-6 ([J1E])

GONZABUROW 10-5 ([J3W])

Watashi 6-9 ([M9E])

tainosen KOSHO ([M11E])

Flohru 6-9 ([M9W])

Holleshoryu 9-6 ([J4W])

Hana-ichi 7-8 ([M12W])

nomadwolf KOSHO ([M13E])

Boltbutthamma KOSHO ([M13W])

Getayukata 6-9 ([M12E])

Gawasukotto 5-10 ([M10E])

kuroimori 5-10 ([M11W])

toonoryu 10-5 ([J9W])

Chimatayama KOSHO ([M17E])

Furanohana KOSHO ([M17W])

Juryo

Bill 6-9 ([M14E])

Anjoboshi 7-8 ([M16W])

Terarno 7-8 ([J1W])

Fujisan KOSHO ([J2W])

Tsunamiko 8-7 ([J5E])

mischashimaru 8-7 ([J5W])

Jejima 8-7 ([J6E])

Chijanofuji 8-7 ([J6W])

Unkonoyama 10-5 ([J11E])

Sherlockiama 9-6 ([J9E])

Mariohana 8-7 ([J8E])

Frinkanohana 8-7 ([J8W])

kamogawa 6-9 ([J4E])

Kaiomitsuki 3-12 ([M14W])

Sebunshu 8-7 ([J10E])

andonishiki 7-8 ([J7W])

Fujiko 8-7 ([J11W])

Andoreasu 9-6 ([ms1E])

fujiyama 9-6 ([ms1W])

shimodahito 8-7 ([J13E])

Kitahotaru 9-6 ([ms3E])

Kasamatsuri 9-6 ([ms3W])

Ihopeso 10-5 ([ms8W])

Sakura 7-8 ([J12E])

iwakoko 7-8 ([J12W])

Rowitoro KOSHO ([J13W])

chishafuwaku 2-13 ([J2E])

Kaiowaka 6-9 ([J10W])

Makushita

Tenshinhan 4-11 ([J7E])

Kotononami 7-8 ([J14E])

Basoyama 8-7 ([ms4W])

Hironoumi KOSHO ([ms2W])

Chisaiyama 8-7 ([ms5E])

Takanorappa 6-9 ([J14W])

Kintsubasa KOSHO ([ms4E])

Senkoho 8-7 ([ms6E])

Ekigozan 0-0-15 ([J3E])

Heiyu 8-7 ([ms7E])

Kitanoyama 9-6 ([ms12W])

Bunijiman 9-6 ([ms13W])

Wamahada 7-8 ([ms6W])

Mukanibaru 8-7 ([ms11W])

Akokoneko 7-8 ([ms7W])

Marushiki 4-11 ([ms2E])

VESHANA KOSHO ([ms9E])

Homuburyuwa 8-7 ([ms14E])

Nekonishiki KOSHO ([ms10E])

Kyodaitimu KOSHO ([ms10W])

Maeden 5-10 ([ms5W)]

Mmikasazuma 5-10 ([ms8E])

Unagiyutaka 6-9 ([ms12E])

Aminoumi 4-11 ([ms13E])

Hibarifuji KOSHO ([ms14W])

Kofujinokami KOSHO ([ms15E])

sekihiryu KOSHO ([ms15W])

Kitakachiyama II 7-8 ([Y1E])

Banzuke-gai

Nanahachi 0-0-15 ([ms9W])
Smoczayama 0-0-15 ([ms11E])

Edited by Jejima
  • Like 2

@Doitsuyama, not sure how I can get through to you as your inbox is full, but I'd like to register to play Bench Sumo.

Thanks Jezz....

Seems strange seeing Kosho next to my name after missing my first basho in 13-14 years but dont you worry I am going to make up for it by playing every basho for the next 15 years at least...........

Next basho return to Makunouchi you can bet your mawashi on it...........

Also noteworthy on the new banzuke is the close proximity of my old enemy Anjoboshi who's recent silences have take some of the spice out of our meetings....

"Cmon Anjoboshi it doesn't take two minutes to trash talk.Please,please,please rise to it again I miss our verbal sparring.." ;-) 

Hi everybody!

For a bit of fun, I have made a Bench Sumo Quiz (total of 15 questions), using the Poll option at the Sumo Forum.

Please have a go (don't look up the answers - make educated guesses!)

Good luck!

Jejima

I have brought forward the automatic deadline for the Bench Sumo Quiz over at the Sumo Forum to this Friday (might be Saturday morning, in your time zone).  Still time to make an entry!

The following 17 players have entered (or part entered) already.....

chishafuwaku
Flohru
furanohana
Gaijingai
Ganzohnesushi
Gernobono
Getayukata
Gurowake
Jakusotsu
Kaiomitsuki
Kintamayama
Kotononami
Marushiki
Randomitsuki
Rubensan
Ruziklao
Unkonoyama

Still time to make your entry!

Jejima

Hi everyone,

The new Ozumo banzuke will be published tomorrow - and so we can start to get excited about the Fukuoka (November) basho :-)

For a bit of fun, here are some Bench milestones going into the final basho of the year.

There are three parts....
1. The players at a new career high rank, including 3 shin-Juryos, 2 shin-Sekiwakes and a shin-Ozeki.

2. The number of active bashos (multiples of 10) - *if* the player turns up in November.

3. Players who have a chance of going to a new 'multiple of 100' career wins in November.  This includes players who would need a 15-0 to do so....  But they can dream ;-)

Enjoy!

Jejima (BS rijicho)

At a new career high rank
ms9W Homuburyuwa
ms7W Mukanibaru
ms2E Basoyama

J12E Ihopeso - shin-Juryo!
J11E Kitahotaru - shin-Juryo!
J9W Andoreasu - shin-Juryo!

M2E - Yassier

S1W Jakusotsu - shin-Sekiwake! (actually, shin-Sanyaku, as he has never been ranked at komusubi)
S1E Hokuyutaka - shin-Sekiwake!

O2E ScreechingOwl - shin-Ozeki
O1E Rubensan - first time to top the Bench Sumo banzuke!

Number of active bashos (If they are active in November.)

Achiyama - 40

fujiyama - 50
Hironoumi - 60
iwakoko - 80
Metzinowaka - 80
Rubensan - 80
Leonishiki - 90
Marushiki - 100

Possible career win milestones this basho: (Current career wins in brackets)

100 wins
Unkonoyama (87)

200 wins
Basoyama (199)
Kyodaitimu (197)
Yamashade (195)
chishafuwaku (190)

300 wins
Nothing to see here.

400 wins
Chocshoporyu (394)
Haidouzo (387)
Sebunshu (386)
Kintsubasa (385)

500 wins
Itachiyama (499)
mischashimaru (496)
Anjoboshi (492)
Itachi (488)
Holleshoryu (485)

600 wins
iwakoko (598)
Taka (594)

700 wins
Sherlockiama (699)
Flohru (687)

800 wins
Gaijingai (794)
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jejima said:

At a new career high rank

O1E Rubensan - first time to top the Bench Sumo banzuke!

And with a 7-8!

THANK YOU DOITSUYAMA!!!!!

Hi everybody!

The Bench Sumo entry website is up <http://benchsumo.sumogames.de/>.  There is just over 24 hours to make your initial entry - so don't waste time, do it now!

Many apologies for the delay.  I understand that it was due to the Sumo Kyokai's webpage chaning its script.

*****After your initial entry, you may still change your squad, up until 2 pm (Japan time) on Sunday.*****

Hurry up, and get at least a place-holder team in.  

All the best,

Jejima (BS rijicho)

Attn:  Doitsuyama

McBugger is having problems making his first ever entry to play Bench Sumo.  Please can you help him.  Many thanks.

I always look into the Bench Sumo website to see if I can enter. Is it permanently broken?

22 minutes ago, Suwihuto said:

I always look into the Bench Sumo website to see if I can enter. Is it permanently broken?

It worked for me, e-mail confirmation received too.

8 minutes ago, Ruziklao said:

It worked for me, e-mail confirmation received too.

All of the buttons are always greyed out for me.

20 minutes ago, Suwihuto said:

All of the buttons are always greyed out for me.

I just entered too and received e-mail confirmation too.

I used Exil's page "Sumo Game Deadlines". Although the Countdown is not turned on yet, the links of the games work (almost all of them).

Hope this helps.

19 minutes ago, Achiyama said:

I just entered too and received e-mail confirmation too.

I used Exil's page "Sumo Game Deadlines". Although the Countdown is not turned on yet, the links of the games work (almost all of them).

Hope this helps.

Sadly not, but thanks for the advice. image.png.140113ae2acc400844d29ce7a122ea05.png

7 minutes ago, Suwihuto said:

Sadly not, but thanks for the advice. image.png.140113ae2acc400844d29ce7a122ea05.png

I don't know what's the reason.

On my computer the 2nd, 3rd and 4th links are active. Sorry!

did you try from sumogames.de ?

Edited by Achiyama
  • Like 1

Attn:  Suwihito

For new players to Bench Sumo, you need to be added to the Bench Sumo database by Doitsuyama.

I will ask him to add you to the game too - I presume that you wish to play using the shikona Suwihito.  (Please can you let me know your email address by PM)

Jejima (rijicho of Bench Sumo) 

Edited by Jejima
  • Like 1

question.  did we think about making Bench Sumo an iOS / Android app?

5 hours ago, kawika said:

question.  did we think about making Bench Sumo an iOS / Android app?

Not that I know of...

Can you elaborate?

17 minutes ago, Jejima said:

Not that I know of...

Can you elaborate?

rather than using a computer & a browser, it would cool to use an app on my smartphone.  i would be able to change my lineup all day long....

Edited by kawika