Kintamayama

Ura injured

12 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

No chance. Ura is committed to a career in Ozumo. He will endeavor to make a comeback. 

I do hope you're right.

Just over a year ago Harumafuji for one reason. Now Ura is in big danger for another one. My two favorites... :-(

OK. Now I can watch the bouts in the peace of mind (Laughing...)

Good luck Ura.

Edited by Fede

ACL it is." If he undergoes surgery it's probably going to be some months until he returns," said Inagawa Oyakata.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Sad 6

ACL tears recovery takes 6-8 months. It took Ura 12 to return after the first tear. I think we see him in Kyushu at the earliest. If the in fact returns in November he will be ranked around Jonidan 93 there by my calculations. Long way back from down there.  :( Fingers crossed 

I'm not so sure we'll see him back. To sit out five consecutive tournaments, to drop from maegashira to sandanme, and have to deal with doing that all over again from maybe off the banzuke.... it will take a huge amount of fighting spirit with no guarantee he will ever be fit enough to return to the paid ranks.

8 hours ago, Midoriyama said:

ACL tears recovery takes 6-8 months. It took Ura 12 to return after the first tear. I think we see him in Kyushu at the earliest. If the in fact returns in November he will be ranked around Jonidan 93 there by my calculations. Long way back from down there.  :( Fingers crossed 

I believe you've left out the demotion he's going to receive for his 2-3-2 this time, to Ms40 or so. Should mean Jonidan 110 for November = effectively jonokuchi. 

Apparently he's decided to have surgery again (which frankly he probably ought to have in any event) and try again:

• Thanks 1

I wish him the best, of course. A speedy recovery, a sensible revalidation and training period, sensible testing of the twice-operated limb, perhaps an adjustment of sumo style to prevent reinjury, and after that, if all goes well, a rapid rise through the ranks to reclaim a position at the top. One would so wish that, because Ozumo is richer for his contribution to it. But not at the expense of a long fruitless slog with nothing at the end of it other than a broken body.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

I wish him the best, of course. A speedy recovery, a sensible revalidation and training period, sensible testing of the twice-operated limb, perhaps an adjustment of sumo style to prevent reinjury, and after that, if all goes well, a rapid rise through the ranks to reclaim a position at the top. One would so wish that, because Ozumo is richer for his contribution to it. But not at the expense of a long fruitless slog with nothing at the end of it other than a broken body.

I hate to say it, but I think he's better off hanging up his spurs.  Just get the surgery to restore his leg to health and then think about moving on.  If something like a misplaced fall can re-tear it so easily, he certainly won't be able to stand up to bigger and heavier opponents, even with a drastically altered sumo style.  While I wish him well, I think he's setting himself up for potentially giving himself a severe and irreparable injury which, at 26 (or indeed any age), is foolish.

• Like 2

Yes, as I said earlier, it isn't as if he has no other options what to do with his life.
By all means, get the best health care the NSK can offer, and then decide.

So sad... Feels like another bs recovery. Kise's style...We cant be naive about it... having Ura in the heya is nice business...Lots of media and public's attention.

Bummer! Such an awesome rikishi to watch...Good luck Pinkwonder.

When Ura was making waves in his 1st Makuuchi run, many of us thought that his style of sumo/body frame will make him prone to injuries.   Well, here he is.  His ozumo career is done even if he decides to come back.   He will be just another young prospect whose injury has cut his career down.   Unfortunate but it's life of a professional sport.

If and when he returns, every time he steps on the dohyo for the rest of his career he will have in the back of his mind that his knee could tear again. Imagine what that does to your confidence. I wouldn’t take any risks if it was me.

The yearly physical exams were held at the KKan today. Ura did the grip power thing we all love and totally understand. He recorded an incredible 100 kilos on each hand, which means his power was immeasurable, as the equipment only records up to 100 kilos, so who knows how much more he did.. Guys like Ounoshou were flabbergasted. "Un&^%$ingbelievable!" he said. As for his condition after he re-injured his knee- "I cannot say anything at this point in time but I will do everything I can to mount the dohyo again," said Ura.

Looks happy enough..

201902050000502-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

He recorded an incredible 100 kilos on each hand,...

More incredible considering that he was suffering from debilitating hand/wrist injuries for several bashos before he initially injured his knee.

Ura has had his surgery.

He will be discharged on the 13th of this month and apparently will do his rehab in Kansai (I guess to be closer to home and family?).  Watch this space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So hope he’ll make it all the way back up to where he belongs. I’ve been watching his fights lately and reminded of how electric he was in the ring. He really got the crowd going, win or lose, with his finishes 

Ura (now sd16w) is doing rehabilitation. Asked about the state of recovery, he replied: "That I can't tell", but he also talked and smiled and made an impression full of vitality.

Kise-oyakata: "When he got re-injured, I thought he wouldn't get back on his feet, but his character has become stronger." He made clear that the reentry date is unclear. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201904300000454.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Any news on how the rehab is going? I see he hasn't entered Aki.

He's back in the gym and looking pretty ripped, frankly.  I think he's lost weight.  I'd tentatively estimate a Kyushuu or Hatsu comeback attempt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2