Kintamayama

Ura injured

It looks like the injury layoff has been good for his weight gain at least.

On 5/30/2018 at 15:48, Eikokurai said:

It looks like the injury layoff has been good for his weight gain at least.

Indeed.  Some photos of him present at keiko in Nagoya show him looking a bit chubby.

• Like 2

Wow! he's got to weight close to 150 kilos now...   Btw is he entering the nagoya basho?

3 hours ago, Mihasan said:

Wow! he's got to weight close to 150 kilos now...   Btw is he entering the nagoya basho?

Nothing official yet. 

Ura had devoted himself to rehab, but to be prudent till complete recovery, he opted for another basho kyujo. The oyakata: "It (his condition) is fairly good, but it has to be perfect, so he thought. And the fear has to disappear. But I think he can do sumo."

He has not been at the keiko ground yet and carefully piles up training. The heya gets many phone calls expressing the hope for his return: "It's nice that there is this expectation, but I'm sorry, I don't want to let him suffer that same injury again. Regardless how much he drops down the banzuke, it's all the same. He has to do forward going sumo."

Comeback in perfect condition at the Aki basho.  http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2018/07/08/0011426331.shtml

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 5/30/2018 at 09:48, Kintamayama said:

Ura, Churanoumi and the signature:

201805300000500-w500_0.jpg

Oh, I *LOVE* how even when out of wafuku, he's still wearing bright pink!!

(And, yeah, I'm missing Ura, too... badly. But will be patient until he's fully recovered.)

I've blown my ACL twice. One definitely wants to wait for as full a recovery as possible. There's precious little blood flow through that area of the body and it takes time to heal, no matter which type of surgery he had. I've done both the allograft (I used to play a little basketball and requested Len Bias's material, but alas...) and the autograft on the second. Modern medicine has progressed significantly in these matters, but I tell folks that one definitely wants to retain all the original parts, if possible. We're not up to the Bionic Man level just yet. Go Ura! Be well, and we hope you come back to sumo in due course.

On 5/4/2018 at 07:36, Yatagarasu said:

Ura today - always smiling.  He seems to be continuing rehab (he had some today), with some training tomorrow.  He's gambarising but earliest return date thought to be July.  

The cycling for rehab is terminal.  :)

39 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Ura is in at Sandanme 91 and starts the long voyage back up, hopefully.

This screams for a poll.

Best of luck, little bugger!

Edited by Benihana

I was lucky enough to get to attend a day in the Kyushu Basho just past, and managed to orient myself quickly enough to realize that I was getting to watch a match with Ura!

Happy, happy, happy!!

Yatagarasu - thank you for catching this. I'd only just visited the Sumo Kyokai website, and I only could see that he'd been absent from his bout today, but not why.

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Yumenofude said:

Yatagarasu - thank you for catching this. I'd only just visited the Sumo Kyokai website, and I only could see that he'd been absent from his bout today, but not why.

Thanks again.

Here is yesterday’s bout, in which it was apparent that he’d done something to his knee - the question was merely the scale. The tweet unfortunately confirms our worst fears. :( Given this is the second time, I’m not sure we’ll be seeing him again on the dohyo and certainly not anytime soon.

Thank you, again, for that as well. (*more sad feels*) I appreciate the information net and your contribution to it here.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, even knowing what I know and can infer from related fields.

I'm just watching my feed now of day 11, with the absences in the makuuchi due to day 10 injuries. I know it's a hard sport, but still it's looking like a bit of a meat grinder at the moment.

Brutal news in this brutal sport. I was so anticipating his return to the upper divisions. He is so much fun to watch because of his unpredictable sumo

• Like 2

I'm half expecting him not to return. He is a clever, well-educated lad  who thought to give Ozumo a try. I don't think he'll be happy muddling along as a perpetual lower-ranker and now that it looks doubtful he'll ever be able to regain sekitory status with a knee that will be dodgy at best, he may well decide to call it a day and do something else with his life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, orandashoho said:

I'm half expecting him not to return. He is a clever, well-educated lad  who thought to give Ozumo a try. I don't think he'll be happy muddling along as a perpetual lower-ranker and now that it looks doubtful he'll ever be able to regain sekitory status with a knee that will be dodgy at best, he may well decide to call it a day and do something else with his life.

No chance. Ura is committed to a career in Ozumo. He will endeavor to make a comeback.