Kintamayama

Ura injured

Kintamayama    19,945

Injured Ura was present at the rikishikai held in Fukuoka today. When asked how he was and if he will be entering Kyushu, he just answered the usual "I shall gambarize" and left the building.

• Thanks 1

Kintamayama    19,945

Ura trained at home today, having 10 bouts with Sandanme and Jonidan rikishi, visibly sporting a supporter on his injured right knee. Hesitance at the tachiai and far from being ready, but at least he has begun to do some sumo. He did lose the supporter during his bouts, remaining only with the taping and trained a bit on the dohyo, but outside of the dohyo his limp was obvious. "Please say I am fully recovered..I still don't know if I'm entering or not," he said with a bitter smile. "I'm worried he will re-injure himself.." said a worried Kise Oyakata. Entering? "It's not like he can't do any sumo (????!!!).. If he feels confident he should enter. In any case I will leave it to him to decide," added the Oyakata. A makekoshi will mean demotion, so, as usual, the dilemma.

宇良10番取るも本調子ほど遠く九州「分からない」
  • Thanks 2

Kintamayama    19,945

Ura is training with the intention of entering. He faced some Sandanme and Makushita rikishi yesterday for 16 bouts and was 11-5. "I feel I am training in order to enter, but I don't know what's going to happen.." he said. "My only problem is with my right knee, so I still have my sumo balance. I know that the guys I'm facing right now are totally different from the real thing, so..," he added, hinting of his intention to face some sekitori for keiko before the basho commences.

宇良、初日まで1週間…右膝負傷から復活へ「出るつもりで稽古を」

• Thanks 3

Akinomaki    16,000

another of Ura at the heya on the 3rd training with sd and jd - ms and higher watching in the back

f_10702144.jpg

• Thanks 1

Stein    23

Well i just hope that his oyakata and his overall crew does not force him out too much like they do with Endo.

Otherwise he will not recover and wont reach his total potential.

(which i believe is komusubi/sekiwake, which is no laughing stock actually)

Good luck, Ura.

Kintamayama    19,945

Out of the basho. If he doesn't join at some point  he will be makekoshi and will drop down to deepest Juryo next basho.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Benihana    547
3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Out of the basho. If he doesn't join at some point and goes makekoshi, he will be down in deep Juryo next basho.

He's out? Best news of the day.

• Like 1

Ganzohnesushi    159
5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Out of the basho.

Wise decision. I hope the Tochinoshin way will be some benchmark for any overambitious severely injured Rikishi. Even dropping to bottom Makushita doesn't do any harm once your injuries are healed.

Ganzohnesushi

Jakusotsu    1,766
7 hours ago, Ganzohnesushi said:

I hope the Tochinoshin way will be some benchmark for any overambitious severely injured Rikishi. Even dropping to bottom Makushita doesn't do any harm once your injuries are healed.

Not that it prevented Tochinoshin from becoming a limping wreck...

Asashosakari    9,839
2 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Unfortunately not, but without the surgery he might now already be a limping wreck that's keeping Osunaarashi company in low juryo, or worse.

Kintamayama    19,945
9 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Unfortunately not, but without the surgery he might now already be a limping wreck that's keeping Osunaarashi company in low juryo, or worse.

Or  keeping Baruto company wherever he may be.

Kintamayama    19,945

Certificate says he needs three months to heal from surgery and rehabilitation- so he's probably having the surgery. It seems he injured his left knee as well. in addition to aggravating his right knee injury.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Sad 2

Jeronimozo    1
19 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Or  keeping Baruto company wherever he may be.

He seems to be in Facebook. As I am not, I can not say what he is doing there.

Yubinhaad    6,639

Update on Ura's situation. Rewind back to Senshuraku - Inagawa-oyakata (former Komusubi Futeno, an oyakata in Kise-beya) was doing NHK radio commentary, and he revealed that Ura was scheduled to undergo knee surgery on November 30th. Recovery time was estimated to be at least seven months, which would be put him out of action until the Nagoya basho at the earliest.

Ura is set to leave hospital this weekend.

AaLhmZFg_o.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 9
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

WAKATAKE    863

Better to take care of it now than to be maimed forever. Looking at what people like Chiyonokuni and Tochinoshin did, it's nothing to be ashamed of. Speedy recovery and we'll see you late next year Ura-zeki.

• Like 4

dada78641    324

Totally agree. He has his whole career in front of him. He absolutely made the right decision. He'll drop all the way down to deep makushita (maybe further?) but he'll climb the ranks again in no time.

I'm secretly hoping that cases like Ura—where a popular rikishi smartly decides to take an extended leave to properly heal injuries—will somehow help revive the old idea of granting rikishi a free leave without a drop in rank.

• Like 1

kawika    70

Ura is a full on young turk and will be back in maegashira by Kyushu 2018.

Kintamayama    19,945

Ura was seen for he first time in a while in public today and spoke to the media. Occasion- the last day of the physical checkups held at the Kokugikan. Mitakeumi and Aminishiki were there as well. Ura will be in Makushita for the first time in two years next basho. He has started moving about without crutches a few weeks ago. "I am slowly rehabilitating myself. I still can't put much pressure on it but i'm training to get there eventually.. March? I  go with the feeling that I can always do it.." he said. "Today, I was happy because during the grip tests, I managed to grip 70 kilos with my left hand, which is my most ever. (In 2016 he fractured a bone in his left hand and had surgery after which he managed 35 kilos last year.) When I entered sumo, I managed 50 kilos, then 60, and it went way down again with that hand injury. I thought i could never return to my original strength, but I did. So if I can do the same with my right knee , I hope to reach the same condition as before the knee injury. I want to return even stronger .." he said.

201802070000444-w300_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

ALAKTORN    273
On 11/10/2017 at 07:25, Jakusotsu said:

Well look at that limping wreck now! (Laughing...)

• Like 1