Kintamayama

Ura injured

Ura injured the back of his his left hand ( 左手甲付近, if anyone can elaborate..) at the start of Aki basho and had surgery on it a week ago. He will miss the Aki Jungyo which starts tomorrow. "I was told by the doctor that he needs surgery.." said Kise Oyakata.

• Like 4

That would certainly explain a few things about his performance at the Aki basho.

• Like 1

Get well soon, little bugger. I'm glad it's not his ankle again...

That's a strange place to need surgery.

4 hours ago, Rocks said:

That's a strange place to need surgery.

A hospital? That's normal.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

That would certainly explain a few things about his performance at the Aki basho.

Ura lost 5 straight after the 2nd match.  The next basho will indirectly tell us if Ura was impacted by the injury.  I like Ura and will be rooting for his rise.  

• Like 1

On 2.10.2016 at 23:47, Kintamayama said:

Ura injured the back of his his left hand ( 左手甲付近

The navicular bone (in gray, 舟状骨(しゅうじょうこつ ) had a fracture, 3 months to heal completely. Hitting the ground heavily with the wrist is a common reason for breaking this bone, which is the central part for moving the wrist. http://www.chunichi.co.jp/chuspo/article/sumo/news/CK2016100402000148.html

PK2016100402100077_size0.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 5

Kise Oyakata said today that there is a possibility that Ura will undergo surgery on his injured right knee. There is a torn ligament. "A major injury is a major injury. He is optimistic. In the end, it is his decision," said the Oyakata. He has undergone tests in a few hospitals and is considering various ways of treatment. Ura injured his knee in Nagoya and was it aggravated on day 2 of Aki and was diagnosed as ACL damage.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

A torn ligament in the knee so early on in his career. He should take the surgery, accept the big drop in rank and work his way up again. It's incredibly sad but he's young so he can still do this without feeling pressure to just gambarize his way through it.

I'd hate to see him go the Endou route. I know there's a lot of money they lose out on by dropping ranks, and the loss of "face" for sitting out, but I wish more would do it and heal properly. Such a shame to already have injuries mounting but it's a rough sport.

9 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Kise Oyakata said today that there is a possibility that Ura will undergo surgery on his injured right knee. There is a torn ligament. "A major injury is a major injury. He is optimistic. In the end, it is his decision," said the Oyakata. He has undergone tests in a few hospitals and is considering various ways of treatment. Ura injured his knee in Nagoya and was it aggravated on day 2 of Aki and was diagnosed as ACL damage.

thats really hard to swallow, he was growing fast on me.. rooting for him every basho. Hope he gets well fast! 

Thanks fo the Info!

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Churaumi said:

I'd hate to see him go the Endou route. I know there's a lot of money they lose out on by dropping ranks, and the loss of "face" for sitting out, but I wish more would do it and heal properly. Such a shame to already have injuries mounting but it's a rough sport.

There is no shame in taking time to properly heal from injury, taking whatever surgery and therapy required, and then come back, train and fight to return to the top.
This is easier than what countless female athletes have done when they return to the top of their sport after bearing a child. 

Ura should get the treatment he needs and take the time to heal properly and train sensibly for a return, if need be from the bottom. He has the talent and the smarts to get back and show everyone that his rise to the top had not been a fluke.

The talk is of  kyujo for Kyushu if he has the surgery, with a possibility of being out for at least 6 months.. For now.. "So rehabilitation and medicine worked for Endou. Every person is different- that may not work for Ura.." added Kise Oyakata.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Here's coming from a couch potato and never had muscle surgery in his entire life :

If he wants to challenge for sanyaku and possibly stay there for a good portion of his career, he'll have the surgery and therapy. If he wants to yo-yo between lower maegashira and juryo and be content, then he'll not have the surgery.

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks for the update, Kinta. I've been scanning Sumo Forum and the web every day or so, looking for what's up with our boy. I've been operated on twice for torn ACLs, both times from basketball injuries. I credit the recoveries/physical therapy for dramatically increasing my personal threshold for pain. Rough, but one can recover, and they take special care with the pro athletes. Point of curiosity, my second surgery was actually performed by the Olympic speed skater and five time gold medalist, Eric Heiden. Apparently6, he went to medical school somewhere in there...

If it's a full tear, either of the two major surgery methods is pretty much 6 months to a year recovery. If it's a partial tear, they may be able to do orthroscopic surgery with a much shorter recovery.

34 minutes ago, Thundersnow said:

Thanks for the update, Kinta. I've been scanning Sumo Forum and the web every day or so, looking for what's up with our boy. I've been operated on twice for torn ACLs, both times from basketball injuries. I credit the recoveries/physical therapy for dramatically increasing my personal threshold for pain. Rough, but one can recover, and they take special care with the pro athletes. Point of curiosity, my second surgery was actually performed by the Olympic speed skater and five time gold medalist, Eric Heiden. Apparently6, he went to medical school somewhere in there...

If it's a full tear, either of the two major surgery methods is pretty much 6 months to a year recovery. If it's a partial tear, they may be able to do orthroscopic surgery with a much shorter recovery.

The Eric Heiden of Shorewood Hills? I remember the little Heiden House shed thing that they used when they flooded the park for a skating rink every winter.

2 minutes ago, Sakura said:

The Eric Heiden of Shorewood Hills? I remember the little Heiden House shed thing that they used when they flooded the park for a skating rink every winter.

Really? You're from Shorewood Hills? I checked his Wiki page, and indeed, yes. You knew that already, of course.

1 minute ago, Thundersnow said:

Really? You're from Shorewood Hills? I checked his Wiki page, and indeed, yes. You knew that already, of course.

No, I'm from the UK ;) 

I saw an article that mentioned 6 months to a year.  The fact that they mentioned 'to a year' seems to be positive in that it not only manages public (and NSK) expectations but they are keeping it realistic.  Hopefully it's a sign they won't be pressuring him for a premature return later down the line.  

On a slight tangent, I wonder if this news will influence whether Ura just scrapes through to stay in makuuchi on the next banzuke - there was wavering doubt in the promotions/demotions thread.  I'm guessing that if there is now little prospect of him returning anytime soon, they may simply hand his place to someone fit who can make 'most use' of it, whereas if there had been a glimmer of hope they might have kept him in there.  But I don't know the extent to which such factors would influence ranking in borderline cases.  Obviously a makuuchi ranking would help slow the decline during his absence, but given the commonplace nature of serious injuries I can't imagine the banzuke committee would throw him a bone like that.

37 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

On a slight tangent, I wonder if this news will influence whether Ura just scrapes through to stay in makuuchi on the next banzuke - there was wavering doubt in the promotions/demotions thread.  I'm guessing that if there is now little prospect of him returning anytime soon, they may simply hand his place to someone fit who can make 'most use' of it, whereas if there had been a glimmer of hope they might have kept him in there.  But I don't know the extent to which such factors would influence ranking in borderline cases.  Obviously a makuuchi ranking would help slow the decline during his absence, but given the commonplace nature of serious injuries I can't imagine the banzuke committee would throw him a bone like that.

I seriously doubt that constitutes in any way a reason for demoting him to Juryo. I don't think anyone was ever demoted from M4 with a 1-14, healthy or not.. Latest M4 with a 1-14 was Chiyoootori last September and he was dropped to M12.

Query

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 1

The news also came out after Wednesday, which was the day the banzuke deliberations have been completed. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2016 at 05:42, Akinomaki said:

The navicular bone (in gray, 舟状骨(しゅうじょうこつ ) had a fracture, 3 months to heal completely. Hitting the ground heavily with the wrist is a common reason for breaking this bone, which is the central part for moving the wrist. http://www.chunichi.co.jp/chuspo/article/sumo/news/CK2016100402000148.html

PK2016100402100077_size0.jpg

This is interesting - the Navicular bone is actually in your foot (inner side of your foot, just above the arch), not your wrist. But there's another bone, located in your wrist, that's also sometimes called the Navicular bone too! This is the Scaphoid bone, which is situated between the base of your thumb and the radius bone in your arm. It's one of those little bones (including the hamate bone) at the base of the hand which are often broken when people try to catch themselves when they fall. My mom had 3 pins in her hand/wrist when it happened to her.

University of Wisconsin's sports medicine website says a Scaphoid (Navicular) fracture requires 3-4 months to heal without surgery for non-displaced fractures, and longer if it's a displaced fracture which usually requires surgery of some sort.