Atenzan

Basho Talk - Aki Basho 2016 +++ Spoiler Alert! +++

9 hours ago, Harry said:

Where do you see Kakuryu? I think he is more versatile but if he was able to string together a jun-yusho and a yusho for the promotion then I'd say that Giku has or had a chance as well, though very small and perhaps zero by now.

According to the database Kak has used 36 different Kimarite and his two top Kimarite (Yorikiri and Hatakikomi) only make up 40% of his wins. Note that they represent both forward and backward moving sumo. So I reckon his results fit my thesis, in that he is more versatile and thus able to adapt mid-match. Before he became a Yok I said he had the least chance of all the Ozeki of grabbing the rope, but his sumo is obviously adaptable and capable of evolving. This may be one (and I stress only one of a number of factors) that allowed him to make the next level.

One of the things I love about sumo is how hard it is to make it to Yokozuna. In the last 26 years there have only been nine promotions. It is freakishly hard to achieve, harder perhaps than achieving the top level in almost any other sport. So many factors have to come together at the right time to make it happen. Its hard enough to become an Ozeki, and from there it is a quantum leap to get the rope. We tend to discuss quite casually the chances of various rikishi to achieve different levels without considering what it actually means to get there. Many of us on the forum apply western ideas about winning and sporting achievement that suggest that being an Ozeki is somehow not good enough, and that if an Ozeki doesn't eventually get to Yokozuna then they have failed in some way. But getting to Ozeki is a massive achievement in and of itself. Kise may never get the rope, but there is no shame in that, because he is operating in rarified air already as an Ozeki, an achievement that the vast majority of rikishi will never get to. I hope he eventually gets the rope, but if he doesn't then we shouldn't consider it a failure - he has had a storied career.

• Like 8

Aminishiki nodowa attack, then hatakikomi for KK.(Applauding...)

edit: Earlier, Kotoeko down Onosho but Daiki fend off Kitataiki for the title. 

Edited by rhyen

Ura attempted an Izori on Azumaryu, twisted his way out, escaped being dropped before pushing Azumaryu out for a win.

Yes, that was rather comical. He needs to retire that. In makuuchi they'll hurt him bad for that.

Congrats to Sato too. 10-5 after a 1-4 start.

Kyokushuho henkas his way to a KK. Congrats. :-P

Endo gets 13-2, very nice. Kotoyuki gets 10 wins. WOOT!

• Like 1

Shodai gets to 7-8 after an 0-7 start. Heck of a MK.

• Like 1

Shodai doing really well recovering from the 0-7 start to at least make it to 7-8. Would have been really cool to see him pull off the 0-7 -> 8-7, but oh well.

5 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Shodai gets to 7-8 after an 0-7 start. Heck of a MK.

+1.   He did well and should retain his rank or close to it.

35 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Endo gets 13-2, very nice. Kotoyuki gets 10 wins. WOOT!

Endo looked impressive on his way to 13 kachi.   No gimmies, just excellent work even going against the upper ranks.   Looking forward to his next basho. 

Edited by robnplunder

Tells you just how good Shodai is. The pressure must have been crazy, he is probably M3 East next basho, or West.

Tamawashi was impressive this basho, 10-5 third time he has boasted 10-5 record in Makuuchi. Kotoyuuki similarly 10-3.

Endo got the crazy 13-2 record. Should have won Yusho with that, will jump right up to Maegashira 1 or 2.

Daiki got the title, that is faster speed than Ura or Sato's rise in Juryo. Will be Makuuchi next basho, undeniably.

Edited by Jyuunomori

Yeah, Yoshikaze!   He gets his 7th win and this line from Frank Sinatra's My Way comes to my mind.

"The record shows I took the blows and did it my way"

Okinoumi improves to 9-7. Did the aliens come back? Should have never given us back the empty husk who only loses.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jyuunomori said:

Okinoumi improves to 9-7. Did the aliens come back? Should have never given us back the empty husk who only loses.

3 kinboshi in the last 2 basho - not too shabby. 

• Like 1

Damn Ikioi lost! KK! Plus Kaisei added insult to injury by landing on top of him off the doyho.

Edited by Rocks

1 hour ago, rhyen said:

Ura attempted an Izori on Azumaryu, twisted his way out, escaped being dropped before pushing Azumaryu out for a win.

Sounds familiar.  :-)

Mitakeumi Sanyaku desu!!!!  (pardon my attempt at Nihon-go).

Shin-Komusubi Mitakeumi and Aoiyama will most likely be the second Komusubi.

Takayasu needs 12 wins or more to be promoted. Jun-Yusho would do it.

There were 50 viewers on sherming22 in mitakeumi-takarafuji , now in Goeidou we have 332 and growing. Fun to know how people are excited about this.

So Hakuho is now done with possessing Goeidou since his job is done, and he still won the zensho-yusho he is used to. hahahaha

Jokes apart, Congratz Goeidou, not sure if the absence of Hakuho was a relevant factor in his innner pressure this basho, since he did even better than the last one, but is good to see that he can be that agressive and dominant as well.

Kise gets 10 wins. Good, Terrorfuji tries the lamest henka ever. Pays for it. Kadoban in November. I hope he gets healthy and a better mindset.

Call it hypocrisy, but being honest here, even understanding the use of Henka in Sumo, i only found it amusing when Aminishiki does it. The other rikishi don't wear it so well with so much willyness, haha. If is already sad watch Terunofuji Struggle and bring a double digit loss again, is much more sad watch him attempt a henka in the last day and fail.