Atenzan

Basho Talk - Aki Basho 2016 +++ Spoiler Alert! +++

This basho rankings were uneasy to predict. I mean, that's why sumo is beautiful. And the new generation is getting great. Mitakeumi above all. Shodai... next ozeki, as someone stated... wow... Endo, he may be back on his track. Exciting...

4 hours ago, Rocks said:

Yes, you can see him counting them here:

f_09508147.jpg

Looks like he is counting something else to me... ;-)

• Like 1

Does anyone out there believe Goeido will win the Yusho?

15 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

I dont think so! I would say about half of his wins so far were solid, the rest not so much even some very close calls in there...

53 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

With 10 and 0 record, it's his to lose.   But I doubt he will win the trophy.   I expect Harumafusi to repeat. 

On 9/20/2016 at 03:31, robnplunder said:

Endo is making a believer out of me.  He looked good today.

Endo's current performance is on par with what he has done historically at the low Maegashira ranks.

Just look at his previous 2 basho...11-4 at M15 in May, then 3-12 at M6 in July.

Granted, he's never started at 9-1 in makuuchi, but across tournaments he's not really showing any major improvement.

Endo, what ever you may think of him, is finally healthy.  I predict 12 wins, followed by a healthy promotion into the joi. How many matches he wins in Kyushu is, of course, the $64,000 question.

Endo's right level seems to be about M7 or so.   

IMO, the best match of the day at 10 was Tochinoshin vs Takanoiwa.  That was fun to watch.

3 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

Endo, what ever you may think of him, is finally healthy.  I predict 12 wins, followed by a healthy promotion into the joi. How many matches he wins in Kyushu is, of course, the $64,000 question.

I question if he really is fully healthy again. I consider someone who has torn an anterior cruciate knee ligament and has not had surgery to repair it to still have a doubtful prognosis. According to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, torn ACLs can be successfully treated without surgery on those who show "no symptoms of knee instability during low-demand sports who are willing to give up high-demand sports". Sumo is definitely a high demand activity--an extremely high demand one. 

So far, Endo has faced lower ranked rikishis and has done quite well. Whether he can continue to be successful against higher ranking rikishis during the remainder of this basho and in future bashos seems to me to be questionable. I would feel much better about his chances if he had this success on a surgically repaired knee. Each time he competes, I have a fear that something will happen to cause him to injure his knee again, causing him to go back to square one. I hope I'm wrong and that his success will continue--but I have my doubts.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

I think if it came down to a playoff Kise would beat him and Ama would beat him.

4 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

He may be great now but the risk of re injury with his course of treatment is pretty high.

That Daiki/Onosho bout has to be the quickest ever.

Hehe, Kitaharima out uraed Ura. 

First Makuuchi bout of the day, gold hat man clambers into the box centre view and completely obscures the vision of the woman sitting there. She's having to lean away to one side now to watch the action.

A new Maegashira Chiyoshoma henkaing in his 1st basho is just wrong IMHO. I hope he goes MK. 

• Like 1

Looks like Harumafuji's next Tsuyaharai will be either Daishomaru or Endo.

Takekaze performs a perfect Harumafuji non-henka on Gagmaru leaving him shaking his head.

Pouty Gagamaru was waiting for a monoii that never came, even delaying his return to the hanamichi and the video replay terminal. 

1 minute ago, rhyen said:

Pouty Gagamaru was waiting for a monoii that never came, even delaying his return to the hanamichi and the video replay terminal. 

Obviously thinks that a hansoku should have been called for the hair pull.

Today's matchup between Kise and Goeido is pretty huge for Kise's future, isn't it?

If he wins, he's one off the pace and still in the yusho conversation; if he loses, he's three off the pace and probably not even in the jun-yusho picture, and bye-bye for now his yokozuna hopes. That's a lot riding on one bout.

1 hour ago, Rocks said:

Hehe, Kitaharima out uraed Ura. 

Kitaharima! U R A heck of a fighter!

• Like 1

If Mitakeumi tacks on more wins he could be looking at sanyaku promotion next basho. Terunofuji seems to be back to being injured Terunofuji. Get off kadoban, take the next basho off and get your treatment done. It's painful to watch Teru struggle like this.

• Like 1