Atenzan

Basho Talk - Aki Basho 2016 +++ Spoiler Alert! +++

3 hours ago, Rocks said:

Speaking of runs, if Okinoumi beats Goeido is it likely he'll have to face the entire sanyaku by the end of the basho? Or will he skip the komusubi since they are doing so poorly?

M1 vs K bouts typically happen relatively early, most of the time by Day 11 - so, scheduled after at most 9 days, when the komusubi usually aren't makekoshi yet even if they're doing very badly. In other words, normally there's no reason to skip those matchups. However, Okinoumi's runaway performance is not exactly a typical M1 result, so the usual rules probably won't apply here...I would guess he'll immediately get the two sekiwake after Goeido, and if he's still going strong after Day 8 they'll put him against every well-performing maegashira they can find, rather than the komusubi duo. If he falls out of the yusho race, he'll probably get the komusubi eventually.

37 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

M1 vs K bouts typically happen relatively early, most of the time by Day 11 - so, scheduled after at most 9 days, when the komusubi usually aren't makekoshi yet even if they're doing very badly. In other words, normally there's no reason to skip those matchups. However, Okinoumi's runaway performance is not exactly a typical M1 result, so the usual rules probably won't apply here...I would guess he'll immediately get the two sekiwake after Goeido, and if he's still going strong after Day 8 they'll put him against every well-performing maegashira they can find, rather than the komusubi duo. If he falls out of the yusho race, he'll probably get the komusubi eventually.

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. If he's still undefeated after the sekiwake he'll get whatever maegashira has the best record.  If he goes 15-0 against that it would be one of the most amazing Yushos ever IMHO.

34 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Before Kyokushuho today, it had been 17 years since the last time a maegashira got a freebie win against a juryo visitor, with the last 8 successive fusen going the other way.

He'll need that extra days rest. He's got Endo next and he's looking very tough.

4 hours ago, Gurowake said:

Shonannoumi is now at 3-0 at his highest rank near the top of Sandanme.  I've been following him since he made it to Sd at 16 years old (actually, when he went 6-1 in Jonidan in his second basho and made the top echelon of Jonidan before turning 16 and a half), and until the beginning of this year he hadn't made a KK in Sd.  Now he has 4 in a row and needs only 1 more win for a 5th and a Makushita debut at 18 years old.

He comes from just down the road from me, the lad!  I follow him, too!

Okinoumi has that winning feeling...and that is big in sumo...but any single member of the non-ozeki/yokozuna group is perfectly capable of beating him.  He'll drop a bout or two...and then Ama/Kise will be back in with a shout. The same of course applies to Geoido.

The second week will be very exciting!

Edited by Pandaazuma

23 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

Okinoumi has that winning feeling...and that is big in sumo...but any single member of the non-ozeki/yokozuna group is perfectly capable of beating him.  He'll drop a bout or two...and the Ama/Kise will be back in with a shout. The same of course applies to Geoido.

The second week will be very exciting!

Fully agree that the 2nd week will be very exciting.

The good news for Oki is that he got most of the hardest opponents out of the way.   Bad news for Goeido is that he hasn't.   He only fought rikishi below Ozeki rank so far.  I'd bet that Oki finishes with more wins than Goeido, win or lose to Goeido or not.

Aminishiki wins again, 4-3. Astounding. 

Wow! Ishiura beat Amuru! That is a huge win for him. 6-1. Although it's clear Amuru's left knee is pretty bad.

Edited by Rocks

Ura loses again. 2-5. Needs to win 6 of 8 to get his KK. It ain't happening. 

Seems like his balance is off. When he goes low, people can slap him down.

when he is high, they can push him out. 

1 hour ago, Rocks said:

Aminishiki wins again, 4-3. Astounding. 

Asahisho took the henka for Aminishiki (even with one of the most glaring hands off the shikiri line).

2 minutes ago, rhyen said:

Asahisho took the henka for Aminishiki

Misread this as "Asashio" initially. Did a double-take there.

It must be so frustrating have the chance to turn things and just lose your balance. Can feel the anger from terunofuji from here.

Goeido will win the Yusho it seems. Both men are unbelievable.

Shame about setting the historical sweeping record though.

• Like 1

I wanted to Okinoumi to had this one so badly but deep there i knew that Goeidou is really on fire and the pressure (as someone said before) was a huge factor for both of them but specially heavy on Okinoumi shoulders. When Okinoumi was able to run away from the border and get back to the middle of the dohyo my heart was in my mouth! damn this was exciting to see!!

22 minutes ago, MrGrumpyGills said:

Terunofuji hops out on his own? :O

He lost his balance, when he got there the impulse was already throwing him out, he just stepped out because his body was already moving foward. If Amakaze had possessed him in thad moment he could have turned around, but in that split second he was just responding to the movement.

14 minutes ago, taresu said:

He lost his balance, when he got there the impulse was already throwing him out, he just stepped out because his body was already moving foward. If Amakaze had possessed him in thad moment he could have turned around, but in that split second he was just responding to the movement.

I know :)
One time I was running to catch a train but had to stop at a traffic light on the way to the station, almost jumped out into the road in front of the cars, barely able to halt the momentum. So I know how that feels.

Edited by MrGrumpyGills
  • Like 1

I just LOVE to watch harumafuji fight. Just beautiful how he was able to turn Myougiryu. Hopefully (what a awful thing to say in this situation) Goeidou will lose his fire after his kachikoshi and eventually we will have Okinoumi and Harumafuji back on the run. Man second week will be really great!

• Like 2

Kakuryu is turning a quite awful yokozuna, isn't he. Low average of wins as a yokozuna, pretty much ozeki quality, arguably his best years behind him, being 31, not a single time went over 12 wins. I'm not even counting those bashos where he retired early.

I wonder if they are going to start ''pressuring'' Kakuryuu soon? I mean he looks like a struggling Ozeki most of the time, not a Yokozuna.

• Like 1