Jejima

Guess Kisenosato's Aite (S1W Takarafuji) - September 2016

Time to vote on the rikishi to be our 'Kisenosato' for this basho.

I've looked back in the records, and over the past 6 bashos, an M2 rikishi has been chosen 5 times, and an M1 once.  These are all from the same region of 'upper joi-jin'.  So for variety, the three rikishi for the vote will be either sanyaku (easier - until the kyujos start happening...) or lower joi-jin (probably more tricky)....

So, please pick in your order of preference from the following three rikishi....

S1W Takarafuji

K1E Kaisei

M3W Ichinojo

Edited by Jejima
Putting Takarafuji into the title.

Takarafuji

Kaisei

The rest of the top-16-ranked rikishi

Ichinojo

Do I want to go 2-13 and see the Kyokai get a 7-win yusho? Apparently I do.

Ichi. Ichi

2. Takarakubi

3. Kaisei

• Like 1

there seems to be First-Joe (Ersthans) haters & lovers....

andonishiki belongs to the second group

isegahama rikishi have it easier anyway, so better pick others

1. Ichinojo

2. Kaisei

3. Sokokurai

The basho is fast approaching, so time to set up this game.

The result of the vote (by my method of calculation), had Ichinojo as marginally the favourite.

BUT, I am making a rijicho's decision, and making second-placed Takarafuji as the target rikishi.

Why? Because of this thread.....

It seems that there is a good possibility that Ichinojo will be kyujo for this basho - and if he does turn up, he may go kyujo during the basho.  (From past experience, kyujo rikishi generally remove a day of play from the game.

I hope this is okay with everyone.  I will set the game up now. :-)

Announcing the September 2016 edition of Guess Kisenosato's Aite.... But for S1W Takarafuji....

All you have to do is guess S1W Takarafuji's opponent each day, before the torikumi comes out. If you guess correctly, you get a shiroboshi. This is surprisingly more fun (or frustrating) and challenging than it should be. It also gets you to think a bit more about the 'inner-workings' of sumo.

Here is the current banzuke:-

Jakusotsu (Y1E 8-7) Y1

Kuroimori (O1W 10-5) O1 Andonishiki (O2W 9-6)

chishafuwaku (O1E 5-10) O2 Gurowake (S1E 10-5)

Tenshinhan (S1W 7-8) S1 Profomisakari (K1E 7-8)

Ryoshishokunin (M1W 9-6) K1 Gernobono (M2E 8-7) 

Jejima (M1E kosho) M1 McBugger (M3W 7-8)

orandashoho (S2E 4-11) M2 Kaiomitsuki (K1W 4-11)

shimodahito (M2W 4-11) M3 The Kyokai (M4E 2-13)

PhorCillic (M3E 1-1-13) M4

Comments:

Jakusotsu (although going KK) once again just missed out on getting an Ozeki Quality Performance. We urge him to strive to challenge for the yusho in September.

Kuroimori will be considered for promotion to Yokozuna if he wins the yusho in September.

chishafuwaku is kadoban, and will require a KK performance in September to keep his Ozeki rank. 

Shin-Ozeki Gurowake has won the past two yushos. So, despite the fact that this will be his first basho at the rank of Ozeki, he will also be considered for promotion to Yokozuna if he wins the yusho in September.

Ever since we included 'The Kyokai' on the banzuke, I have been including its results in the calculation for the KK and OQ lines.  However, as 'The Kyokai' always goes MK (I think), this skews the lines downwards.  Therefore, from next basho onwards, I will no longer include 'The Kyokai' in these calculations. 

The rules are as follows:-
1. Guess S1W Takarafuji's opponents on each day of the basho.
2. Entries need to be in before 11:30 am Japan time on the previous day, except for the days 1 and 2 entries which need to be in before 11:30 am Japan time on the Friday prior to the start of the basho. If it turns out that the daily toriukumi is printed before these times, then any entry proved to have come afterwards is not allowed for that day (so enter early to be safe).
3. Tie-breakers to decide the Yusho.... We look at the result of the day 15 prediction, then day 14, and so on back to day 1. If still a tie, then the highest ranked on the banzuke can claim the Yusho.
4. If Takarafuji goes kyujo during the basho, we switch to S1E Takayasu (K1E Kaisei, then K1W Tochiozan kept further in reserve, if needed due to a mass spate of kyujos) for the days after his fusensho loss (I.e. we can still guess who gets the freebie). For the immediate day afterwards, (unless it is known very soon after the event), everyone will get a 'kyujo'.
5. Players that are leading the Yusho race (especially in the final few days of the basho), are requested / expected to get their picks in very early (before all the other players, if possible) - in order to avoid suspicions of 'tactical picking'.

Special prizes (many thanks to Yaochoyama):

1. Outstanding performance (shukun-sho) - the one who correctly picks the aite the most consecutive days. You have to have a minimum of three to win this prize.

2. Fighting spirit (kanto-sho) - the one who limits their incorrect aite picks to the shortest number of consecutive days (literally the one whose longest losing streak is the shortest). Any losing streak of 5 or more days would disqualify you from this prize.

3. Technique (gino-sho) - the one who is best at making correct picks when no one, or hardly anyone else does. A point system is used as follows and you need at least 3 points to claim this prize:

3 points if you're the only win to make the correct pick
2 points if you're one of two to make the correct pick
1 point if you're one of three to make the correct pick

New players ((Order, order!)) are cordially invited to this game - it is an official second league © game!

Do we submit the picks in this thread?

If so,

Day 1- Kakuryuu

Day 2- Tochinoshin

P.S. Thank you Jezz-rijicho for supporting my tiny new game!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jejima said:

The rules are as follows:-
1. Guess S1W Takarafuji's opponents on each day of the basho.

• Like 1

I don't know if we'll know for sure whether Hakuho and/or Ichinojo will withdraw before the deadline for this game, and I doubt I'll be able to check out the latest news right as the deadline happens.  Hopefully conditional entries based on kyujo announcements are acceptable.

Hakuho does not withdraw before the deadline for this game:

1. Kakuryu

2. Shodai

Hakuho withdraws before the deadline for this game:

1. Ichinojo (If Ichinojo also withdraws before the deadline, Myogiryu)

2. Takanoiwa

1 hour ago, chishafuwaku said:

Day 1: Takanoiwa

Day 2: Takanoiwa

chishafuwaku

A Takanoiwa double-header? 

5 hours ago, hamcornheinz said:

I've been in this forum for about an year and I still have no idea what this game is. 

The clue is in the title!

For the upper ranked players (especially the Yokozunas) the daily match-ups have some predictability (I find that looking at the match-ups for previous bashos over at Sumo Reference is a useful tool.).  

On Friday, the torikumi (match-ups) for days 1 and 2 will be announced for the Makunouchi Division.  Before the announcement, can you predict who they will match-up against Sekiwake Takarafuji for the first two days?  If yes, let us know who you predict in an entry below.

4 hours ago, Gurowake said:

I don't know if we'll know for sure whether Hakuho and/or Ichinojo will withdraw before the deadline for this game, and I doubt I'll be able to check out the latest news right as the deadline happens.  Hopefully conditional entries based on kyujo announcements are acceptable.

We have often had some 'formula or other' for entry to this game - usually if someone is travelling, and has to enter 2 or 3 days in advance.

I think (especially) that due to questionable status of Hakuho (and to a lesser extent, Ichinojo) before the basho starts that an entry such as the one given by Gurowake is not only acceptable, but probably also advisable! 

pls give me kosho-status for aki basho

Edited by Gernobono

Like gurowake, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be unable to check the last-minute news:

If Hakuho's kyojo:

1. Ichinojo (if he's kyujo too, Myogiryu)

2. Shodai

If Hakuho's not Kyujo:

1. Kakuryu

2. Shodai