Exil

Forum Update Feedback (v4)

Computers shouldn't be that complicated.

Edited by Bumpkin
  • Like 1

On 7.9.2016 at 23:27, Asojima said:

Edit:  Also, the Color and Size options are missing from the signature editor.

The content editor comes in three different sizes, normal, medium, and small (responsive design, you see). The signature editing screen uses the medium editor, which can't fit any more buttons than it currently has.

On 7.9.2016 at 23:52, Bumpkin said:

Exil, I think you are doing a great job administrating this forum. Thank you. I have to ask, why did you change your profile picture? I hadn't seen anyone age that quickly since Laura Palmer's father on Twin Peaks. Bumpkin.

Thank you. Unfortunately, the update did take its toll on me.

On 9.9.2016 at 10:13, Asashosakari said:

The popup for inserting a link appears to be bugged. You can put in a URL such as this one, and it works, but when you try to go back to edit the link, you find that the URL has been truncated like this.

Reported issue.

On 9.9.2016 at 18:25, Benihana said:

Poll-threads can't be closed. Only moderation-option is "delete".

Correct, only moderators are able to close threads. This is "working as intended", as far as IPS is concerned.

On 11.9.2016 at 12:37, egparis18 said:

Last week I could get images into posts or PMs from a photo-hosting site. If I try now, and I've tried from three different sites, via Google Chrome, it just goes pink when I click on 'Insert into post'. I can still embed videos or insert an image directly from the net but if I want to post my own images out of my computer I can't.

Are you sure you aren't exceeding your storage capacity? Our storage space and bandwidth are limited, so unfortunately we can only offer a very minimal image storage for our members. For regular image uploads, please use an image hosting service (e.g. Imgur).

On 21.9.2016 at 17:23, Akinomaki said:

I found at last a way to get rid of those empty tables, but one needs a not-table text line before the table for this.

The next minor version update includes a new version of CKEditor. I can't promise anything, but let's hope it fixes at least some issues with the editor.

On 22.9.2016 at 08:57, Jakusotsu said:

Edit: Scratch it! I just realized that everybody *can* open new topics but not reply to existing ones, which is surely *not* working as intended.

Hm, so it seems. I've fixed that.

4 hours ago, egparis18 said:

How come Inhashi can only see this where I just posted a pic of GoeidoScreenshot_12.png   

You are probably seeing a cached copy of your own image. Note that the stop sign is not caused by the forum software but Google+.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Exil said:

Are you sure you aren't exceeding your storage capacity? Our storage space and bandwidth are limited, so unfortunately we can only offer a very minimal image storage for our members. For regular image uploads, please use an image hosting service (e.g. Imgur).

I have been using an image hosting service. I have in fact tried three different ones, including imgur. The forum no longer accepts images from them. It did before but it doesn't now. That's what I was complaining about. I'm not trying to use images from my storage capacity.

Are there any known limitations on the size of inserted tables? After I had to split up the huge collegiate sekitori tables in the 2012 update, I wonder if it's possible to go with single tables again as in the original version of the thread?

(Also, for those who've looked at those threads in the past, did you prefer the full or the split tables?)

On 22.9.2016 at 07:57, Jakusotsu said:

That's intentional. That section of the forum has been "read only" as long as I can remember.

(Probably to keep it free of chaff and purely informational.)

Edit: Scratch it! I just realized that everybody *can* open new topics but not reply to existing ones, which is surely *not* working as intended.

"Sumo Information" has the same issue as "Featured Rikishi & Heya" had before Exil fixed it (whatever "it" was), which means I've been able to edit all the tables back into form in the collegiate sekitori thread, but I can't post a status update about it to the thread...

Edited by Asashosakari

Some weird post time stamps on the front page right now...there's one topic marked "Yesterday at 23:12" and another marked "Thursday at 00:02", but the "yesterday" post was actually made 50 minutes earlier, i.e. on Wednesday in my time zone, while the Thursday one should probably say "yesterday" instead.

Perhaps relevant info: This post was made Friday 01:39 in my time zone.

Edited by Asashosakari

I tried to embed 2 in the past not embed-able pics in this new thread

The first was in the preview but afterwards did not show and the pic in the end shows a very strange behavior of escaping the post.

Edit: now the first appears, and the outbreak of the others is large-scale

Edited by Akinomaki

Forum software has been updated to the latest version, which includes -- among other things -- fixes to embedding content.

• Like 2

I only now realized that some go-to-link arrows of quotes in posts made before the switch to v4 no longer open the quoted post, but an error page to report Error code: 2S226/4

namely all those in this topic

Edited by Akinomaki

On 21.10.2016 at 00:09, Exil said:

Forum software has been updated to the latest version, which includes -- among other things -- fixes to embedding content.

Those fixes so far only brought me a new error. Every-time I paste a Sponichi link, I get:

• The link could not be embedded because of an unexpected error: OK: .

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2016/10/28/kiji/K20161028013613970.html

The link is OK though: only the "Remove format?" question won't appear in that case - no loss at all.

"Insert image from URL" often still won't work, the "Insert into post" button stays black and nothing happens with the pasted URL - and this not just with those addresses that have no www. at the start. Pasting the URL directly into the post embeds the pic much better and faster - but it needs the http part: in the "Insert" window you usually don't need it - that comes in handy with my locally saved pics.

Even pasting the pic URL directly sometimes doesn't embed the pic though - in that case I have to use "copy graphic" and paste it into the post as image. I try to avoid that, because some eerie code might get copied along with it, like in my Escaping pics test thread.

Edited by Akinomaki

In some nested quotes - made with the "quote this" popup button - either the nested part can't be edited and is like an image, or the date is wrong - not from the original nested post, but the surrounding recent post.

It is connected to the error above

On 26.10.2016 at 16:40, Akinomaki said:

some go-to-link arrows of quotes in posts made before the switch to v4 no longer open the quoted post, but an error page to report Error code: 2S226/4

I guess it affects all posts from new topics of that time around the forum conversion.

The nested quote in the post that had the problem also leads to the error page and not to the page of the quote.

The faulty address in the nested quote: http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/?app=core&module=system&controller=content&do=find&content_class=forums_Topic&content_id=35579&content_commentid=307451

In the proper quote: http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/?app=core&module=system&controller=content&do=find&content_class=forums_Topic&content_id=35412&content_commentid=307451

the address of the surrounding quote: http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/?app=core&module=system&controller=content&do=find&content_class=forums_Topic&content_id=35579&content_commentid=311755

This post has some problems as well: I removed (or at least tried to do it) the links in the URLs, but they returned (at least the parts with changed style remained free of them) - and the "Edited just now by Akinomaki" comment entered the post as part of it, to have 2 of that now. It surely won't get updated automatically though, like the one below.

Edited just now by Akinomaki
Edited by Akinomaki

I just noticed there's no way to track my sent messages anymore. There's only the Inbox content now.

25 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

I just noticed there's no way to track my sent messages anymore. There's only the Inbox content now.

Yep, there's no 'sent' file any more, but ...

Have you tried using 'filter by' and 'sort by' to track them?

Also, you can add a folder - click on the arrow next to 'Inbox' at top left to select  'add folder'. You could perhaps add a 'sent' folder and move messages into it yourself to be able to track them.

You can see right up at the top of the page if your correspondant has read a message you've sent , but if you've got a long history, and your message is way down at the bottom of the page, that means going back to the top to see if it's been read.

Hope this is useful.

Edited by egparis18

False alarm. The message I sent 3 hours ago now mysteriously appeared in my Inbox. I'm 100% sure it wasn't there when I wrote my complaint above.

5 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

I'm 100% sure it wasn't there when I wrote my complaint above.

I'll bet you're right. It's come back from the Sumo Forum event horizon or whatever.

• Like 1

At least one whole thread in Amasumo Discussions was deleted by the forum update - likely more, because I can't find any of the posts anymore about Turbold becoming first ever foreign amateur yokozuna - and there were many.

4 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

(By the way, was there no thread on last year's event at all or did it get deleted? Or was the info bunched into another thread I failed to look at?)

3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

I definitely posted a thread about Turbold winning it - but a search about Turbold jumps from one find on June 7th this year to August 2014. Must have happened with the forum upgrade - like the many threads with quote problems.

I can't find anything on the pages of my own contents either - and some strange jumps of dates in those lists - maybe some 100s of my and other members' posts got deleted with the update.

In my own (partial) backups from before the update, unfortunately each year's December posts are missing.

The new embedding is a nightmare recently: If a YouTube link as link and one as an embedded video is within the text of a full post to paste, all text (+quotes, links & pics) is erased and only one YouTube link gets embedded.

If I paste it in the code window it's this (the first was the link, the embedded is the [Click and dag):

Text

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq31VCziO30

The forum editor blocks inserting of the post I cut and pasted and instead only pasted this here above, an earlier copy. I hope it gets reset when I post this.

It doesn't - It keeps to replace all I paste with that Youtube link. Embedding is a nightmare recently - If a YouTube link is within a text to paste, all is erased and only one link gets embedded.
[Click and drag to move]

otherwise this (the first link):

Edit: the error doesn't appear at the moment, I can paste the post now that got erased before

Edited by Akinomaki

On 28.10.2016 at 11:15, Akinomaki said:

Those fixes so far only brought me a new error. Every-time I paste a Sponichi link, I get:

• The link could not be embedded because of an unexpected error: OK: .

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2016/10/28/kiji/K20161028013613970.html

The link is OK though: only the "Remove format?" question won't appear in that case - no loss at all.

The error only appeared for pages with SJIS encoding - Sponichi has switched to Unicode, but also ChuSpo links like 

http://www.chunichi.co.jp/chuspo/article/sumo/news/CK2016121802000164.html

had the error - no more though, so this appears to have been fixed, also Remove format? appears now.

It didn't really surprise me that the forum wouldn't display links to sites with kanji in the domain name, though at first it is still there when you edit the link and only when you post it, it disappears and leads to the forum start page:

On 17.12.2016 at 12:10, Akinomaki said:

the Japan chanko association is at http://日本ちゃんこ協会.com/

Kanji in the URL otherwise create no problem: http://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/sports/sumou/621774/attachment/鶴竜によりきりで敗れる白鵬/

The annoying part is that "Remove Link" removes it, but saving the post makes it a link again. Either with the "Code" option (not available at edit though) or separated from the http is the only way to have the link stay away (but you can't paste it like that into the browser address line):

http:// 日本ちゃんこ協会.com/

Edited by Akinomaki

Seems to be a problem with Unicode domains in general; the forum engine doesn't like them in decoded form either.

http://%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E3%81%A1%E3%82%83%E3%82%93%E3%81%93%E5%8D%94%E4%BC%9A.com/

http://%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E3%81%A1%E3%82%83%E3%82%93%E3%81%93%E5%8D%94%E4%BC%9A.com/

Edited by Asashosakari

On 8.8.2016 at 11:06, Akinomaki said:

In the Messenger the option to archive a conversation has now disappeared - the function itself had disappeared for quite some time already.

Apart from delete there also is a "Move" selection for messages to group them into folders.

And it appears the messenger devours its capacity quickly now: also received messages fill the quota, so far I never had an increase unless I sent a new topic, and for one topic the number of possible replies was without limit - I guess both isn't the case anymore.

Edited by Akinomaki

Well, the new year has hit server side, and instead of being able to see how long ago everything happened that happened on December 31, I just get told it happened that day.  It's like it can't count pass the border of the year.

I'm a bit bamboozled by the rather inconsistent way in which previous content is restored in the editor window when you want to reply to a post in a thread where you have posted before. Take my daily torikumi thread. Usually I am offered the text I posted yesterday. I say usually, because sometimes I am offered the text I posted on some random other day. On the other hand take my daily heya watch thread. Here I am offered an empty window. I am not aware of having selected any options that would lead to these different behaviours. Is there any rational explanation?

9 minutes ago, Naganoyama said:

Is there any rational explanation?

I have only some poke in the dark explanation: I get that sometimes if I have edited a post. Going back with backspace or the back arrow at the address line after saving the post, the state of editing the post reappears - happens also for new posts. Maybe that sometimes then remains as an autosaved unsent post - and even if later other posts are sent to the thread that get properly cleared from the autosave contents.