Exil

Forum Update Feedback (v4)

4 minutes ago, Exil said:

Post counts were recalculated during the upgrade process. There were some issues with inflated post counts before, they should now be up to date.

Probably owing to some deleted posts that were still counted, I suppose. Anyway, thank you.

The HTML code shows that the editor puts an  after characters followed by more than one blank - that prevents conversion to code for tags - also before a blank when a blank line is created.

The spoiler seemed to be more efficient to me at first, better silent loading in the background, but a page keeps loading visibly for a while, just like with the old spoiler. It looks much nicer though now - avoiding the world spoiler reduces my hate for it. But the search won't find what is in it - also not when searching in the same topic and while having it "revealed" - and it is very hard to make changes at a large picture list in the spoiler with editing the post afterwards - it's paste and forget.

I rather won't use it, except for some forum magic:

All [spoiler  ] this vanishes into oblivion if one of the 2 blanks after spoiler is deleted and another closing square bracket follows in the same paragraph, and ] is gone

do it and

All

is gone

• Like 1

I guess it's a special super administrator privilege - looks very nice what Exil has as background image on the top of the pop-up window with his profile information that appears when you hover with the mouse over the avatar of a member. All other forum staff members just have a black background like ordinary members.

Would be nice to have it as option for all - makes that pop-up more interesting.

Edited by Akinomaki

Unlike BBCode, HTML code pasted into the post won't get processed, neither directly nor in the code window: the old version had a raw text input tag window into which you could paste HTML code, and - in the Personal Message corner even with a <base href="http://"> command and relative links - the pics were displayed correctly. The table tag window did the same. No wonder that was removed and tables even from the BBCode - apparently it allowed too much external control.

We have to copy the resulting display from a browser page and paste that into the post for tables created from code - but the other BBCode still gets processed, mysteriously ...

The short excerpt from the post is no longer displayed in expanded mode in new contents - a pity, that was very helpful. At least now all new posts are listed for the same topic - an improvement compared to only the topic with a very inconsistent display of an excerpt for one post of maybe many.

Edit: excerpts are back again

Edited by Akinomaki

19 hours ago, Exil said:

A high-contrast theme might be an option, but that'll have to wait until we get some other things sorted out first. 

wunderbar

Looks like the positioning bug is back (when you click "first unread" in a topic full of pictures).

It's obvious Exil added the Sig field back because I see sigs on individual messages now, including my own. Would someone please tell me where this field is - I've been looking in my Profile and have not found it.

Edited by Fukurou
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fukurou said:

It's obvious Exil added the Sig field back because I see sigs on individual messages now, including my own. Would someone please tell me where this field is - I've been looking in my Profile and have not found it.

Signature is now a selection under Account Settings.

7 hours ago, Asojima said:

Signature is now a selection under Account Settings.

Thank you. Now I have to figure out why my graphic is no longer acceptable (error says the system can't retrieve its dimensions).

Edit - Never did figure out why, but I ended up just reloading it. Unfortunately, it (or I) managed to nuke my existing sig in the process :(

Has anyone figured out how to turn off auto-notifications? I don't particularly need to know every time someone quotes me tho I imagine others do. I do not have "Notify me of replies" selected on my individual messages.

Edit - I wrote about Sigs being displayed and now they've disappeared again. :(

Edited by Fukurou

31 minutes ago, Fukurou said:

Thank you. Now I have to figure out why my graphic is no longer acceptable (error says the system can't retrieve its dimensions).

Has anyone figured out how to turn off auto-notifications? I don't particularly need to know every time someone quotes me tho I imagine others do. I do not have "Notify me of replies" selected on my individual messages.

Edit - I wrote about Sigs being displayed and now they've disappeared again. :(

Use the notification settings under the notification symbol.  At the bottom of the display, there is a long list of notification choices.  I disabled all of them that I could. I also got rid of most of my follows.  Now all I need is a way to delete/clear the notifications that started showing up with the new version.

6 hours ago, Asojima said:

Use the notification settings under the notification symbol.  At the bottom of the display, there is a long list of notification choices.  I disabled all of them that I could. I also got rid of most of my follows.  Now all I need is a way to delete/clear the notifications that started showing up with the new version.

Those didn't address the notifications I was talking about. Turns out, my issue was through my browser - Firefox asked if I wanted to accept notifications from this site, and apparently I'd clicked Yes. I had to get into the Page Info settings in Firefox and set Notifications there to something other than Allow.

Now here, Notifications settings have a big message on them that Browser Notifications have been disabled, along with instructions on how to re-enable them if I want them back.

Edit - Signatures are displaying for me again.

Edited by Fukurou

There apparently is a "from" parameter in the search, but I don't know how it is used. If it is a date - and not some sort of offset number - and it only accepts a time-stamp as value, it is not really usable. The search result URL now won't contain a readable date, meaning I can't edit  and vary such an address easily anymore.

I wanted to get the topic to put my Ishinriki post into, so I made a title-only search with: from sumo.

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/search/?&q=from sumo&search_in=titles

Now that gets the topic on top because I already have posted there, but with the great new search default of all-words having to match the search and not "any" as before, I was hoping for a more precise list.

Searching for "from sumo" of course got me the right one, but it shouldn't have been necessary - and I don't think it was in the old version - unless "from" is a reserved word for the search.

Edited by Akinomaki

Several items

Concerning the "Unread Content" link to left of "Mark site read" link at the top - I was messing around with the custom activity streams. One custom stream that I created was system-added to the top of the screen, replacing the default link to "Unread Content". When I deleted that custom activity it self-deleted the link that replaced the default "Unread Content" link from that position at the top of the screen. Problem is, the default "Unread Content" link did not reappear. I've not found anywhere to reset the Activity items back to Default - does that exist?

If you are writing a new post in an existing thread (clicked the "Reply to this topic" link at the top or typed in the "Reply to this topic" field at the bottom) or replying to a post in a thread (clicked Quote) there's no way to cancel the post if you need to. The only available option is Submit. Is adding Cancel a possibility?

If you decide to abandon a draft post and leave the forum, assuming it will self-delete, it doesn't self-delete. The next time you click "Reply to this Topic" or "Quote" the abandoned draft reappears. It hangs on even if you login/logout several times. As with the above, there's no option to Cancel, just Submit. (The only way I've found to get rid of the unwanted draft is to submit it then delete it, or delete the contents and use it for something else.)  Is adding Cancel a possibility here too?

Is there any way to change font colors in posts or sig files?  The options available in the editor for Sigs is different from the editor options for posts. Text in posts is dark and readable, but text in signatures created under this update display as a light grey (in the sig editor they display as a black color). I call that shade of grey "irritating grey" - someone creating coding standards must love it because it's everywhere but I find it to be so light that it's difficult to read.

In the Profile settings there's an option to "Enable status updates". What are status updates?

3 hours ago, Fukurou said:

If you decide to abandon a draft post and leave the forum, assuming it will self-delete, it doesn't self-delete. The next time you click "Reply to this Topic" or "Quote" the abandoned draft reappears. It hangs on even if you login/logout several times. As with the above, there's no option to Cancel, just Submit. (The only way I've found to get rid of the unwanted draft is to submit it then delete it, or delete the contents and use it for something else.)  Is adding Cancel a possibility here too?

I like this feature - in the beginning the draft was erased by a reload of the page or by a new quote made, but now it really is persistent. If I don't want it anymore, I click inside the message, do a "select all" with ctrl-A and then backspace or del - that's quicker than to find the buttons below.

To click into some sort of box means only inside that all gets selected and erased - and to click outside selects the whole page and backspace leaves it, which still gives me that old  "Oh no, all is lost" feeling -  so it has to be somewhere in the main part of the post. If you have no real keyboard it might be more tedious that way though than with a "Clear" button.

This persistency feature is very important, because you now can't save the draft anymore in a text note - that was only possible with BBCode.

Edited by Akinomaki

There is a problem in the do=getNewComment for the links in the display of the renewed list of topics on the start page, those with new posts now instead of simply new topics.

If there is no NewComment to get, getNewComment defaults to the top of the thread - the end would be useful. It is obviously only meant for the new-post indicating dot/star - or the name in the unread content window, if you set your option to that. They all disappear if there is no NewComment anymore.

The topics with new posts on the start page stay there after reading them though. I don't know why often some/all are still in bold letters after that and at other times not. If getNewComment can't be set to go to the last post as default if there is no new, those links should better be with do=getLastComment.

I can't find the link to the database or NSK website.

Wow: 

The first three posts in that thread have been sent down the memory hole almost completely in the database conversion. I shudder to think what else in the forum archives might have quietly disappeared now.

Maybe it is just me, but after some summer vacation related hiatus, I find myself completly lost with the updated forum design.

I really wish there will be (or already is, but hidden?) a classic PC desktop view option, as the new surface seems to be a kind of tablet or smartphone mode (which I really do not like at all). >:-(

7 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

The first three posts in that thread have been sent down the memory hole almost completely in the database conversion. I shudder to think what else in the forum archives might have quietly disappeared now.

Looks like a series of blanks (but how many) made the conversion routine cut off the post: in the old version the whole post was in one line of code (I split it at the crucial point):

<!--cached-Tue, 02 Aug 2016 04:22:08 +0000-->Courtesy of the Izutsu-beya homepage and thanks to a hint on 2ch that led me there, here's the hopefully correct unbanzuke. I haven't tried to figure out any of the shikona changes beyond finding which rikishi it actually is, feel free to add guesses or actual knowledge. I've added the last ranks and records, mostly because I like it that way, and perhaps I'm not the only one who could barely remember what these guys did in January so perhaps it's useful for others, too. Anyway...<br />
<br /><span  style='font-family: Lucida Console'><br />Hakuho (Y1e 14-1)             Y     -<br />Kotooshu (O2e 10-5)           O1    Kaio (O1e 9-6)<br />Baruto (O1w 9-6)              O2    Harumafuji (O2w 8-7)<br />Kotoshogiku (S1w 11-4)        S     Kisenosato (S1e 10-5)<br />Kakuryu (K1w 8-7)             K     Toyonoshima (M1e 8-7)<br />Goeido (M5e 11-4)             M1    <br />Homasho (M4e 8-7)             M2    Tochiozan (K1e 6-9)<br />Kitataiki (M8e 9-6)           M3    Aminishiki (M1w 6-9)<br />Okinoumi (M13e 11-4)          M4    Takekaze (M7e 8-7)<br />Aran (M3e 5-10)               M5    Wakanosato (M9w 8-7)<br />Tamawashi (M3w 5-10)          M6    Tochinoshin (M2e 4-11)<br />                              M7    Yoshikaze (M2w 4-11)<br />Kyokutenho (M6e 7-8)          M8    Shotenro (M11e 8-7)<br />Tosayutaka (M7w 7-8)          M9    Asasekiryu (M5w 6-9)<br />                              M10   Wakakoyu (M14e 9-6)<br />                              M11   Tochinowaka (J2w 12-3)<br />                              M12   Toyohibiki (M15w 9-6)<br />                              M13   Tokitenku (M8w 6-9)<br />Gagamaru (M6w 5-10)           M14   Tochinonada (M16w 9-6)<br />Takamisakari (M9e 6-9)        M15   <br />Miyabiyama (M10e 6-9)         M16   Kaisei (J1e 8-7)<br />Kimurayama (M14w 6-9)         M17   -<br />                                    <br />Takayasu (J3e 9-6)            J1    Tamanoshima (J6e 9-6)<br />Bushuyama (J4e 8-7)           J2    <br />Takarafuji (J5e 8-7)          J3    <br />Daido (J8w 9-6)               J4    <br />                              J5    <br />                              J6    Kokkai (M15e 3-12)<br />                              J7    Akiseyama (J10w 8-7)<br />Sadanoumi (J7e 7-8)           J8    Fujiazuma (J13w 8-7)<br />Masunoyama (J14w 8-5-2)       J9    Sadanofuji (J7w 6-9)<br />                              J10   Hochiyama (J10e 7-8)<br />Shironoryu (J5w 4-7-4)        J11   <br />Sagatsukasa (Ms3w 5-2)        J12   Tamaasuka (Ms2w 4-3)<br />Masuraumi (Ms3e 4-3)          J13   Yoshiazuma (J11w 6-9)<br />                              J14   Tsurugidake (J14e 7-8)<br />                                    <br />Aoiyama (Ms5w 4-3)            Ms1   Kakizoe (J9w 4-11)<br />Takanoyama (Ms10w 6-1)        Ms2   Kanbayashi (Ms11e 6-1)<br />Arawashi (Ms6e 4-3)           Ms3   Kaonishiki (Ms8w 5-2)<br />Nionoumi (J12w 5-10)          Ms4   Matsutani (Ms51w 7-0)<br />                              Ms5   Tochitsubasa (Ms13e 5-2)<br />Minami (Ms1w 3-4)             Ms6   Kitaharima (Ms2e 3-4)<br />Sotairyu (Ms10e 4-3)          Ms7   Tokushoryu (Ms16w 5-2)<br />Myogiryu (Ms26w 6-1)          Ms8   Ikioi (Ms5e 3-4)<br />Chiyonokuni (Ms17w 5-2)       Ms9   Tochiyashiki (Ms18e 5-2)<br />Mochimaru (Ms4e 3-5)          Ms10  Hamanishiki (Ms15e 4-3)<br />Takateru (Ms15w 4-3)          Ms11  Tochihiryu (Ms16e 4-3)<br />Kyokushuho (Ms4w 2-5)         Ms12  Rikiryu (Ms20w 5-2)<br />Byakko (Sd13w 7-0)            Ms13  Hokutoriki (J12e 0-0-15)<br />Towanoyama (Ms18w 4-3)        Ms14  Daishoki (Ms36e 6-1)<br />Ryuho (Ms7e 3-4)              Ms15  Naoe (Ms7w 3-4)<br />Meigetsuin                    MsTd  -<br />Oniarashi (Ms38e 6-1)         Ms16  武誠山 (Nakano Ms21w 4-3)<br />Chiyoarashi (Ms42w 6-1)       Ms17  Tokushinho (Ms9e 3-4)<br />Satsumahibiki (Ms28e 5-2)     Ms18  Kitazono (Ms23e 4-3)<br />Aozora (Ms11w 3-4)            Ms19  Wakanoshima (Ms28w 5-2)<br />Higonojo (Ms12e 3-4)          Ms20  Satoyama (Ms24e 4-3)<br />Asahisho (Ms24w 4-3)          Ms21  Hishofuji (Ms29w 5-2)<br />Kasugakuni (Ms25w 4-3)        Ms22  Kumagai (Ms14w 3-4)<br />Nakanokuni (Ms26e 4-3)        Ms23  Kotomisen (Ms33w 5-2)<br />Chiyozakura (Ms35w 5-2)       Ms24  Kotoyutaka (Ms12w 2-5)<br />Yamashita (Ms31e 4-3)         Ms25  <br />Kotokuni (Ms13w 2-5)          Ms26  Daishoumi (Ms14e 2-5)<br />Ryuden (Ms33e 4-3)            Ms27  Teraomaru (Ms40w 5-2)<br />                              Ms28  Kagamio (Ms9w 1-6)<br />Sakaguchi (Ms34e 4-3)         Ms29  Terashita (Ms34w 4-3)<br />Kotoyuki (Ms45e 5-2)          Ms30  Takanoiwa (Ms21e 3-4)<br />Hokuo (Ms22e 3-4)             Ms31  Ryuo (Ms22w 3-4)<br />Chokozan (Sd7e 6-1)           Ms32  Wakaryusei (Ms39e 4-3)<br />Sakigake (Ms17e 2-5)          Ms33  Seiro (Ms25e 3-4)<br />Sensho (Ms49e 5-2)            Ms34  Kihonoumi (Ms41e 4-3)<br />Hakiai (Ms19w 2-5)            Ms35  Araumi (Ms41w 4-3)<br />Dairaido (Ms27e 3-4)          Ms36  Saishin (Sd15e 6-1)<br />Kazafuzan (Ms53w 5-2)         Ms37  Kei (Ms30w 3-4)<br />Migikataagari (Ms44w 4-3)     Ms38  Daishoyama (Ms23w 2-5)<br />Yotsuguruma (Ms54w 5-2)       Ms39  Chiyootori (Ms32e 3-4)<br />Kosei (Sd18w 6-1)             Ms40  Fukunohana (Ms32w 3-4)<br />Fukugoriki (Ms47e 4-3)        Ms41  Takakiho (Ms47w 4-3)<br />Tenroku (Ms58w 5-2)           Ms42  Toyonokuni (Ms50w 4-3)<br />Tokitsukasa (Ms27w 2-5)       Ms43  Homarefuji (Ms37e 3-4)<br />Futeno (Ms37w 3-4)            Ms44  Azumaryu (Ms20e 1-6)<br />Kamei (Ms29e 2-5)             Ms45  Tamao (Ms38w 3-4)<br />Daikamifusa (Ms53e 4-3)       Ms46  Shoketsu (Sd2w 5-2)<br />Katsunofuji (Sd4e 5-2)        Ms47  Higoarashi (Ms55e 4-3)<br />Maeta (Ms40e 3-4)             Ms48  Ryujinsakari (Sd6e 5-2)<br />Nankairiki (Ms58e 4-3)        Ms49  Matsumoto (Ms59w 4-3)<br />                              Ms50  Ryuonami (Sd14e 5-2)<br />Tokachiumi (Ms36w 2-5)        Ms51  Tenichi (Sd1e 4-3)<br />                              Ms52  Notozakura (Sd38e 6-1)<br />Kobo (Sd1w 4-3)               Ms53  Kairyu (Ms45w 3-4)<br />Asabenkei (Sd16w 5-2)         Ms54  Kaishin (Sd2e 4-3)<br />Takatoshi (Ms39w 2-5)         Ms55  Akinokawa (Sd5w 4-3)<br />Musashiumi (Ms48e 3-4)        Ms56  Yamatofuji (Ms49w 3-4)<br />Chiyomaru (Sd7w 4-3)          Ms57  Asatenmai (Sd20e 5-2)<br />Taika (Sd8e 4-3)              Ms58  Amatsu (Sd9w 4-3)<br />Kaorufuji (Sd25w 5-2)         Ms59  Kawanari (Ms51e 3-4)<br />Tochinohama (Sd12w 4-3)       Ms60  Takunishiki (Ms52e 3-4)<br /></span>

in that case, really a lot of posts may have been swallowed by the black hole.

The new code splits at paragraphs:

<p>Courtesy of the Izutsu-beya homepage and thanks to a hint on 2ch that led me there, here's the hopefully correct unbanzuke. I haven't tried to figure out any of the shikona changes beyond finding which rikishi it actually is, feel free to add guesses or actual knowledge. I've added the last ranks and records, mostly because I like it that way, and perhaps I'm not the only one who could barely remember what these guys did in January so perhaps it's useful for others, too. Anyway...</p>
<p><span style="font-family:'Lucida Console';">Hakuho (Y1e 14-1)</span></p>

Edited by Akinomaki

Some tables in old kensho threads don't really look good:

In all my money banzuke tables the first empty cell - but only that - gets a [/td] as display.

Table support in this version is a bit confusing:

I can't get rid of the table element if I paste one into the post by copying something from a table, like this from the quoted page:

[/td]

only the text inside can be erased, but not the table element - can be stretched though. If selected it says on mouse-over: "Enter your text; hold ctrl and right click for more options" - difficult to do that, and this has no delete, just "paste" and "paste without formatting".

In the notifications settings, "Someone 'likes' something I posted" can't be disabled. This notification in particular is quite pointless since you can't even see who likes it.

On 2016年8月8日 at 00:22, Gurowake said:

The gender issue is to ameliorate the problem with not knowing which gendered pronoun to refer to people with that you only know as users on the board.  If you don't list a gender, you effectively are saying you don't care if people use the wrong gendered pronoun to refer to you.

Unfortunately I have been made 'Male' -- the original Orion was, but I'm definitely all woman. I am, however, delighted that the "Warning points 0" has been removed, since it dates from the time when a notorious troll attacked me, I asked for clarification,  and we were both warned not to quarrel in public. I defended myself with the result that the point was removed but the classification remained. 

Orion