Exil

Forum Update Feedback (v4)

I'm glad the full profile contents at each post were removed from the display again - I was about to complain and would have been forced to move all to "About me" if that had continued. And it's a relief that it's completely gone from the PMs - that was always annoying.

The remaining display is OK - but not necessary: there are profile links everywher e- having people check there if gender and location are provided is a nice way to increase profile views. And there also is that pop-up window which tells when you joined and what you're doing right now:  moving gender and location there would also improve the display.

edit: here I got my hands on the editor flaw on edit: "everywher e-" was defintely still "everywhere -" when I saved the edit

Edited by Akinomaki

There is a wonderful dark blue line above Akinomaki's last post, which I think would be great if it went between all posts. Yes the background is visible, but to me on my cpu right now, its barely visible. Also, I thought swearing was banned?

I now increasingly get the editor fall into a loop if I want to want to send a message - especially after I got the pop-up notification that a new post has been made and display it:

Saving... stays grey and never saves. You can copy your message (if you still don't trust the autosave), re-open the thread and can send it only then. The new post topic link on the right of the top page brought me to page one of it though - in spite of pretending on mouse-over to getnewcomment. I'm missing (new) go-to-last-post links.

A reload also makes submit available again - but it erases the message - it's no longer an autosave that happens, which would let you restore the message.

Edited by Akinomaki

The profile feed seems to be gone. I am probably the only one who is unhappy about it  being gone (my feed listed ratings of all the movies I have seen over the last years). Still, I must admit that I am unhappy about it.

• Like 1

I just realized Sigs are missing from messages, and I don't see a place in Profile to add one.

9 hours ago, Gurowake said:

I get the same boundary on every other browser I've tried as well: Opera and Chrome on my PC (I use Firefox most of the time), and Safari on an iPad. 

The boundary goes from darker blue to full white as my viewing angle goes higher on my laptop screen.

The editor bug apparently sits in the auto-format that re-arranges the lines in a paragraph while you type and also does auto-hyphenation (but the browser's spellchecker of course marked autohyphenation even though on the display it was already hyphenated). It seems to appear especially

• if you edit a post
  • if you change to another browser tab while composing the message

It mostly is a relocation of letters, but I have experienced worse. Makes proof-reading a nightmare because you have to do it over and over again after each edit. Especially because it tends to affect a group of short words that the spell-checker all accepts. It might even be a browser specific bug.

Edit: the auto-hyphenation and formatting is especially inutile as the display of the final post is not as wide as in the editor.

Edited by Akinomaki

11 hours ago, hamcornheinz said:

Also, I thought swearing was banned?

Well, if the swearing gets liked by Mods, I guess I'm good for the moment. And, I've got a documented condition, so it's cool.

The swearing, not this aesthetical trainwreck of a usability castration called "update". Its "look and feel", as we IT experts call it, evokes the image of a mutant bastard created by Apple and Facebook on a touchpad with the assistance of Cortana. I threw up a little writing that.

• Like 1

Might be Firefox  - and maybe only at my totally mixed up system - but I often can't write a reply at all - no editor appears. I have to restart the browser to get that work again.

The notification and new PM drop down lists still behave a bit erratic. At first they had disappeared and always the new window with the complete lists appeared. Now still sometimes that window does appear, sometimes the drop down list - but I haven't yet found out when which does.

Edited by Akinomaki

I found the easy way to do nested quotes with a(nother) quote button: you simply have to select the part of the message you want to quote and a "Quote this" button pops up - gets you something like this (you could but don't have to select the whole message):

On 9.8.2016 at 01:22, Asashosakari said:
On 9.8.2016 at 01:04, Gurowake said:

upper left inside another quote so they nest.  It's a little tedious to do back and forth with two chunks of quotes, but it's possible.

That's why I wrote "via the Quote button". Recreating nested quotes by hand is just insane, especially when the first-level post only included a partial quote of the second-level post, and that trimming down would need to be redone manually.

How to trim that easily with more than 2 levels is another question.

6 hours ago, yorikiried by fate said:

this aesthetical trainwreck of a usability castration called "update". Its "look and feel", as we IT experts call it, evokes the image of a mutant bastard created by Apple and Facebook on a touchpad with the assistance of Cortana. I threw up a little writing that.

You're not one of the gamers here then, are you? Here you have a real life Point-and-Click-Adventure, and you are the Uninvited (my favorite one). I don't play games anymore, I'm fully satisfied by playing around with new tools that lack documentation and help.

BTW, did I mention that I'm ignoring the Olympics? - gives me some time for this one here

Edited by Akinomaki

So here is my result of the check of BBCode, which the new forum allegedly doesn't support anymore.

Unsupported:

[thread][highlight][attach][style][video][table][tr][td][noparse] -  [pre] for code (allowed in the last version)

Supported/recognized:

[color font size u b i s left right center indent list&[*  url img email spoiler quote topic post code html php

I was checking in the test forum how incomplete tags swallow up the interior when another pair of sq.brackets appears.

Blank before the reserved tag word renders it harmless, a blank after it only apparently does it - unless it finds a 2nd ] in the same paragraph.

The original text in different paragraphs gives no problem:

To hide contents you have to type [spoiler ]  (without the blank inside - and an end tag if you want to continue to show something).

So you need BBCode knowledge and it's tedious for those who don't have [  ] on the keyboard.

I'm not using this example again (already in this thread) because it is hard to continue writing properly after it. A really smooth swallower are font and size tags. With the first example example sentence as:

• For fonts you have to type [font ]  - without the blank inside - and an end tag.

you get, if you put it in one paragraph with the 2nd sentence above:

For fonts you have to type on the keyboard.

The text in between vanished smoothly, but not without any trace: The editor asks if it should remove the format when I paste the above text into it. The problem is: the new version hides all this code now, also the erroneous  - both BB and HTML. The old version gave you access to both - though HTML only as one line in the code window.

End tags - [/  with the tag name -  are harmless.

You can vary the position of the first ] and get some more odd results. With:

• To hide contents you have to type [spoiler, without the blank inside - and an end tag if you want to continue to show ] something.

Insert a blank after "spoiler" and you get:

• To hide contents you have to type
something.

Edited by Akinomaki

I have the slight impression that some of my posts were flushed by a vacuum in the middle of this process. I don't miss them, but I thought it worth mentioning.

I have acquired a couple notifications.  I seem to be missing a way to clear them from my list after reading them.

30 minutes ago, Asojima said:

I have acquired a couple notifications.  I seem to be missing a way to clear them from my list after reading them.

Same here: a PM notification - reloading the page or clicking on the icon lets it disappear, but it reappears after a while.

Edit: now it's gone for quite some time - ah, back again.

Edited by Akinomaki

Another batch of quick replies.

On 9.8.2016 at 01:07, Asashosakari said:

The sidebar has appeared for me now, though in turn with no option to disable it.

Just like the good old days. :-)

On 9.8.2016 at 01:47, hamcornheinz said:

Is it possible to have some sort of boundary between posts? These sorta just congeal together and are harder to read. 

A high-contrast theme might be an option, but that'll have to wait until we get some other things sorted out first.

On 9.8.2016 at 02:49, Fukurou said:

So what's the appropriate way to flag a mod to lock or unlock a thread you've created?

Hm... One might use the report button on the first post of the topic?

On 9.8.2016 at 08:32, Akinomaki said:

No selection options are provided for BBCode, you have to enter it manually. No problem except for those who want to hide contents: I can't find any other option for that - you have to type

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler button now available in the editor.

On 9.8.2016 at 08:54, Jakusotsu said:

There's a tiny ">" button in the middle of the left side of the screen. (At least for me - don't know if that's mods only, too.)

It's staff only (should be administrator only, methinks).

On 9.8.2016 at 12:00, orandashoho said:

Its funny, Exil, you remind me of someone... that shop of yours, does it happen to be open all hours?

Seriously though, thanks for all the work.

It still is, yes. You're w-w-welcome. ;-)

21 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Saving... stays grey and never saves. You can copy your message (if you still don't trust the autosave), re-open the thread and can send it only then. The new post topic link on the right of the top page brought me to page one of it though - in spite of pretending on mouse-over to getnewcomment. I'm missing (new) go-to-last-post links.

8 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Might be Firefox  - and maybe only at my totally mixed up system - but I often can't write a reply at all - no editor appears. I have to restart the browser to get that work again.

It could be a session timeout thing.

20 hours ago, Randomitsuki said:

The profile feed seems to be gone. I am probably the only one who is unhappy about it  being gone (my feed listed ratings of all the movies I have seen over the last years). Still, I must admit that I am unhappy about it.

Profile -> See my activity -> Status Updates.

18 hours ago, Fukurou said:

I just realized Sigs are missing from messages, and I don't see a place in Profile to add one.

Fixed.

12 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Edit: the auto-hyphenation and formatting is especially inutile as the display of the final post is not as wide as in the editor.

There is no option to disable it, but I'll see if there's anything I can do about it.

10 hours ago, yorikiried by fate said:

...a mutant bastard created by Apple and Facebook on a touchpad with the assistance of Cortana.

Indeed, it follows the current best practices in website design to a T. ;-)

2 hours ago, shumitto said:

I have the slight impression that some of my posts were flushed by a vacuum in the middle of this process. I don't miss them, but I thought it worth mentioning.

This sounds like a serious issue. Could you be a bit more specific?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Fukurou said:

And here I was thinking about getting a p250..

1 hour ago, Exil said:

This sounds like a serious issue. Could you be a bit more specific?

My post count was at 1.016, but I might be mistaken, so if no one else notices anything similar, you had better ignore it.

1 hour ago, shumitto said:

My post count was at 1.016, but I might be mistaken, so if no one else notices anything similar, you had better ignore it.

Post counts were recalculated during the upgrade process. There were some issues with inflated post counts before, they should now be up to date.

• Like 1